Davide Family Search - Napoli

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
jeannierivera
Rookie
Rookie

Davide Family Search - Napoli

Post by jeannierivera »

Hello, I am new at this just registered and this is my first time posting on any forum so bare with :D

I am searching for information about my great grandparents: Cordialmo Davide, born in or around Naples April 1857, and Rosina Davide born (Rosina Guida) July 1857, they immigrated to the US and sailed port of Naples to Port of NY 1888 with daughter Jenny Davide born June 1887 also in Italy.

After arriving in NY they had four more children Joseph - June 1889 THIS IS MY GREAT GRANDFATHER, Frank (May 1893), Anthony (June 1895) and Laura (Feb 1898) all were born in Brooklyn NY except for Jenny who was born in Italy and traveled with them to the US.

I do not know the exact comune or I should say do not have any proof of comune, I was always told they were born in Napoli. I did a little digging and there are currently 417 "Davide" in the Italian white pages with more than a quarter living in Napoli today and much more in the province of Napoli in various other comunes -Qualiano is the second most populated with "Davide" surname only a very very distant second to living right in the city of Naples. I made a list of most probably comunes to check from what I know of our family history and correlating families in the white pages in Italy now but am not sure how to proceed from here.

Also my great grandmother - was born in Italy I have a suspicion that it was in San Guiseppe (province Naples) on Sept 24 1891 born what looks to be Maria Costanza on my grandfather's baptism certificate. She wound up in NYC married to my great grandfather and died Oct 15, 1930 not much is known of her as she passed when my grandfather was young and I do not know when her family immigrated to the US.

Any advise or information anyone can contribute would be greatly appreciated. Sorry so long for my first post.
vj
Master
Master

Re: Davide Family Search - Napoli

Post by vj »

Welcome to the Forum :D !
Your post was terrific, plenty of information.
We'll be happy to see what we can do to help find your
family's town of origin.
Valarie
jeannierivera
Rookie
Rookie

Post by jeannierivera »

Thank you so much, it is wonderful to see a reply from someone so quickly.
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

Just for reference, is this the correct census?

From ancestry.com
possible 1900 census

Home in 1900:
145 Union Street
Brooklyn Ward 6, Kings, New York

Head Cordialine Davide 43, born Apr 1857 IT
- married 16 yrs, abt 1884
- immig 1888, in US 12 yrs, Na (naturalized citizen)
- carpenter
- rents
Wife Russi Davide 42, born July 1857 IT
- 6 children born, 5 children living
- immig 1888, in US 12 yrs
Daughter Jenny Davide 12, born Jun 1887 IT
- immig 1888, in US 12 yrs
Son Joseph Davide 10, born Jun 1889 NY
Son Frank Davide 7, born May 1893 NY
Son Toni Davide 5, born Jun 1895 NY
Daughter Loui Davide 2, born Feb 1898 NY
jeannierivera
Rookie
Rookie

Post by jeannierivera »

Yes it sure is...First names were spelled incorrectly but that is nothing out of the ordinary for Italian immigrates of that time. Any idea where to go from here...

The family shows up on a 1920 census as well, but with a wife listed as Anna and she is 20 years younger so I assume that my great great grandfather remarried after his first wife Rosina (Russi) above passed.

This is as far as I can get... no ship records to look at for place of birth, they came before Ellis Island and I can't find anything through the Castle Garden site either for ports of NY.
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

Hi!, you're right, the manifest is hard to find.
Chances are that the town may not be on it since it's so early.

Best bet may be to order your family's vital records from NY,
they may include the town, not just 'Italy'
In case you've never done this before, this may help:

Dr Steve Morse One Step Search Pages for New York
NY Naturalization
NYC Birth Records 1891-1902 requires ancestry.com subscription
NYC Groom Index 1864-1936
NYC Bride Index ????-1937
NYC Death Records 1891-1948

Ordering NYC Vital Records
New York City Archives
---

And, if you haven’t found Cordialmo’s sons’ 1917 WWI Draft Registration Cards
on ancestry.com yet, they’re misfiled.
(search Frank J David*: images 92, 93 & 94 of 640)

Joseph
19 Jun 1889 NY

Frank
19 Mar 1893 NY

Anthony
22 Jan 1895 NY
jeannierivera
Rookie
Rookie

Post by jeannierivera »

WOW the funny things we notice. My father and my brother are both named after my great grandfather Joseph, and when I looked at the Draft Registration (Where did you find those by the way?) his signature looks like an identical match to my brother... how odd is that.

And my great uncle Frank - new tidbid we share the same birthday. Odd things you notice huh?

I am going to look through the links you have sent me, this has just been awesome. I am sure I will have bunches of questions :) hope your patient with me.
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

Oh my, not to worry, we all love to help.
The WWI Cards are from ancestry.com (subscription)

That's pretty neat that your family followed traditional naming patterns:
from ancestry.com library:
http://www.ancestry.com/learn/library/a ... ticle=8317
Naming Children
It is also important to know your immigrant ancestor's given name or names. Since at least the sixteenth century, tradition has dictated how Italian parents name their children. A couple's first son is given the name of the father's father; the first daughter is given the name of the father's mother. The second son is given the name of the mother's father; the second daughter is given the name of the mother's mother. Subsequent children are given their parents' names, or the names of favorite or unmarried or deceased aunts and uncles. Because of this custom, the same given names reappear in Italian families generation after generation.
You're right about significant dates popping up - it is a surprise
when that happens.

Valarie
jeannierivera
Rookie
Rookie

Post by jeannierivera »

A quick search of the indexes and I did find the date my great grandparents were married... April 33, 1917 - I am still beginning to think my great grandmother was a ghost though...lol

I have her mass card that tells me when she died, and of course with her married name on it, I have her wedding date, from the Groom Index but it did not cross reference his bride and bride search came up empty. She died October 15, 1930, do you know if funeral homes (that is if it is still around) keep records back that far generally? Since the only thing I am able to come up with is her mass card?
jeannierivera
Rookie
Rookie

Post by jeannierivera »

Your a genius! My great grandfather's name: Joseph, my grandfather John, my father Joseph, my brother (first born son) John, by brother (second borns on) Joseph.... and now I know why there was a fight over my name I was the first born daughter and my father refused to name me after his mother LOL They named me Jeannie - I cannot tell you how many times I have heard thoughout my life that my name was supposed to be Ella...they never really did let that go. LOL

If they kept this going though... it only stands to reason that it probably went that way - backwards- and might give me some ideas about what names I am looking for going back even further than this. I can bet that Cordialmo's father's name is probably Joseph since he named his first born Joseph.

I did find something online for USCIS naturalization records that as of Aug 16th you can now order Geneaology records - do you think that these records could possibly show a birth place other than just "Italy" if any records exist?
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

You're right, naming traditions can be a big help.
It is possible that Rose had a son before Joseph though (see 1900
census, 6 children born...)

Naturalization record:
According to your 1920 census, he was still an alien.
The 1900 census could be incorrect.
If he did naturalize, there wasn't much information on the
pre 1906 naturalization records.

Did you notice 'Cordialivio' Davide's death record in the Steve Morse
one step pages? That's a good possibility if the informant knew exactly
where your g-g-grandfather was born.
Valarie
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

jeannierivera wrote:A quick search of the indexes and I did find the date my great grandparents were married... April 33, 1917 - I am still beginning to think my great grandmother was a ghost though...lol

I have her mass card that tells me when she died, and of course with her married name on it, I have her wedding date, from the Groom Index but it did not cross reference his bride and bride search came up empty. She died October 15, 1930, do you know if funeral homes (that is if it is still around) keep records back that far generally? Since the only thing I am able to come up with is her mass card?
The Kings County Bride index wasn't done for 1917 (yet)
Yes, funeral homes are a great resource along with cemeteries.
It doesn't hurt to try both places for her record.
Valarie
jeannierivera
Rookie
Rookie

Post by jeannierivera »

Cordialivio Davide I looked at it just now - yes that is definitely him I believe this guy seems to have more names than I can keep track of. How in the world will I figure out what the correct spelling is censu, birth, death all different spellings.

But the year that this lists is consistent with his age according to the 1920 census which the spelling was different from the now four spellings that I have, AND being in the same county, AND one year after my grand father was born in 1921 I would say the it is most probably him. How did you find that I am lacking some serious search techniques here lol. This, if him, could be a major development as it has dates and a Certificate Number so if I order the vital record I hopefully have the name as spelled on that certificate and the cert. # That should be very helpful!
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

Also my great grandmother - was born in Italy I have a suspicion that it was in San Guiseppe (province Naples) on Sept 24 1891 born what looks to be Maria Costanza on my grandfather's baptism certificate. She wound up in NYC married to my great grandfather and died Oct 15, 1930 not much is known of her as she passed when my grandfather was young and I do not know when her family immigrated to the US.
Maria Costanza?
g-grandfather Joseph Davide's wife?

Does this 1920 census look possible for your g-grandparents?

Edit: added details

Home in 1920:
66 First Place, rents
Brooklyn Assembly District 8, Kings, New York

Head Joseph David 30, abt 1890 NY
- mattress maker
Wife Mary David 24, abt 1896 NY
- parents born in IT
Son Anthony David 10/12, abt 1919 NY

In-laws:
Mother-in-law Anna Costanza 56, abt 1864 IT
Brother-in-law Tony Costanza 22, abt 1898 NY
Sister-in-law Josephine Costanza 20, abt 1900 NY
Sister-in-law Rose Costanza 17, abt 1903 NY
Sister-in-law Virginia Costanza 15, abt 1905 NY
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

jeannierivera wrote:Cordialivio Davide I looked at it just now - yes that is definitely him I believe this guy seems to have more names than I can keep track of. How in the world will I figure out what the correct spelling is censu, birth, death all different spellings.

But the year that this lists is consistent with his age according to the 1920 census which the spelling was different from the now four spellings that I have, AND being in the same county, AND one year after my grand father was born in 1921 I would say the it is most probably him. How did you find that I am lacking some serious search techniques here lol. This, if him, could be a major development as it has dates and a Certificate Number so if I order the vital record I hopefully have the name as spelled on that certificate and the cert. # That should be very helpful!
You're right, many names can be very confusing.
It really depended upon who was giving the information and when.
Census records can be awful for deciphering names.

The last name 'Davide' can also be an americanized version of your original surname.
The possibilites are too numerous to list since the prefix D', Da', De', Di', etc
could have been part of the name.
This could be part of the reason why your manifest is so tough to locate.

At least your US records are pretty consistent with Davide/David.
Valarie