Help interpreting ellis island record

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
donnawright
Elite
Elite

Help interpreting ellis island record

Post by donnawright »

http://www.ellisisland.org/search/shipM ... 0207%2ETIF

I'm trying to see if there is some help in finding where they applied for naturalization or were naturalized.

I found this great site I had not seen before to help decipher symbols, etc on Ellis Island records. http://www.jewishgen.org/infofiles/manifests/

Line 1 Catarina Curcio - no questions there

Line 2 - Son Salvatore Tomaino -- 6-69649 10/7/38 -505 where
6 is the district, 69649 is the application for naturalization number, 10-7-38 is the date of verification of immigration, and 505 is the form

* In 1938 District 6 was Pittsburgh INS office, Western Ohio, Western PA jurisdiction. They actually lived in Eastern Ohio. Will I be looking in the current Pittsburgh office?
* What is form 505

Line 3 - Francesco Tomaino -- I can't find him anywhere else so far.
* first notations look like VL 341/569. According to the website named above, VL stands for Verification of Landing and used for easier re-entry. This person was just a a boy. Do you agree with the VL notation or do you see something else, and what are the 341/569 numbers

* Someone suggested Francesco is 11 months old, but it looks like his age is in the "years" column and not the "months" column, and it looks like 11 years to me. Opinions? I have nothing else with his age or date of birth. In fact, I don't have anything at all other than this ellis island data. I heard he served in WW 1 but have not verified since I have not been able to verify a DOB. (if someone wants to look, his father was Tomasso Tomaino and they lived in Wellsville OHIO)

* What is the A in the circle stand for?

* Right beside the A in the circle is a "D" and something after it. Followed by 55907/365. I thought perhaps this was his application number followed by whatever form was given to him and the date of verification missing. Opinions? District? If 365 is a Form, what form is it?

* Last, two dates -- 10-23-35 and 1-23-36. What do you think each of these dates represents?

There are records of other Frank Tomaines of Lackawanna PA in ancestry databases, and someone was kind enough on this forum to look them up, but they are not this guy.

I know this is a lot of info, but those of you more experienced in deciphering all of the annotations might know something that will help me find the missing Frank Tomaine (Francesco Tomaino)

This is a big wall so far for me. No one in my living family has a clue since he died before I was born (1949). He has a son and they have children, and I can't find them either. Older family say the son moved back to Italy and is young enough to still be living, but they don't know where. The father Frank Tomaine died in USA.

Thanks for any help provided.
Donna
misbris
Master
Master

Re: Help interpreting ellis island record

Post by misbris »

Here is the text version of the Ellis Island manifest. it will show you why you couldn't find Francesco. :? Also it lists his age as 13.

http://www.ellisisland.org/search/viewT ... 0935040031
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: Help interpreting ellis island record

Post by PeterTimber »

Dear Donna if you go to www.geocities.com/Alfano1/Alfano1b.htm you will scroll down to the citizenship annotations to the manifests are discussed.=Peter=
~Peter~