From N Africa to Sicily....

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Minx

From N Africa to Sicily....

Post by Minx »

Hi in another forum here I explained that my gg grandmother was taken from N. Africa to Sicily by her father before being taken to Boscotrecase in Naples, Comune di Torre del Greco.

What Im interested in finding out is why would they would be in Africa??? I believe Libya, Eritrea and Somaliland were once under Italian rule but the dates just dont seem right to me with regards to my relatives. I thinks she was born sometime in the 1830's in Africa to an African native but was taken to Italy in her fathers surname, Cannavacciuolo. can anyone shed any light on this?? Its purely for historical reference that I need to know. Tar, Mina in not so sunny Bury! 8)
Mina
Reazzurro90

Re: From N Africa to Sicily....

Post by Reazzurro90 »

Minx wrote:Hi in another forum here I explained that my gg grandmother was taken from N. Africa to Sicily by her father before being taken to Boscotrecase in Naples, Comune di Torre del Greco.

What Im interested in finding out is why would they would be in Africa??? I believe Libya, Eritrea and Somaliland were once under Italian rule but the dates just dont seem right to me with regards to my relatives. I thinks she was born sometime in the 1830's in Africa to an African native but was taken to Italy in her fathers surname, Cannavacciuolo. can anyone shed any light on this?? Its purely for historical reference that I need to know. Tar, Mina in not so sunny Bury! 8)
If I kew the year you were talking about, it'd help a lot more. But basically, this is the deal. The Italian Empire occupied all those lands. Italy was very crowded and poor then, and a lot of Italians emigrated from Italy to Libya, Eretria, and Somalia. When our empire was overthrown in 1947, Italians were still there. But later on, the Libyan government (after the military rebellion of Qaddaffi) expelled all of the 75,000 Italians from Libya. This could explain what your grandmother was talking about.
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

She is talking about the 1830's. Peter
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

do you know what country she was born in? There may be a record in the italian colonial office of her birth. Peter