Searching for any info about Martella Aldi AKA Perretta

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
calabresella

Searching for any info about Martella Aldi AKA Perretta

Post by calabresella »

I am doing some reseach on my great grandmother Martella Perretta in Alde. I know that she migrated to Buffalo, NY, USA and worked for a Count. I believe she married a man called Alde or Aldi.

Would anybody give me some direction on how to find out some information about her, ie. dob, dod, children etc.
Thank you
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: Searching for any info about Martella Aldi AKA Perretta

Post by PeterTimber »

Since you are a newbie and just starting out may I suggest that you go to http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... earch.html which will be a great start for you.

If you run into any problems then get back to us. =Peter=
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

Have you located any documentation on her? Ship manifest will list her age, giving you a rough idea of birthyear. Placed her on census with family? Checked for naturalization?
wldspirit

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Does any of this look familiar?

1910 United States Federal Census
about Martella Alde
Name: Martella Alde
[Martella Aldi]
Age in 1910: 33
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1877
Birthplace: Italy
Relation to Head of House: Wife
Father's Birth Place: Italy
Mother's Birth Place: Italy
Spouse's Name: Michael
Home in 1910: Rotterdam, Schenectady, New York
Marital Status: Married
Race: White
Year of Immigration: 1903
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members:
Name Age
Michael Alde 32
Martella Alde 33
Joseph Alde 6
Joseph Magine 30
Magnate Magine 26
Joseph Stephen 28
Tony Sowe 30
Joseph Jones 40

According to the census information, which is a horrible image, they married when they were 17, she has had two pregnancies but only 1 child survived (Joseph 6) and she arrived in 1903. Her husband arrived in 1898. He worked for the RR, she is a stay at home mom.
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

On the assumption it is the right family..and its only an assumption of course, here they are in the 1920 Census.

1920 United States Federal Census
about Martha Aldi
Name: Martha Aldi
Home in 1920: Rotterdam, Schenectady, New York
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1876
Birthplace: Italy
Spouse's Name: Michael
Father's Birth Place: Italy
Mother's Birth Place: Italy
Marital Status: Married
Race: White
Sex: Female
Year of Immigration: 1901
Able to read: No
Able to Write: No
Image: 307
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members:
Name Age
Michael Aldi 46
Martha Aldi 44
Joseph Aldi 16
Albert Mazey 29
Andrew Pasco 30

No new information except it says she immigrated in 1901 but Naturalized in 1903. Still says that she is a stay at home mom though. Perhaps you can can confirm some of this before I continue. I would hate to overwhelm you with information that may not even be yours.
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
calabresella

Post by calabresella »

Hello Nuccia,
This is she, all the details seem to correspond. Except her first pregnancy did actually survive. He was the illegitimate child of the count she worked for in Buffalo USA. He was given away to be raised by a "governante" who took him back to Naples. He was born in 1899 and named Giuseppe also.

I would love to obtain any other details about her and her other son Joseph.

Thank you so much.
Calabresella
Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

1930 census
Name: Martha Aldi
Home in 1930: Rotterdam, Schenectady, New York
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1875
Spouse's Name: Micheal
Household Members: Name Age
Micheal Aldi, head, age 57
Martha Aldi, wife, age 55, immigration 1903, naturalized
Joseph A Aldi, son, age 27,
Florence Aldi, daughter in law, age 30
(year of marriage for Joseph and Florence about 1925)

Biff
"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"
Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

Two possible SSDI recordsfor Joseph Aldi:

Social Security Death Index

Name: Joseph Aldi
SSN: 124-18-xxxx
Last Residence: 12308 Schenectady, Schenectady, New York, United States of America
Born: 29 Oct 1904
Died: Jun 1971
State (Year) SSN issued: New York (Before 1951)

Name: Joseph Aldi
SSN: 075-28-xxxx
Last Residence: 12306 Schenectady, Schenectady, New York, United States of America
Born: 3 May 1904
Died: 17 May 2001
State (Year) SSN issued: New York (1951-1953)

SSDI for wife Florence
Name: Florence Aldi
SSN: 074-03-XXXX
Last Residence: 12306 Schenectady, Schenectady, New York, United States of America
Born: 19 Mar 1899
Last Benefit: 12306 Schenectady, Schenectady, New York, United States of America
Died: Aug 1981
State (Year) SSN issued: New York (Before 1951)

Biff
"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"
calabresella

Post by calabresella »

Would there be any information relating to children Joseph and Florence Aldi?

To give you some background, Martella Perretta was my great grandmonther, her illegitimate child Giuseppe was my grandfather. It would be great to locate the children of Joseph and florence as they would be my cousins.

Thank you so much for all the details so far, it has helped tremendously in building the family tree. Information on this relative is limited as my grandfather Giuseppe Perretta died in 1953, and my mother was orphaned at age 11, so she is only able to rely on information she gathered from hearing her brothers talk about.

My mother remembers that Martella lived in Villa Maria Road, Buffalo. I wonder if it is possible to locate any documents linking her to this address. Apparently the Count Martella worked for lived there. The Count's name was Stefano, and I would love to find out who he was, because he was my Great Grandfather, albeit illegitimate.

Thanks again
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

calabresella wrote:Would there be any information relating to children Joseph and Florence Aldi?
from GenealogyBank
Times Union, The (Albany, NY)
May 19, 2001
ROTTERDAM
Joseph Aldi, 97, of Mariaville Rd., died Thursday afternoon at Ellis Hospital after a brief illness.

He was a longtime businessman and philanthropist.
Mr. Aldi was born in Rotterdam Junction and graduated from Woestena High School.
In the early 1930s, Mr. Aldi founded a truck hauling business which lead to the purchase of heavy equipment for road paving and sewer and water construction and development.
After World War II, Mr. Aldi formed Aldi Construction Company, retiring in 1986.
Mr. Aldi was a communicant of Our Lady of Assumption Roman Catholic Church, Rotterdam; a life member of the Rotterdam Lions Club and a founder of the South Schenectady Fire Department.
Mr. Aldi was the widower of Florence Mastroianni Aldi.

Survivors include his six cousins, Anthony J. Palumbo, Stephen Palumbo and Joseph R. Palumbo, all of Rotterdam, Angelina Hobart and Lee Lupo, both of North Adams, MA, and Catherine Whitaker of Camarillo, CA.

Funeral services Monday morning at 8 o'clock from the N. Rossi & Sons Funeral Home, Union at N. Jay Streets and then to Our Lady of Assumption Roman Catholic Church, Princetown Road, Rotterdam, where a Mass of Christian Burial will be celebrated at 9 o'clock.
Interment will be in St. Mary's Cemetery, Amsterdam.
Calling hours, Sunday evening from 6 to 8 o'clock.
Memorial contributions may be made to Our Lady of the Assumption Roman Catholic Church, Building Fund, 3034 Ford Ave., Schenectady, NY 12306.
Times Union, The (Albany, NY)
December 21, 2002
ROTTERDAM
Stephen Palumbo, 76, of Amsterdam Ave., passed away into the hands of the Lord on Thursday, December 19, 2002 at Ellis Hospital with his family at his side.
Born on March 24, 1926, in North Adams, Mass., he was a son of the late John and Stephanie Peretta Palumbo.
His family settled into the local area when he was a small boy.
Stephen is a graduate of the former Draper High School. He also attended Union and Hudson Valley Colleges. For 16 years, he worked for General Electric and then for New York State as a heating and ventilation engineer in Albany until his retirement.
Stephen was a proud World War II veteran of the United States Air Force.
His beloved wife, Marie (dee Delafano) Palumbo of 56 years, whom he married on February 16, 1946 survives him.
Stephen was a member of the 15th Air Force Association, a member of the Rotterdam Elks, the Rotterdam Knights of Columbus and the Holy Name Society.
He was a communicant of Our Lady of Assumption Church where he had duties as an usher and in the maintenance department.
He enjoyed gardening, attending Air Force reunions, camping, hockey, and hunting.
He was noted for being a wonderful and loving husband and father and a man with a good heart who helped many, many people.

Besides his wife, he is survived by two loving daughters and one son-in-law, Denise Palumbo of Ballston Spa and Joanne and Richard Reynolds-Wagnor of Rotterdam; and two loving grandsons, John Stephen Reynolds of Albany.
Stephen also leaves behind two loving brothers, Anthony Palumbo and Joseph and his wife Helene Palumbo;
his sister-in-law and brother-in-law, Mike and Betty Madalone, all of Rotterdam;
several nieces and nephews.

Family and friends are invited to call at the Demarco Stone Funeral Home Inc., 1605 Helderberg Ave., Rotterdam on Sunday evening December 22, 2002 from 4 to 6 p.m.
Funeral services will be held on Monday, December 23, 2002 at 8:15 a.m. at the funeral home.
Immediately following a Mass of Christian Burial will be celebrated at 9 a.m. at Our Lady of Assumption Church, Princetown Road, Rotterdam.
Interment will follow in Most Holy Redeemer Cemetery, Troy-Schenectady Road, Niskayuna.
---

Palumbo family in Rotterdam 1930?

1930 census

Home in 1930:
Mariaville Rd, owns $4000
Rotterdam, Schenectady, New York

Head John Colunbo 36, abt 1894 IT
- age at 1st marriage, 30 (abt 1924)
- immig 1911 Al
- section man, steam railroad
Wife Stelfene Colunbo 42, abt 1888 IT
- age at 1st marriage 36
- immig 1913 Al
Son Anthony Colunbo 6, abt 1924 NY
Son Stephen Colunbo 4 11/12, abt 1925 NY
Son Joseph Colunbo 2 7/12, abt 1927 NY
---

Stephanie Perretta Palumbo’s manifest?

possible 1913 manifest
page 2

2 Dec 1913 SS Verona, Naples to NY
Line 20
Stefana Parretta 25 (abt 1888)
- single
- last residence Caiazzo (Caserta, Campania)
- note could also be Piana di Caiazzo
- in Caiazzo, mother Angela
- destination Boston MA
- joining sister ?? in Boston
- born in Caiazzo
---

Note: currently 13 people with the surname Perretta in Caiazzo
calabresella

Post by calabresella »

This information is sensational!

So would it be safe to assume from these obituaries that Joseph and Florence Aldi did not have any children of their own?

Also how is it that my Grandfather Giuseppe Perretta, born 1899 has no records? Is it possible to prove he existed? I'm starting to think that he was born in Italy not USA. If Martella emigrated in 1903 to
America, he would already have been born, and she was already married to Michael Aldi which means she cheated on him whilst he was away in America with somebody in Italy, not the other way around! An interesting turn of event...but I need proof of where my grandfather was born to establish this theory. I would appreciate any help there?

Thanks guys, you are all very talented and are helping open up a time capsule that has been sealed since my Grandfather was born. My mother has always been left in the dark where my grandfather is concerned and now at 65 years of age she can know her roots!
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

calabresella wrote:This information is sensational!
Also how is it that my Grandfather Giuseppe Perretta, born 1899 has no records? Is it possible to prove he existed? I'm starting to think that he was born in Italy not USA. If Martella emigrated in 1903 to
America, he would already have been born, and she was already married to Michael Aldi which means she cheated on him whilst he was away in America with somebody in Italy, not the other way around! An interesting turn of event...but I need proof of where my grandfather was born to establish this theory. I would appreciate any help there?
It's great that we could make some connections for you!

Do you know how Stefana (Stephanie) Perretta Palumbo is related?

We would be happy to look for your grandfather Giuseppe, but we
could use some more clues:
- where did he live, did he go by any other name
- wife's name, birth date & location
- children's names & birth dates
- do you know when Giuseppe arived in the US

Thanks!
Valarie
calabresella

Post by calabresella »

Hi Valarie,
I'm very excited about how the story is unfolding.

Regarding Stefana Perretta Palumbo, I am guessing it was Martella Perretta Aldi's sister, because in Joseph Aldi's(1906) Obituary it is mentioned he leaves behind his cousins (children of Stefanie and John Palumbo). In some of the records it also states that Stefana had a sister.

The story goes like this: Martella Perretta Aldi gave birth to my grandfather, her first child, but he was the result of a scandalous affair, so Martella did not raise him, a "governante" or housekeeper/nanny by the name of Giulia raised him. At some point, (not sure of the details) my grandfather returned to Naples with Giulia. However, there are no passenger records from any ship manifests to confirm this. There is also contradicting evidence from the records provided so far that states that Martella Aldi was married in Italy and migrated to the US in 1903. My grandfather was born in 1899. So perhaps my Grandfather Giuseppe was actually born in Italy and never travelled by ship at all, contradicting the story my mother was told growing up. This is why I would like to trace evidence of my grandfather's birth and details of his birth mother.

The details I know about my Grandfather Giuseppe Perretta are as follows:

Mother of Giuseppe: Martella Perretta (Aldi)
Giuseppe Perretta Born: 12th February 1899
Giuseppe Perretta Died: 5th March 1953
Giuseppe Married: Luigia Montanino born Casalnuovo, Naples July 1900, Died 29th July 1959, mother and father Angela and Antonio Montanino.
Children all born in Casalnuovo, Naples, Italy:
1. Antonio (1927)
2. Stefano (1929)
3. Giulio (1930)
4. Giorgio (1931)
5. Martella (1939)
6. Angela (8-6-1942) - my mother

We would also like to confirm dates of death for Michael Aldi and Martella Aldi if possible, and records of when they were married to confirm whether or not Martella was married to Michael Aldi at the time of my Grandfather's birth. the big question is why did my grandfather have the surname Perretta and not Aldi if my great grandmother Martella was already an Aldi at the time of his birth.
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

Thanks for the great summary :D !
Have you written to Italy to get your grandfather’s records?
If not, you’ll likely find some great information.
Italian records are wonderful for listing complete information.
They're kept at the comune level, so knowing the correct town is critical.

Is the town Casalnuovo di Napoli?

I would start with their marriage record (act), since he may have been born
elsewhere.
It should list where they were both born & their parents names.
Their children's birth certificates (acts) will also provide great information on their parents.

Address:
Ufficio dello Stato Civile
Comune di Casalnuovo di Napoli
80013 CASALNUOVO DI NAPOLI NA
ITALY

Interactive Form Letter (translates request to Italian):
http://www.circolocalabrese.org/resourc ... civile.asp

---
Also some terrific books on Italian Records:

Italian Genealogical Records
How to Use Italian Civil, Ecclesiastical, &
Other Records in Family History Research

By Tafford R Cole
google book link

A Genealogist’s Guide to
Discovering Your Italian Ancestors
How to find and record your unique heritage
By Lynn Nelson
google book link

Finding Italian Roots
By John Philip Colletta, PhD
google book link
---

If you already have these records, we'll have to thik of something else.
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

We would also like to confirm dates of death for Michael Aldi and Martella Aldi if possible, and records of when they were married
The State of NY makes it very difficult to order vital records.
Perhaps writing to the town clerk or contacting the town historian may help:
http://www.schenectadyhistory.org/contacts.html#rot

Town Clerk
Eunice O. Esposito
John F. Kirvin Government Center
1100 Sunrise Boulevard
Rotterdam, NY 12306
(518) 355-7575 x320
Fax: (518) 355-7976
http://www.rotterdamny.org/main/clerk.htm

Town Historian
Richard Whalen
(518) 887-2451
---

Since Michele & Martella’s son Joseph belonged to Our Lady of Assumption Roman Catholic Church, Princetown Road, Rotterdam,
they may be able to help with the family’s records.

http://www.olarotterdam.org/