Joseph Farina

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
smarvin

Joseph Farina

Post by smarvin »

Looking for any information regarding Joseph Farina (also Ferry) was my mothers father died in 1945 (Croydon) when she was only 3

He was born in 1889 but have no records to indicate where, I assuming somewhere in Italy

Any leads would be useful
Thanks
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: Joseph Farina

Post by PeterTimber »

There are 1820 cities,towns and villages thruout the entire length of Italy having inhabitants surnamed Farina..Perhaps if you go thru www.ellisisland.org and seek out all those surnamed Farina there may be some with a firstname that seems familiar to you.

You may find his social security death index if you go to www.ssa.gov/foia/html/foia_guide.htm and obtain a copy of his original SS-5 application of a deceased person online and use a credit card on line for any fees that may be involved. This information will reveal his date, place of birth and parents names. The place of birth may be either his town of origin in Italy or just simply Italy which is of little use as is his parents names since the town of origin in Italy is where all documents, records and fmailyhistory is located be it city, town or village. =Peter=
~Peter~
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Postscruipt: Youmay wish to search out for Giuseppe Farina in the Ellisisland.org website since there are 84 bearing that name who enterd the US as immigrants at NYC. By deducting his age at time of entry form the year of arrival this should give you his year of birth and you can certainly narrow down the number of persons meeting that criteria.

You can then reasonably examine the ships manifest for asdditonal information to further identify him and his town of origin. =Peter=
~Peter~
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

Croydon in the UK or Australia??
wldspirit

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."
smarvin

Post by smarvin »

Croydon, surrey, uk

Cheers
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

There are a number of Croydon named towns inthe USA so excuse the obvious error in assuming that you were referring to the USA rather than merry old =Peter=
~Peter~
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

smarvin wrote:Looking for any information regarding Joseph Farina (also Ferry) was my mothers father died in 1945 (Croydon) when she was only 3

He was born in 1889 but have no records to indicate where, I assuming somewhere in Italy

Any leads would be useful
Thanks
in 1911 UK census:
1. HOUSEHOLD
FARINA JOSEPH M 1892 ( birthyear) 19 (age) Croydon Surrey

2. HOUSEHOLD
FARINA DOMONIC M 1888 23 Croydon Surrey

3.HOUSEHOLD
FARINA MFREDERICK M 1890 21 Croydon Surrey
maybe the others was related to your ancestor... ?
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Post by Italysearcher »

Have you tried for his WW1 alien registration?
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
cassino

Post by cassino »

Joseph Farina (Ferry) is my grandfather.He married my grandmother Eva Horsley in the 1920s and my mother Gladys Ferry was born in 1926.Joseph came to england when he was about 11 years old.
smarvin

Post by smarvin »

Do have any further info on Joseph, I'm not sure they are the same people

Did you Grandfather die around 1945 ?
Did you Grandfather leave his wife to start a new family ?

Thanks
cassino

Post by cassino »

My grandfather came to England from Cassino in Italy when he was about 11 years old.He married Eva Rhoda Horsley in 1923 and they had two children ,Gladys born 1926 and Rowland born 1931.They seperated and he lived with Maria De Cicco in 19,Stapleton Gardens, Waddon. He died in Mayday Hospital on Aug 7th 1945.The inquest report states Maria De Cicco had lived with the deceased for 5 years and during that time had given birth to a daughter and that his wife had deserted him 6 years ago.So I think we are probably talking about the same family.
carinthiangirl
Veteran
Veteran

Post by carinthiangirl »

Farina = flour :wink:
a famous Farina, an italianborn living in Köln, Germany - founder of the "Original Eau de Cologne" - Original Kölnisch Wasser
Giovanni Maria Farina, 1685-1766 (Johann Maria Farina):
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johann_Maria_Farina
http://www.farina1709.com/
http://www.fragrantica.com/images/perfume/nd.3256.jpg
his birth-place: http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santa_Mari ... Piemont%29
places where are Farina living today in Italy:
http://gens.labo.net/it/cognomi/genera.html
write in the name left above at cognome.
oh, my god - too many of them allover Italy!!! a very usual name....
smarvin

Post by smarvin »

We are clearly talking about the same Joseph

Have you managed to trace Joseph's family back any further I hadn't manage to find any parents

Cheers
cassino

Post by cassino »

Yes it seems to be the same family, hi cousin !

I only know Joseph Ferry was living in 4 rooms with 15 people as shown in the 1911 census.His mother is shown as Carmella Farina 52 yrs old.I have one photo of him, as he attended my mothers wedding in 1945 and he is in the line.Unfortunately my mother died in 2007 as she would have been surprised to find you.She told me about Mary J, although she told me her name was Josephine.I have the newspaper reports from the Croydon Advertiser regarding his inquest.Sorry I have not been able to find out any more.
Cheers
cassino

Post by cassino »

cassino wrote:Yes it seems to be the same family, hi cousin !

I only know Joseph Ferry was living in 4 rooms with 15 people as shown in the 1911 census.His mother is shown as Carmella Farina 52 yrs old.I have one photo of him, as he attended my mothers wedding in 1945 and he is in the line.Unfortunately my mother died in 2007 as she would have been surprised to find you.She told me about Mary J, although she told me her name was Josephine.I have the newspaper reports from the Croydon Advertiser regarding his inquest.Sorry I have not been able to find out any more.
Cheers
Hello,

I have Joseph Ferry's death cetificate, if you want a copy I could e mail it to you.Do you have any family memories or photos of him passed down from your grandmother?
Cheers