Family Stories and Other Fairy Tales

General Non-Genealogy Discussions.
Ask questions, chat and talk about anything.
vj
Master
Master

Family Stories and Other Fairy Tales

Post by vj »

Neat article on Dick Eastman’s Blog
“Family Stories and Other Fairy Talesâ€
JamesBianco
Staff
Staff

Re: Family Stories and Other Fairy Tales

Post by JamesBianco »

Thanks for that link Valarie, so so true.

Try and explain to your relatives that what they have been told their whole lives is (at least partially) false. They won't believe it.

Like my ex-mother in law, she insisted her great-grandmother was a "full blooded cherokee". With documentation it was determined the woman was full blooded French, via Quebec, as far back as the 1600s when her ancestors arrived from France.

She still doesn't believe me, because her mother told her so....

8O
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

What do you know James, we're probably related thru your ex mother-in-law!
My g-grandmother was descended from an indian princess and her family was from Clinton County NY by way of Quebec :wink: !
Valarie
adamf
Rookie
Rookie

Post by adamf »

Henry Louis Gates hosted a wonderful mini-series called African American Lives in which he and a group of other genealogists researched the lineage of prominent African Americans. A number of these folks insisted that they had some Cherokee. It was almost always a grandmother who told them that they were part Cherokee.

So funny that the same story is so prominent with so many people.

By the way, African American Lives is a great mini-series if you ever get a chance to see it. With his ample manpower and financial resources, Gates is able to do some impressive genealogy and reveal the results to some very stunned, very grateful people. Its pretty compelling to watch.
JamesBianco
Staff
Staff

Post by JamesBianco »

vj wrote:What do you know James, we're probably related thru your ex mother-in-law!
My g-grandmother was descended from an indian princess and her family was from Clinton County NY by way of Quebec :wink: !
Valarie
8O

That's the same story! And they were from Peru , Redford and Saranac (Clinton Co.) NY as well.... too funny