Perioli Surname

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Drake

Perioli Surname

Post by Drake »

Hi to everybody. It’s the first time that I write on this forum, but I hope that you can give me a help!
I and My cousin Luca (Italian) we are looking for our family origins (we are same cousins aside fatherly) and we have the same last name.
Unfortunately we can’t discover the sure etymology of our last name, Perioli. Someone can help me? :D (the last name has been given to our ancestor by the commune of Cremona [Italy] in 1800)
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: Perioli Surname

Post by PeterTimber »

Although Perioli appears to have existed as a surname in Cremona in the middle ages (see www.JSTOR.org/action/ShowBasicSearch 1260-1340) but a check of the Italian surname dictionary "Dizionario Dei Cognomi Italiani" by De Felice does not show Perioi as an Italian surname/

It may be that the surname was "imported" into Italy or it may be local to Cremona and nowehere else. its origins for the moment are lost in the mist of time. =Peter=
Drake

Post by Drake »

Today my cousin has looked on Incipit for the etymology of the last name:

-“il suo cognome è un cognome originario dell'appennino parmigiano, dove a partire del XIX secolo si è assistito ad una emigrazione verso il nuovo polo cittadino di La Spezia e in generale il litorale ad esso circostanteâ€
misbris
Master
Master

Post by misbris »

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Where is the Appennino Parmigiano? and what is the source for your origin of the Perioli surname since it appears in the middle ages in Cremona???=Peter=
Drake

Post by Drake »

This is a map. The Appennino Parmigiano is that in the circle.
Cremona is in the North, near Piacenza

My ancestor (second halves the'800) was orphan, and the commune of Cremona has given him the last name Perioli.
Now Im contacting the commune to ask the document that attests it.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

I see then that the name Perioli is local in origin and that iswhy it is not listed in the Italian surname dictionary. Thank you. =Peter=
Drake

Post by Drake »

It won't interest anybody, but I have made a searche (on the site www.cognomiitaliani.org )
This is what I have discovered:

PERIOLI – Cognome spezzino e umbro-toscano, probabile alterazione del cogn. base Pietri.
(I am not very good to translate... :oops: )
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Dear Drake the surname is Italian but eirther imported from abroad in the mists of time or is local in origin but is considered an Italian surname since it is used in conjuction with the Italian surname dictionary which does NOT contain the Perioli surname. =Peter=
Drake

Post by Drake »

I think it is Italian to 100% :D . I have found a document that it tries it:

Perugia (1260)
in an act: "...Agnolellus condam Perioli...".

This tests that my last name was used already as name many centuries ago in all Italy
-Although Perioli appears to have existed as a surname in Cremona in the middle ages (see www.JSTOR.org/action/ShowBasicSearch 1260-1340)-

(I have posted this document on the site www.cognomiitaliani.it, you can see it there )

Probably the Dizionario dei cognomi italiani doesn't bring it because it is very rare... :P
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

I am the person who pfurnished you with the information about Perioli being a middle ages surname for the area mentioned in Italy. I rercall stating that it is either an imported name or local in origin. Since the surname has very little distribution this might account for it not being included among Italian surnames which normally have some historical, grammatical or other connection to the Italian penninsula and hence is local in origin or imported from abroad. Just because it is an old name does not make it an accepted Italian surname. =Peter=
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

I suspect a number of Perioli from the Umbria area of Italy immigrated to England making the Perioli family surname fewer in number from the area of their origin. Go to www.Find my past.com and use it for Perioli name check and it is free of charge and the website runs from 1538 to 2006 and about 7 Perioli are shown to have left England for USA, South Africa, canada while ellisisna,d.org show about 8 Perioli from Ireland and Ascoli and Gubbio Italy fruther depleting the Perioli to where it is today. =Peter=
pablo14

Post by pablo14 »

Hi, my great-great grandfather was Paul Perioli and he came from La Spezia. I am from Belfast, Ireland and if you check the link you will see from the 1911 census his detailsas well as his family's. His childrens names were anglcised, i.e. Giuseppe was changed to Joseph.

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/s ... renLiving=