Where the heck is Baia Santino or Bai Atine?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
ritzbaby

Where the heck is Baia Santino or Bai Atine?

Post by ritzbaby »

I have been sucked into the geneology vortex and can't get out....this stuff is addicting.

Anyway, I am stumped. I am working on getting all the info my dad and I need for dual citizenship. So far, I have his parents birth certs, and thanks to your help have their wedding cert on order and also both of THEIR parents wedding certs (all were New Haven, CT).

THEIR parents were all from Italy (so all of my dad's grandparents). I am trying to figure out exactly where in Italy so I can order their birth certs, etc. I am clear on all but one....

One of the grandparents is Serafino (Samuel) Nacca, born 7/16/1887, arrived with his sister Assunta (born in 1882) on the Lombardia from Naples May 22, 1902. Then moved to New Haven, CT.

On his daughter's (my grandma's/my dad's mom's) birth cert, the midwife handwrote his birthplace as Bai Atine.

On a later draft document HE handwrote his birthplace as Baia Santino.

I can find neither!! I figured out that Baia is "Bay" and I found a Santino but it is no where near water, so the bay part does not make sense to me.

Anyone have any idea about this? I tried to search more on Assunta in case there was more clarification on her records but all I find on her is the same manifest which doesn't help. Thanks in advance, the info here is incredible!
vj
Master
Master

Re: Where the heck is Baia Santino or Bai Atine?

Post by vj »

ritzbaby wrote:One of the grandparents is Serafino (Samuel) Nacca, born 7/16/1887, arrived with his sister Assunta (born in 1882)
on the Lombardia from Naples May 22, 1902. Then moved to New Haven, CT.
On his daughter's (my grandma's/my dad's mom's) birth cert, the midwife handwrote his birthplace as Bai Atine.
On a later draft document HE handwrote his birthplace as Baia Santino.
Just for everyone’s reference, your 1942 Draft Registration Card and 1902 manifest:

1942 Draft Registration Card

1902 manifest
Lines 27-8
Last residence Baia Lat, destination NY
Note: probably traveling with line 23 - Margherita Del Giudice
(also on detained page below)

detained page
Line 103
Joining brother? Giovanni in New Castle??
---

Last residence on the 1902 manifest may be:
Baia E Latina, Caserta, Campania
---

1917 WWI Draft Registration Card
includes birth location
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Baia E Latina, Postale 81010, Provincia Caserta is a comune. Is this it? =Peter=
ritzbaby

Post by ritzbaby »

vj thanks for all the links. I think that maybe the 2nd draft card is possibly not him...different birth year and Nack as last name? But maybe those types of mistakes are normal?

Peter thanks, looks like a strong possibility, we do know he is from the Naples vicinity.

My dad is checking too and found the following and seems to think this is it (it is SOOO nice there-beware before you click!):
http://www.encyclopedia.com/doc/1E1-Baia.html
The Columbia Encyclopedia, Sixth Edition | Date: 2008
Baia , Lat. Baiae, village, in Campania, S Italy, on the Bay of Naples.

However, I am still very confused about the Satino on the draft card and Atine on the birth cert. Also I do not know what the Lat. is in the encyclopedia name.

Thoughts on this?
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Dear ritzbaby sorry to inform you that Baia is a "frazione" ( frazione=neighborhood, suburb absorbed by larger town) which in your case is BACOLI, Postale 80070, Province of Napoli..... =Peter=
ritzbaby

Post by ritzbaby »

Never mind on my draft card comment. For whatever reason they are also Nack on the 1920 census which is why I could not find that. Thank you VJ. So I think that is definitely his draft card. Why oh why does everything have to always be just slightly off!!

So Peter by george I think you've got it.

(and bummer about Baia :) )
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

aaaaah! vision of beaches,babes and bambinas gone down the drain!!! =Peter=
arianalara

Post by arianalara »

Hello! We are relatives...I know it has been many years since you posted this. My 2nd great grandfather is Giovanni Nacca, the brother of Serafino Nacca who lived in New Haven, CT.

I hope you got your citizenship! We still have family in Baia Latina!