Murgia from Geraci Siculo

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
mmurgio

Murgia from Geraci Siculo

Post by mmurgio »

Hi,

I'm looking for a database on births and other statistics from Geraci Siculo regarding the Murgia family. I am a Murgio but I believe we are actually Murgia.

Thanks,

Mike Murgio
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: Murgia from Geraci Siculo

Post by PeterTimber »

Go to www.nonsolocap.it and put in Geraci Siculo, click CERCA and when zip code, Geraci Sicula, provincial intials and region come on screen click on the Geraci Sicula name for website. Scroll down to Municipio for address and write to Ufficio Di Stato Civile at that address.

Send form letter for whatever document and year (starting 1820) you wish. Go to http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... tters.html

The Mormon church family history library nearest your home has microfilm records for Geraci Sicula from 1820-1900 and also a microfilm of the "Riveli di Bene e Anime (census record) from 1681 to 1714". for Geraci Sicula as well. To locate the librarynearest your home go to www.familysearch.org. =Peter=
~Peter~
mmurgio

Post by mmurgio »

Thanks for the info...
Marcello_DAleo
Master
Master

Post by Marcello_DAleo »

Hi, Mike!

I send you a short list of genealogical sources for your research:

1) you can find birth, marriages and death of Geraci Siculo since 1820 to 1865 even in the State Archive of Palermo.

2) in the same Archive there are "Riveli di Beni ed Anime" (census) of Geraci for the following years: 1584, 1593, 1607, 1616, 1623, 1636, 1651, 1681, 1714, 1748, but the years 1584-1651 are not microfilmed, so you have to consult that there.

3) in the Church Archive of Santa Maria Maggiore in Geraci Siculo there are baptisms, marriages and deaths since XVI century.

Regards,
Visit my web site!
Southern Italy Genealogical Center
http://www.sicilygenealogy.com/
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Marcello does the church archive in Santa Maria Maggiore have this information in the Libri d'anime (book of Souls=church census) or is the information that you are providing similar to what every other church has in their church registers starting in 1563 and reinforced in 1595.

The church records of Palermo start about 1350. Have you ever availed yourself of these earlier records?? =Peter=
~Peter~
Marcello_DAleo
Master
Master

Post by Marcello_DAleo »

PeterTimber wrote:Marcello does the church archive in Santa Maria Maggiore have this information in the Libri d'anime (book of Souls=church census) or is the information that you are providing similar to what every other church has in their church registers starting in 1563 and reinforced in 1595.

The church records of Palermo start about 1350. Have you ever availed yourself of these earlier records?? =Peter=
I have seen the archive of Santa Maria Maggiore personally and I can sure you that births, marriages and deaths start since XVI century. I don't remember the exact year. I havent' seen book of souls in that archive.

The church records of Palermo start since the end of XV century. I haven't never seen records of about 1350 8O 8O 8O
Visit my web site!
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

The 1500's are the XVI (16th) Century like the 1600's are the XVII (17th) Century. I will try to find out where these 1350 records are archived in palermo and let everybody know. =Peter=
~Peter~
Marcello_DAleo
Master
Master

Post by Marcello_DAleo »

PeterTimber wrote:The 1500's are the XVI (16th) Century like the 1600's are the XVII (17th) Century. I will try to find out where these 1350 records are archived in palermo and let everybody know. =Peter=
In Palermo there are no church records (births, marriages and death) of about 1350. The most ancient are of the end of XV century (1400's). I know well the church archives of Palermo and there are no church records archived in other archives than ecclesiastic.
Visit my web site!
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Well Marcello you will have to explain this to the Mormon church Historians in Salt Lake City Utah who beg to differ with you......

"In general the church began keeping records in 1563 because of reforms proclaimed by the Council of Trent. Not all parishes conformed until much later. Most parishes, however kept registers from about 1595 to the present. A few parishes kept records as early as the 1300's . The church records of Palermo, for example,start about 1350 and the baptistry in Firenze from the early 1400's.........."

I will contact the Historians archives in Salt Lake City and try to find the names of the parishes in palermo whose records start about 1350.....I do hope they have the names of the churches involved. =Peter=
~Peter~
Marcello_DAleo
Master
Master

Post by Marcello_DAleo »

The Mormon church historians made a mistake. I can give you the list of ALL church archives of Palermo with the exact years of start. But now I think we are going off topic.
Visit my web site!
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Perhaps they may have more specific information. I will call them and see what they can tell me.

I too have a listing of the Palermo churches but I am not sure it is complete. There are churches dating back to the 11th, 12th,13th,14th,15th centuries in palermo which are on my list by years in each of the centuries and beyond, including Monreale. So why would it be inconceivable that records for 1350 would not be housed in anyone of these many churches during those early centuries?? =Peter=
~Peter~
Marcello_DAleo
Master
Master

Post by Marcello_DAleo »

PeterTimber wrote:Perhaps they may have more specific information. I will call them and see what they can tell me. =Peter=
I know the church archives of Palermo beacause I do researches in them since 1985. But if you want to call Mormons and trust them...
Visit my web site!
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Of course I trust an entire church devoted to genealogy rather than one man with a genealogy business in another far off town...wouldn't you? =Peter=
~Peter~
Marcello_DAleo
Master
Master

Post by Marcello_DAleo »

PeterTimber wrote:Of course I trust an entire church devoted to genealogy rather than one man with a genealogy business in another far off town...wouldn't you? =Peter=
Ok... Good night...
Visit my web site!
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Buona sera e sogni d'oro....=Peter=
~Peter~