travel to Panni

Do you need information about a certain town or village in Italy, or do you need help to find it on a map?
This forum will give you a helping hand.
becks

travel to Panni

Post by becks »

Hi
I am looking to travel to Panni, Italy to see where my great great grandparents are from. We plan to fly to Rome and maybe visit Naples too.

Can anyone share some great things to do and see in Panni or along the way?

Thanks
Rebecca
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: travel to Panni

Post by PeterTimber »

You do not say whether you are going from Rome to Naples to Panni or Roma to Panni to Naples and whether you plan on driving by automobile or by train. Rome to naples is a direct north to South and from Naples direct west to east for Panni (provincia Foggia ) in a triangle... Please advise how you are going to travel and in what directions do you wish to travel.

Personally I would travel by Intercity super express from Rome to Foggia and/or Bari and rent a car and drive to Panni so that you will be seeing the countryside that you grew up hearing about. Then return to Foggia or bari for either an intercity super express or other swift train to Naples.

Go to www.mappy.com and starting out from Roma (Ciampino) 00043 zip code destined to Panni (FOGGIA) 71020 for driving direction on a direct Rome Panni highway route. This is for automobile travel.

The website for Panni is in Italian but there is a page of fotos at www.comunedipanni.it/ImgPanni.php which is what I think you may want to view. =Peter=
~Peter~
becks

Post by becks »

HI thanks for response! we are not sure yet of our exact plans but since i am taking my 91 year old grandma we do plan to hire a private driver(auto) for the trip. should be 8 of us. so the more countryside the better!
one idea we had was to go from Roma then to L'Aquila (where my gradnfather's family is from) then down to Panni, then over to Naples and then back up to Roma. Would this be a nice ride? Should we go to the adriatic coast or stay inland?

I will check out your sites. thanks!

Rebecca
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

whatrever way suits you since the coast road along the adriatic is on your left and the countryside on your right and you can ask the driver to weave in and off the coast since he should know where he is going. =Peter=
~Peter~
becks

Post by becks »

Thank you! any towns you recommend we hit in that area?
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

When travelling I always followed my personal philosophy..never make reservations, TAC it (take a chance) when on the road and always take a side road going uphill. =Peter=
~Peter~
TABBAX3000

Post by TABBAX3000 »

Ciao Becks...
Non troverai mai nella Galassia un luogo più bello ed affascinante di Panni !!! Visit it !
http://www.info-lab.it/panni/index.htm
E se tiva e un giorno ci arrivi, sarai accolta sempre signorilmente e fraternamente !!!
Franco

To :
becks

NCOLANNINO

Post by NCOLANNINO »

Hi Rebecca,

My mom AND dad are both from Panni and we spend summers there. Send me an e-mail (glamourbeauty@optonline.net) and I can give you tons of information. My wife and kids usually spend August there with cousins and I can tell you - you will have such a nice experience. Please do contact me as I am always interested in establishing a Pannese network in teh States as there are many of us!

This is some great advice coming to you from Pete! We always "wing it" as well and never have reservations. You will always have a story to tell after your trip, if nothng else. I normally drive from Rome directly to Panni to visit my family. But, some years, we have driven from Rome to Peschici (stay at this unbelievable agro-turismo spot called Castellana!) and then onto Panni. While at Panni, you can take some great day trips to the surrounding area. You can go to small towns like Panni, or larger spots like Benevento, Avellino, even Pompei is doable.

Let me know if you need more info or even ino about Panni itself!

Nicola
Nicola Colannino
New Jersey