Question on family tree that was done

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Conti832
Veteran
Veteran

Question on family tree that was done

Post by Conti832 »

About a year ago I posted about my family tree that was done by a person in Pofi ,Italy.I said that a mistake was made.My Grandfather came to Sharpsville,Pa in May of 1913,yet the tree said emigrato 21-04-1931 in Chicago.
Could that be the date he became an American and not a mistake of when he arrived on the tree?If so, then he would have had to go to Chicago for this?
borderline
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Question on family tree that was done

Post by borderline »

Could be a simple typo by the creator of the tree. The key is to determine what was used to document this. You could confirm if you had a ship manifest listing.
Conti832
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Conti832 »

Yes, I know for a fact that he arrived in America in early May of 1913.
jsybalsky
Rookie
Rookie

Post by jsybalsky »

Could be another person/relative with the same name immigrating in 1931. I have found that a lot with members of my family. The other thing is some people made trips back and forth so maybe the person that created the tree only found documentation on the 1931 trip and not the 1913 trip. As long as you have documentation of 1913 for your relative then you can prove the earlier date. I would ask the person that did the tree to point you to the primary source for the 1931 date he has listed. That might shed light on if it is another trip he made or another relative witht he same name.
Conti832
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Conti832 »

I think it's a mistake because when I went to Pofi I went to the comune with a couple of others who live there and was told that besides my Grandfather the only member of his family who left Pofi was an Aunt who died in Rome.