nauralization dilemma

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
dragoni
Veteran
Veteran

nauralization dilemma

Post by dragoni »

looking for opinions whether anyone has hit this dilemma before. my great grandfather came here the second time in 1900. the 1910 census identifies he claimed to have been naturalized in 1902. through the birth records for his children i have been able to trace his whereabaouts from 1900 through 1910. i have written to every local and the federal courts for that area and none have any records whatsoever of his naturalization. i am suspicious that he was not naturalized (he was also unable to read or write italian or english).

any suggestions how i might resolve this dilemma? thi is the last step i need to resolve to consider applying for dual citizenship. thanks.

tom
mler
Master
Master

Re: nauralization dilemma

Post by mler »

For dual citizenship, you need to prove that your Italian ancestor naturalized after the birth of his child OR that he never naturalized. If you have obtained letters from the local courts indicating that he did not naturalize, you must then get a "no record" letter from USCIS to confirm it. Unless you reside in the jurisdiction of a consulate that specifically demands a census confirmation--most don't--you should be ok.
dragoni
Veteran
Veteran

Post by dragoni »

thank you. is there a specific format to request a "no record" letter from uscis that you have used/seen which worked?

tom
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

dragoni wrote:looking for opinions whether anyone has hit this dilemma before. my great grandfather came here the second time in 1900. the 1910 census identifies he claimed to have been naturalized in 1902. through the birth records for his children i have been able to trace his whereabaouts from 1900 through 1910. i have written to every local and the federal courts for that area and none have any records whatsoever of his naturalization. i am suspicious that he was not naturalized (he was also unable to read or write italian or english).

any suggestions how i might resolve this dilemma? thi is the last step i need to resolve to consider applying for dual citizenship. thanks.

tom
you found the WWI draft registration card of your ancestor? normally... if he naturalized, it are on WWI draft registration card... also by ship's manifest of your ancestor you can find the marking note abt the naturalization, if naturalized...
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
dragoni
Veteran
Veteran

Post by dragoni »

raffaela;

my greatagrandfather would have been 51 in 1917 when the us entered the war. i had understood that was too old to have registered.

tom
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

oh ... 51 old!!!
ok!
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH