I wish to reclaim Italian citizenship

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
wendelbom

I wish to reclaim Italian citizenship

Post by wendelbom »

Hi All

I have read parts of the forum with great interest, but I didn't find an answer to my questions. I hope you can help me.

I am a Venezuelan living in the US at the moment (As a student). My grandfather was a soldier in the closest circle around Mussolini, but was imprisoned around when the war started. When the war ended he was released and went to Venezuela. There, after some years, he was forced to denounce his citizenship because it was the only way he could marry my grandmother. Dual Citizenship was not allowed then. My mother was born after he denounced it.

Most of my family still lives in Italy, and even my Venezuelan family is very Italian. I wish more than anything to reconnect with Italy. Is it possible for me? What do I do? I am aware that because my grandfather has to denounce his citizenship I am in a difficult situation - is there any way around it? (He is not alive and could not reclaim it).

This forum is great,

Thanks,

Maria
sigel7
Rookie
Rookie

Re: I wish to reclaim Italian citizenship

Post by sigel7 »

Maria,

I too wished with all of my heart that my father was born before my grandfather became naturalized. The only way to regain it is to move there and make your intentions known. Since your grandfather was Italian, they only require a stay of three years but you will have to renounce your current citizenship, I believe.

OR

if you marry an Italian it can be much quicker, though I never suggest to marry only for that reason. But if you fall in love.... who knows.

Catherine

ps if you find a loop hole, please share it
Looking for Calderoni
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

Catherine, you are correct in that it would required three years of residency to obtain Italian citizenship in both your case and Maria's.

However, naturalizing in Italy does not require renunciation of your present citizenship.
sigel7
Rookie
Rookie

Post by sigel7 »

Well that is fantastic news. Thank you

Catherine
Looking for Calderoni