Surname Gaschoni

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Cazzie

Surname Gaschoni

Post by Cazzie »

Could anyone help me with this surname? My grandfather several times removed was born around 1815 his full name was FRANCIS RAPHAEL GASCHONI. I understand there may be variations on the spelling, but we cannot trace this surname further back than a birth in Egypt in 1836 (Francis' son). The family eventually came to England. Does anyone think this may have originated in Italy or maybe Sicily?
Your help would be gratefully accepted.
uantiti
Elite
Elite

Re: Surname Gaschoni

Post by uantiti »

Hi
for sure GASCHONI is not the correct spelling. There are many GUASCONI in Northern Italy (provinces of Pavia, Piacenza, Lodi) and one in Palermo (Sicily).
Also GASTONI is found in the province of AGRIGENTO (Sicily).

Ada
Cazzie

Post by Cazzie »

Many thanks Ada, for this information, we are still puzzling as to why Francis's son was born in Egypt! I don't know if you have seen my other message wanting help with a translation? This actually mentions the name Gaschoni....however, it is from 1515!
By the way, I have just browsed your previous messages and I have a cousin in Sacramento, California who is a genealogist. Maybe he could help you if you still require it!
Caz
uantiti
Elite
Elite

Post by uantiti »

Cazzie
I think you can find Italians anywhere in the world so don't be suprised if Francis's son was born in Egypt.
I have seen your other message. I could understand some words but cannot put together the complete meaning, there seems to be something missing. There are very clever members here who can help better than me.

Thanks for the offer but I found the Saccos I was looking for in California and got in touch with them.

Ciao Ada
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

The Gaschoni you are referring to in the other post are soldiers coming from Gascony, an area of southwest France.
Cazzie

Post by Cazzie »

Many thanks for all your help!
It is very much appreciated.
Caz
Lucap
Master
Master

Post by Lucap »

liviomoreno wrote:The Gaschoni you are referring to in the other post are soldiers coming from Gascony, an area of southwest France.
Avevo risposto la stessa cosa nell'altra discussione... solo con un po' di ritardo rispetto alla tua.
Almeno, però, Cazzie (un po' cacofonico come diminutivo) può avere la certezza che con la sua famiglia non c'entra niente.

Ciao
Luca
Cazzie

Post by Cazzie »

I'm sorry but I don't speak Italian
Cazzie

Post by Cazzie »

So do you think my family originally came from Gascony (or Guascogna) France, then later settled in Italy to become Guasconis and once they had arrived in the UK, they reverted back to Gaschoni? I'd really appreciate your suggestions.

Caz
Lucap
Master
Master

Post by Lucap »

Cazzie wrote:I'm sorry but I don't speak Italian
I apologize for my italian, but i addressed my answer to Livio so i didn't write it in english. Nothing relevant for the topic, however.
Cazzie wrote:So do you think my family originally came from Gascony (or Guascogna)
:roll: It could be, but no conclusions are allowed in genealogy without a serious research that can show you the link with that region.

Luca
Cazzie

Post by Cazzie »

As I have now received a considerable amount of information regarding GASCHONI/GUASCHONI/GUASCONI for which I am very very grateful,
could someone please tell me how I can find the birth record of my ancester FRANCIS RAPHAEL GASCHONI, which I am now assuming was in Italy - around 1810-1815?
Many thanks
Caz
sylogician
Rookie
Rookie

Post by sylogician »

Start by trying to find out more about the son born in Egypt. The birth records should be available.

The heart of the Catholic Community (particularly for French and Italian expatriates living and working in Epyt) is the Vicariate Apostolic of Alexandria. They may be able to help you locate the parish records for births in the early nineteenth century. The address is:

Vicariate Apostolic Of Alexandria
10 Rue Sidi El-Metwalli
Alexandrie, Egypte
I couldn't find the postal code.

As a side note, from 1839 to 1859 the Bishop of the Alexandria Vicariate was Bishop Perpetuo Guasco who was born in Solerno in 1803.

Egypt in the early 1800's was under the leadership of a progressive ruler named Muhammad Ali who sent many young Egyptians abroad for education and brought in many skilled Europeans to teach and advise Egyptians on a variety of subjects. Alexandria was the primary residence for most of the European community, so this is a good place to start looking.

Good luck,

David
Cazzie

Post by Cazzie »

Thanks once again David!!
I must admit I didn't know where to start!
I will let you know.
Much appreciated.
Caz
Cazzie

Post by Cazzie »

Just to complicate things a little more..
Aaron Gaschoni who was born in Egypt in 1836 has the status of "British Subject" shown on the Census returns when he arrived in England.
Obviously we do not know where his father was born and we do not know anything about his mother at all.
I am just a little confused as to why he would be classed as a British Subject at this time.
Cazzie

Post by Cazzie »

Just to keep you updated, have heard nothing back from Egypt.
So still searching for the elusive "Gaschoni's"
Caz