Image Shack

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
wisemonkey
Rookie
Rookie

Image Shack

Post by wisemonkey »

Does anyone know of another provider other than Imageshack that does not have ads associated with online storage?

Thanks in advance for your response.
Sal
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Image Shack

Post by Sal »

I use Picasa --- http://picasaweb.com and have had no problems. You can make the albums public or private. It has free storage for hundreds of photos -- you get 1 gig of space free, and can purchase more for $20 if needed. I currently have 476 photos stored and am using only 17% of the free space.

Sal
wisemonkey
Rookie
Rookie

Post by wisemonkey »

Thank you for your response. How about document storage?
tonyric
Veteran
Veteran

Post by tonyric »

You should be (but I have not tried it) to store documents in picassa. Do you need to grant public access to them? If not then the gmail account associated with the picassa account will provide document storage. Google is really fantastic in this way. They give you a truck load of space and you can use it in pretty much any way you want.
Sal
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Sal »

I do use it for document storage. I scan the documents (birth, death, marriage, etc) and put them in a separate album on Picasa. All my photos and documents are private (no public access), but I can share them with whoever I want. You can share one photo, one album, or your entire storage, depending on who you want to share it with. Another advantage of Picasa is that you can downloard the program itself to manage photos on your PC, touch them up, make slideshows, etc etc. I have nothing but good things to say about it.
Sal
tonyric
Veteran
Veteran

Post by tonyric »

Sal, thanks for clarifying this for me.

NOTE: In addition to all that has been said, Picassa is available on Windows, Linux and Google just released a beta of it for OSX. So, now it is available on all platforms. NOTE: A Google beta is as good as a release. Google typically keeps products in beta for years.

Tony
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

I JUST started using PICASA because I am sick of the changes they made to imageshack. I haven't had the chance to explore all the features yet but elba swears by it so I think I will spend some time becoming familiar with it.

Thanks for all the great info.
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database