Information on the Palmieri name, and

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
RodolfoP

Information on the Palmieri name, and

Post by RodolfoP »

the meaning of the suffix "ieri" that seems to be attached to Italian names of groups, such as carabinieri. I know that ieri means "yesterday", but the literal translation is hard to understand in reference to the above, at least in english.
tonij16102
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Information on the Palmieri name, and

Post by tonij16102 »

RodolfoP wrote:the meaning of the suffix "ieri" that seems to be attached to Italian names of groups, such as carabinieri. I know that ieri means "yesterday", but the literal translation is hard to understand in reference to the above, at least in english.
Thanks for the info on the name as I wondered about this too.

Thanks Toni
RodolfoP

Post by RodolfoP »

Oops. Actually, I was attempting to post a query concerning the above points, but I now see that it looks as if I were only making a statement. Nevertheless, I am glad if this information was useful. Maybe I should reword and repost...
tonij16102
Veteran
Veteran

Post by tonij16102 »

RodolfoP wrote:Oops. Actually, I was attempting to post a query concerning the above points, but I now see that it looks as if I were only making a statement. Nevertheless, I am glad if this information was useful. Maybe I should reword and repost...
Good Morning RodolfoP,

Thank-you for the post just the same as I did wonder about it too and yes for me anyways it was useful.

Toni
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

To my knowledge the suffix "-ieri" in Palmieri, carabinieri, mestieri, and other words has nothing to do with the word ieri=yesterday. In particular we have to consider that carabinieri, mestieri, etc is the plural for of carabiniere, mestiere, etc., and the actual suffix to be considered is "-iere"...
RodolfoP

Post by RodolfoP »

Good point. Then, I guess the question should be: What is the meaning of the "iere" suffix, in connection to all the groups it seems to be associated with (even though that is the singular of the plural "ieri"). "Established"(?), as in the past (roughly, yesterday)? Establishments, institutions, and so forth are grounded in the past and pride themselves in their respective histories and longevity. If "iere" is the singular, then it still implies membership, at least in this context. And, come to think of it, it sounds a bit French, doesn't it? As I understand it, the Palmieri name has a Norman origin, from the time they occupied Sicily. But I don't know that to be true.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Palmeri is the predominant in Sicily while Palmarin is Venetian. Palmieri has at its base Palmiere derived from Palma and rooted in ancient French PALMIER.

Palmieri is listed in the Italian surname dictionary. =Peter=
~Peter~