Valenti / Valente Prisoner of War

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
henniep

Valenti / Valente Prisoner of War

Post by henniep »

I am looking for any clues of what happened to Trento Valenti /e who came to South Africa as a prisoner of war during WWII.

He worked on our grandfather's farm.
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Valenti / Valente Prisoner of War

Post by ricbru »

Hello, I suggest you to write, only in italian, to

MINISTERO DELLA DIFESA
DIREZIONE GENERALE DELLE PENSIONI MILITARI,
DEL COLLOCAMENTEO AL LAVORO DEI VOLONTARI CONGEDATI E DELLA LEVA
7^ Divisione - Stato Civile e Albo d'Oro
Via Sforza, 4/b
00184, ROMA

I hope it helps,
bye Riccardo
uantiti
Elite
Elite

Post by uantiti »

Hi,
just to see it the correct way, Valente is the first name and Trento the family name. You may try and contact Mr E. Coccia who is the President of the Zonderwater Block Association. He has a record of nearly all the POWs who were kept in Zonderwater Camp (Premier Mine), South Africa. He lives in IRENE, South Africa.

Regards Ada
henniep

Post by henniep »

Hello Ada

I have enquired a while ago, and spoke to him earlier today: he has around 100 people with the surname Valente, but none with that first name. But he is now looking at Valente who came from the town "Trento" in northern Italy. I have the name of the farm on which he worked, and Mr Coccia will try and use that as well.

Regards
Hennie
henniep

Post by henniep »

Riccardo,

I see you are from Trento (where we think he could be from - maybe they used the place he was from as called name). Is Valente traditionally a common surname in the area?

Regards
Hennie
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by ricbru »

Hi, there are 7 Valente in Trento town
http://www.paginebianche.it/execute.cgi ... rento&ind=

I hope it helps
bye Riccardo
juanminbar
Veteran
Veteran

Post by juanminbar »

the site listed below may be useful. check it out.

http://samilitaryhistory.org/vol011jb.html

ciao, j
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

The place to write for Italian POW records (write in Italian) :

Ten. Col. Fasullo, Ministero della Difesa,
Via Mattia Battistini 113- 7 piano
00167, Roma Italy

=Peter=
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by ricbru »

PeterTimber wrote:The place to write for Italian POW records (write in Italian) :

Ten. Col. Fasullo, Ministero della Difesa,
Via Mattia Battistini 113- 7 piano
00167, Roma Italy

=Peter=
Dear Peter,
where did u get this address from?
Did u ever personally recieive any direct reply from Ten. Col. Fasullo?
Is it worth writing to him?
Please I'm interested to know your reply
hugs
Riccardo
christo77

Post by christo77 »

Hi Hennie. Kan jy my asb kontak via email rakende die Italian POW, die website maak my deurmekaar. My direkte email is christo@lausannedairies.co.za. Dankie.

Christo
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Dear Hennie the address I have mentioned above addressed to

Ten. Col. Fasullo, Ministero della difesa, Via Mattia Battistini, 113, 7o piano,00167, Roma, Italy.

This is to obtain personnel files for former Italian POWs. =Peter=
~Peter~
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Dear Riccardo there is a large movement inthe USA that started with the imprisonment of Italian citizens who were not naturalized Americans and were put into camps in the US and Canada as well and from this started a campaign by both German and Italian sponsored group to index all POw's in the USA for both these groups.

After the war the personnel files of all POWS were returned to the country for which they fought. The only remaining information for Italian POW's is in our national Archives (NARA) and consists of one line entries in a list from March 31,1945 Some of the interview sheets remain in the NARA archives as well as some references in camp newsletters (state or college archives. For Germans the lists remain here and only show name and POW number/

My contact who is a woman from Utah and is genealogist specialized only in Sicily and southern Italy is very involved with the POW movement advised me about Ten. Col. Fasullo for former Italian POWs and gave me his address and suggested that when you write to the Archivio Di Stato Uffico Militare for the POW town of birth to acquire his complete military record (to show the gap from his capture to his repatriation back to Italy and that you will need to send a letter of authorization along with a copy of your ID to show relationship. (I will send you a copy of the letter if I can dig it up)

To obtain files for former German POWs, write to DEUTSCHE DIENSTELLE (WASt), Postfach 51 06 57,D-13400, Berlin, Germany'.
To obtain personnel files for former Japanese POWs write to Military History Department, National Institute for Defense Studies 2-2-1, Nakameguro, Meguro-Ku, Tokyo 153-8648, Japan

My friend has been collecting information onthe experiences of these prisoners and the towns who came into contact with these camps. An organization called "TRACES of 400,000: Museum, Archive, Culture, Conference and Activities Project" iis also concerned about WW11 prisoners of War in the US.

The national list for Italian Prisoners of War held in Continental US on March 31, 1945 are avilable on POWCD (if interested let me know but cost$$).

My friend who is involved in this organization inthe USA travels to Italy 4 times a year and goes from town to town to do research for requests from Utah and is a wonderful person. I am meeting her in NY in April when she is coming for the conference of Jewish Italians in Southern Italy sponsored by a female Jewish Rabbi.

She furnished me with the name and address of Ten. Col. fasullo in Rome and I have not written to him since I feel thatI can rely on my friends referral for Italian POWs. I

So Ricardo whwn and if you contact Ten Col. Fasullo please let me know what he says to you. I would appreciate that information which I can then convey to my friend. =Peter=
~Peter~