History of the Name Reginaldi

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
mikedangelo

History of the Name Reginaldi

Post by mikedangelo »

Hey Guys,

I recently Meet a Girl with the Last Name Reginaldi. She knows no history of the Name Can Anyone give me a History Lesson on where the Name Came From and what It means

Thanks

Your Fellow WOP

Mike D'Angelo
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: History of the Name Reginaldi

Post by PeterTimber »

Dear Mike D'Angelo (WOP is a derogatory term referencing Italians) Unfortunately it was given a new meaning at the turn of the century when italian immigrants first arrived and were erroneously labeled "without Papers". The term is actuall referencing a group of Italian noblemen who came to the USA during colonial times and because they were all dashing and of noble birth were given the title GUAPOAS (WAHPOSE phonetic) meaning GUAPPO = Handsome and haughty.)

There is no listing int he Italian surname dictionary for Reginaldi and it is either of local origin or imported from abroad and italianized. =Peter=
nazca
Elite
Elite

Post by nazca »

HI MIKE,

the origin of surname REGINALDO or REGINALDI is from germanic Surname REGINWALT. the first document with this surname in italy was dated 1100 b.c.
It means "powerful adviser" :wink:

Good luck
I'm searching lost relatives and descendant of my greatgrandfather Vincenzo Genualdi (or Gennaldi or Genuardi) and my greatgrandmother Concetta Davola (their sons: Angela, Carmela, Antonio, Bartolomeo, Ernesto, Simone, Riccardo, Maria) went in Chicago,Ill., and New Orleans, in 1880-1920 from Sicily. Other family related : Jacobucci or Jacopucci (from Central Italy).
mikedangelo

Post by mikedangelo »

Wow thanks for the Info. i wish i could find more out but the name seem to be a rare.

And yes i knew what WOP Ment

Mike D'Angelo
misbris
Master
Master

Post by misbris »

This site cane help you pinpoint where in Italy the name exists.

http://www.gens.labo.net/en/cognomi/genera.html
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

If you knew what WOP meant why would you use such a predjudicial expression about Italians and Italian Americans ?

Since you wish to know more about a surname whose origins are other than Italy you might wish to try to research German surname genealogy on www.google.com. =Peter=
mikedangelo

Post by mikedangelo »

PeterTimber wrote:If you knew what WOP meant why would you use such a predjudicial expression about Italians and Italian Americans ?

Since you wish to know more about a surname whose origins are other than Italy you might wish to try to research German surname genealogy on www.google.com. =Peter=

sorry if i offended you. i was really just being a wise Arse. it just a word.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

I am glad that you realize that some words are more lethal than others. Welcome to the forum. =Peter=
mikedangelo

Post by mikedangelo »

it a word dude. and i have been lurking here for awhile. and beside it shouldn't be offensive if another italian calls you that. isn't that how it works?
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Obviously it doesn't work that way and certainly not here in this forum. Lots of luck to you in your researches. =Peter=
jimre

Post by jimre »

I have heard that one of the meanings of this surname, is princely or soveriegn. Have you ever watched the Mel Gibson film, The Passion of the Christ? In this film as the soldiers are nailing Christ to the cross some of them call out, "reginaldi" in a mocking tone, to mock his claim of being the Son of God.
misbris
Master
Master

Post by misbris »

The Latin word rex/regis means king. Regina means queen.Obviously, the name in German or Italian refers to royalty. That does not mean that the family necessarily comes from royalty.
nazca
Elite
Elite

Post by nazca »

hi,
anothe source website explain the origin of name reginaldo :: http://www.avitree.com/onomastics/rnames.html

"Derived from the ancient High German "Reginwalt"; powerful counselor."

best regards
I'm searching lost relatives and descendant of my greatgrandfather Vincenzo Genualdi (or Gennaldi or Genuardi) and my greatgrandmother Concetta Davola (their sons: Angela, Carmela, Antonio, Bartolomeo, Ernesto, Simone, Riccardo, Maria) went in Chicago,Ill., and New Orleans, in 1880-1920 from Sicily. Other family related : Jacobucci or Jacopucci (from Central Italy).
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

This is an italian forum seeking origins of surnames which are either Italian and listed in the Italian Surname dictionary or are local in origin andwhose origins are lost in the mists of time or imported from abroad and/or italianized. To go beyond specifying the origin of the country of the surname exceeds the inquirers request. A referral to the German language forum would be the place of referral. =Peter=
misbris
Master
Master

Post by misbris »

The inquirer asked for a history lesson on where the name comes from and what it means. No one went beyond the original request. And even if we had, that's what sometimes makes a good discussion.