Ellis Island ship manifest help

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
lynnef
Veteran
Veteran

Ellis Island ship manifest help

Post by lynnef »

I'm attaching a copy (hopefully it will work!) of my MGGF, Vincenzo Ali's, ship manifest. His name is on line 24. Under Column 18 ("Whether ever before in the US, and if so, when and where?), there's some very faint writing beginning above "USA 1894-98" and going across the rest of the page that I'm unable to read. Can anyone help me out? Thank you. :)

http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0024
pink67
Master
Master

Re: Ellis Island ship manifest help

Post by pink67 »

Hi Lynnef,

I'm posting here a better image of the arrival manifest (from Ancestry.com)....
I believe the written is the name of his God Father he was joining... it seems Modenese??? Vincenzo and his address.... perhaps Mott street???

[img=http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/5628/a ... nzo.th.jpg]

hope someone can see better....

Laura
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

Hello!

My best guess:

Syracuse NY god father Murdocco Vincenzo

What town is Vincenzo Ali from?

Valarie
lynnef
Veteran
Veteran

Post by lynnef »

Thank you both! My MGGF was born in southern Italy (possibly Reggio de Calabria), but that 's all I know right now. His last place of residence was Caulonia, but I'm not sure if he was born there. I'm still doing research on my MGGF and MGGM, now going on two years, as I've been taking breaks in between.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Dear Lynnef there are approximately 66 listings for Ali in reggio Calabria province BUT there is only one VINCENZO ALI and since first names run in families it might be worth while sending this person a potential relative letter. Go to www.paginebianche.it and put in Ali inthe first line and then Vincenzo (where it says nome) and beneath thaty put in Reggio Calabria. The listing for Vincenzo Ali will come up with a full address and telephone number. You can thensend a potential relative letter to him from the form letter found in www.initaly.com/gene/mem/letter1.htm

Further if there is a possibility he was born in Caulonia you can send another form letter requesting his birth certificate (estratto di nascita=long form) on the http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... tters.html and send it to Uffico di Stato Civile, Comune di Caulonia, (RC) Calabria. You can find the zip code at www.nonsolocap.iot and put in Caulonia and click CERCA for Caulonia zip code=CAP in Italy. =Peter=
~Peter~
lynnef
Veteran
Veteran

Post by lynnef »

Thanks so much for the information, Peter. Looks like a good first step, especially if this Vincenzo Ali is related to my MGGF.

I plan on contacting a church in Syracuse that I believe my MGGF and MGGM attended to obtain some church records. I believe they were married there, as well, and had all of their children (my great aunts and uncles, one of whom was by MGM) baptized there. I also have a second cousin (Gary Alia - the "a" was added after my MGGF came to the US) who lives in the Syracuse area whom I'm hoping will be helpful and may have some early pictures to share. :)

The one road block I've run into thus far is I'm unable to locate any information on my MGGM's maiden name. My mother tells me it was Virgola, but I can't find this name anyhwere on any ship manifest from Ellis Island.
lynnef
Veteran
Veteran

Post by lynnef »

Peter, what is an "international reply coupon?"
lynnef
Veteran
Veteran

Post by lynnef »

Sorry, Peter, but I looked up what an IRC is and where to obtain one. If only I had looked it up on the Internet first before asking! :lol:
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

lynnef wrote:I'm attaching a copy (hopefully it will work!) of my MGGF, Vincenzo Ali's, ship manifest. His name is on line 24. Under Column 18 ("Whether ever before in the US, and if so, when and where?), there's some very faint writing beginning above "USA 1894-98" and going across the rest of the page that I'm unable to read. Can anyone help me out? Thank you. :)

http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0024
a Vincenzo Ali from Caulonia made a trip in 1893:
New York Passenger Lists, 1820-1957
about Vincenza Ali
Name: Vincenza Ali
Arrival Date: 22 Mar 1893
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1866
Port of Departure: Naples, Italy
Place of Origin: Caulonia
Ship Name: Alesia
Search Ship Database: Search the Alesia in the 'Passenger Ships and Images' database
Port of Arrival: New York, New York
Line: 1
Microfilm Serial: M237
Microfilm Roll: M237_604

it could be your ancestor?
Regards,
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
lynnef
Veteran
Veteran

Post by lynnef »

Yes, suanj, that could be a possibility. My mother believes he was born in 1864, so that would be the discrepancy here, since this passenger was 27, and my MGGF would have been 29, but it's certainly close. And, on the ship manifest dated Feb. 23, 1899, it shows my MGGF as being in the US from 1894 to 1898, so again I'm not sure if the manifest you show is my MGGF as his arrival would have been off by a year. I'm not discounting anything yet, though. :wink:
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Lyneff its been my experience if there is no other record for a passenger with his name and the vitals are so close to yours which are based upon what I gather is family oral history, then I would write to Caulonia as I suggested and get the true fact of his birth date. There is no charge for requesting his birth record (estratto di nascita) so you have nothing to lose and everything to gain here...where in central NY are your from? =Peter=
~Peter~
lynnef
Veteran
Veteran

Post by lynnef »

Yes, I will plan on doing that, Peter.

I'm originally from Syracuse, but have lived in the Albany area since 1994.

As a side note, I found on another website (www.italiansrus.com) the name Ali whose family is from Gioiosa Ionica, Calabria and who is currently residing in the Albany area. I sent them an e-mail the other day and am hoping to hear something back. Is Gioiosa Ionica near Caulonia?
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Go to www.nonsolocap.it and put in the name of Gioiosa Ionico and click cerca for the zip code, province and region. You can also click on the town name itself for a website about the town and a www for the tourist portion. You can do this for Caulonia as well.

You might wish to go to www.mappy.com for maps of Italy encompassing both towns and directions to get from one town to the other. The distance between them is 26 Kilometers or 16 miles and they are both close to beaches!!

The Albany area is very pleasant. I have friends up there in nassau and know the area well. =Peter=
~Peter~