Corletto

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Blanchee

Corletto

Post by Blanchee »

I am trying to find more information on my great grandfather Gerardo Corletto. I can trace him back to 1892 in Scotland when he married a Catherine Hogg who died in 1895. He then married my great grandmother Susannah Ponderelli (Ponderella) in 1896. I have traced them together with their first 5 children in the 1901 Census for Scotland.
I have traced my great grandmother on the 1891 Census for Scotland aged 17 and the 1881 Census for England when she was 6/7 years old.
I have tried to find my great grandfather from before his first marriage in 1892, but without luck.
Has anyone any tips or information?

We have been told that our family came from Naples. This is correct for my great grandmother as this is mentioned in the 1891 Census for Scotland as her place of birth. We can only assume it is the same for our great grandfather.
gerrycorletto

Re: Corletto

Post by gerrycorletto »

MY NAME IS GERRY CORLETTO AND WE SHARE THE SAME GREAT GRAND PARENTS. I HAVE DONE SOME INVESTIGATION INTO THE FAMILY AND WOULD LIKE TO SHARE IT WITH YOU. I HAVE SOME DETAILS ON OUR
GREAT GREAT GRANDPARENTS AND THE REST OF THE FAMILY.
YOUR GREAT GREAT GRANDPARENTS WERE:
LUIGI CORLETTO + ISABELLA TOMMASCO
CARMINE PONDERELLI + LEONIGIA SCARZELLI

WHAT WERE YOUR GRANDPARENTS NAMES?
Blanchee

Post by Blanchee »

Hi there, thanks for your info, which I already had. I found all this recently myself on the Scotlandspeople.gov.uk site. My grandparents were Louis Corletto (proper name Luigi) and Margaret Tennant. Louis was the first child of Gerardo Corletto and Susannah Ponderelli. So who were/are your grandparents?
gerrycorletto

Post by gerrycorletto »

MY GRANDPARENTS WERE CARMINE (CHARLIE) CORLETTO AND MARY MACINTYRE. YOUR GRANDFATHER WAS MY DADS UNCLE.
Blanchee

Post by Blanchee »

Do you happen to have any more info about our great grandfather? The furthest back I can trace him is to his first marriage in 1892. For our greatgrandmother I have traced her back to the 1891 census in Scotland and possibly the 1881 census in England.
Without any further info I don't know exactly when Gerardo arrived in Scotland.
Did you know that the family came from Naples?
I am also in touch with a cousin in Australia, Louise, daughter of Louis & Cathy Corletto (my Dad's brother). She posted some photos on her facebook and there's a family photo of your grandfather with his wife and 3 daughters?
Are you on Facebook?
gerrycorletto

Post by gerrycorletto »

OUR GREAT UNCLE ALBERT TOLD ME THAT GERARDO CAME TO SCOTLAND WITH HIS BROTHER TONY AND HE WORKED HIS PASSAGE BY PLAYING THE VIOLIN. THEY HAD BOTH PLANNED TO GO ON TO AMERICA BUT ONLY TONY MADE IT. GERARDO'S FIRST MARRIAGE CERT NOTES HIM AS A VIOLIN PLAYER. ALBERT ALSO TOLD ME THAT THE PONDERELLIS
HAD A FISH AND CHIP SHOP IN WHITEINCH. THEY MADE SOME MONEY, CHANGED THEIR NAME TO SMITH AND WENT TO AMERICA. THAT WOULD EXPLAIN THE LACK OF PONDERELLIS IN SCOTLAND. ALBERT HAD ALSO TOLD ME THE FAMILY HAD CAME FROM NAPLES.

I DONT KNOW WHEN GERARDO AND TONY CAME TO BRITAIN, BUT THEY MUST APPEAR ON A SHIP'S MANIFEST SOMEWHERE.
DO YOU KNOW IF GERARDO BECAME A BRITISH CITIZEN? I DONT KNOW IF YOU HAD TO BACK THEN.

SORRY I'M NOT ON FACEBOOK
Blanchee

Post by Blanchee »

Thanks so much for all your info. For years our family spoke about our great grandparents owning a fish and chip shop, but you mention that it was our great grandmother's father who had the fish and chip shop!!
I knew form the marriage register that Gerardo was a violin player, then when he married Susannah he was a icecream salesman and in the 1901 census he was mentioned as a icecream vendor. Later he was a Labourer and this is also mentioned on the register of deaths in 1931. We didn't know that his brother actually came to Scotland with him. My Auntie Nessie (my Dad's sister) told me that Gerardo had a brother back in Italy.
It's true what they say about passing on information to someone. By the 3rd or 4th person the story is totally different!! And naturally after so many years it's totally different!
Our cousin Louise in Australia (daughter of Louis, son of Louis) found Kyrsten Corletto on Facebook. I assume she is your niece?
Blanchee

Post by Blanchee »

Forgot to mention. I checked on the internet a couple of weeks ago about registering etc. for immigrants, but back in the 1800s anyone from central Europe did not even have to register in Britain. They could just move over here. As to whether he became a British citizen, I have no idea.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

There is a paying website but free for namechecks at www.findmypast.com and a free website at www.freeBMD.org.uk and research it. =Peter=
~Peter~
Blanchee

Post by Blanchee »

Thanks Peter, I will check these sites out.
Emmy
Master
Master

Post by Emmy »

Hi Just to let you know you wont find a ship's manifest for any Italian travelling to UK from Italy (mostly they went to France and crossed from There) in the 1800's. My grandparents came to London around 1885/1887 and I have searched EVERYWHERE trying to find the year, ship or port they arrived in UK.I even had a friend search at Kew and always got the same answer because they travelled in smaller vessels there was no need for the captain to list the passengers. Maybe if you knew the name of the boat or the port they arrived at but I've been told even then you wouldnt find dates. the only chance you have of finding information about when they arrived is if information had been passed down through the years - and that can grow whiskers! You would be able to get a rough idea of when they arrived in uK if you were able to find if any of their children had been born in Italy before they came and then if some were born here in UK that was the only way I was able to work out approx when they arrived in UK.
Now if they had gone to USA that would be a very different matter you would be almost 99 percent sure of fnding the information.
Good Luck with your search
Emmy
ps if you do happen to find out something I've missed PLEASE let me
know I've been searching for about 40 years now :roll:
but I must tell you with the help of many people on this forum I have been able to trace relatives in USA and research has gone well in Italy too :D so dont give up!!
Blanchee

Post by Blanchee »

Thanks Emmy for your info. Unfortunately we have no idea when our great grandfather arrived in Great Britain. He actually married in Scotland, so no children born in Italy. Because he married in Scotland we have the names of his parents on the marriage register and we know he came from Naples so I think that would probably the next place to go further with our search. I won't give up!!
Blanche
clsev

Post by clsev »

If it can help the family Corletto lived in Castelfranco Veneto also if some branches moved around.
My gandmother, Licinia Corletto, was born in Padova, but her ancestors came from Castelfranco.
Blanchee

Post by Blanchee »

Thanks for your info. Is Corletto an Italian name? Some of the family say that they heard that the name was originally Corlett (French) and that at some time ancestors moved to Italy and added the 'o'. Personally I don't think so, but maybe I'm wrong.
clsev

Post by clsev »

Blanchee wrote:Thanks for your info. Is Corletto an Italian name? Some of the family say that they heard that the name was originally Corlett (French) and that at some time ancestors moved to Italy and added the 'o'. Personally I don't think so, but maybe I'm wrong.
I have never heard from my relatives that the family Corletto was of french origin but one never knows...
I have posted all the informations I have on this subject in my genealogical tree: http://www.geocities.com/clsev/Marino-R ... .htm#sposa
You will have to browse a litte in this page... furthermore it's written in italian.
Il you think it could be interesting I can send you a translation.
Have you tried to look for both "Corletto" and "Corlett" with Google? You will find some places with that name in Italy.
Best regards