Italian Cemeteries Question

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
fjrosaio

Italian Cemeteries Question

Post by fjrosaio »

I have read a couple postings on this forum over the past year or so stating that it is illegal to photograph gravestones in Italian cemeteries.

I thought perhaps our experts here could shed some more light on this topic.

My cousins, who live in a small town in the province of Savona, have sent me many photographs over the years of our relatives’ gravestones in the cemetery in my family’s town. My relatives here in the U.S. who have gone over to visit have also always taken many pictures in the cemetery during their visits.

When I was speaking to my cousin in Italy on the phone earlier this week, I asked him about this, and he told me he had never heard of this law, and he was an assistant to the mayor a few years ago. I emailed another cousin who lives over there and she also said she never heard of that law, she has often taken pictures in the cemetery.

I certainly don’t doubt the knowledge of the experts on board here, but I wonder if perhaps this law is something that is enforced more strictly in certain parts of Italy, and not others? Or perhaps this is a new law and not everyone knows about it yet?

Anyone know anything more about this?

Thank you!
Frank R.
JamesBianco
Staff
Staff

Re: Italian Cemeteries Question

Post by JamesBianco »

Thank you so much for sharing your own experience with taking photos in an Italian cemetery. You give me hope! I am eager to hear more about this topic, as I would very much like to take some photographs the next time I am in Italy.

Anyone have clarification on this topic?

:D
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

Hi All!

I'm italian... I don't have clarifications about this law but if some people spoke about it I'm sure it does exist.... even if I've never heard of it before....
And, sincerely, me and my husband were various times in a big and beautiful monumental cemetery in Genoa (Staglieno)... my husband took photos, we met the gards but nobody told us to stop....
In my town there are various cemeteries with no guards so I'm sure I could take photos with no problems...
Laura
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

This is from the rules about the cemeteries in Milan:

http://www.comune.milano.it/portale/wps ... re+servizi

È vietato calpestare e danneggiare aiuole e sepolture, bere, mangiare, gettare rifiuti al di fuori dei contenitori, fare fotografie e riprese senza autorizzazione.

..keep of the grass, forbidden to spoil lawns and tombs, drink, eat, throw rubbish out of the containers, take photos and films without authorization...

So better ask before in a big cemetery....

Staglieno in Genoa is a very big cemetery.... maybe it's a monumental cemetery and people can take photos (?)

Laura :?
fjrosaio

Post by fjrosaio »

This is what my cousins in Italy said as well, they had never heard of this law. However, they both also dismissed it and told me not to worry about it. The only place I've ever heard/read about this law was on a couple postings on this forum. I know things in Italy can vary greatly from region to region, so I'm hoping some others will jump in here to offer additional information or to share their own experiences taking photographs in Italian cemeteries.

Perhaps someone can offer some clarity on the law itself? I have often asked my cousins to go to the cemetery and take a snapshot of this grave or that grave. I would not want to continue to ask them to do something that is unlawful, or will end up getting them in trouble.

Of course, if the natives themselves aren't worried about it....

Thanks again!
Frank
fjrosaio

Post by fjrosaio »

Laura,

Thanks for the information and the link.

It is the same here in the U.S., sometimes you will find signs posted in private cemeteries here stating that photography (among other things) is forbidden. In fact, there was a recent incident that appeared in a local newspaper where two women were asked to leave a cemetery because they were taking photographs of the headstone of a famous author (there was a sign posted stating that photography is forbidden).

However, this is uncommon and it is not a "law." Most of the time you can take all the pictures you want and no one will bother you ....

Thanks again!
Frank
dvaccaro
Rookie
Rookie

Post by dvaccaro »

while visiting my small ancestral town in Sicily, it was a local police officer who showed us around and took us to the cemetery where many photos were taken. some photos even included the police officer and cemetery caretaker.
~ Santa Ninfa, Trapani, Sicily ~
~ San Nicola da Crissa, Catanzaro, Italy ~
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by ricbru »

usually the law is issued by the mayor, because the cemetery is always run by the municipality.
since a cemetery is a place where our ancestors rest forever, and it is a place where anyone has to be quite and respect the death people, it is a common law that people must behave good.
At least, I suggest anyone to ask permission at least to the guardian of cemetery, or write to the mayor for permission (especially if you come from far away just for that purpose, so request a written authorization)
When I went to Milazzo cemetery on 2005, in order to take pictures to tombstones for a lady who lives in NY, I wrote a request for permission, and the mayor replied to me giving me the authorization ; when I shown the permission to the guardians they were very nice to me and they shown me where all the tombstones were located.
I hope it helps
bye Riccardo