Still Searching

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
kchio

Still Searching

Post by kchio »

Essgee,

I have spoken to you many months ago concerning my family. I have basically run into a dead end trying to track my origonal great grandmother Asnuta Rego.

If you recall I had mentioned my great grandfather Pasquele arrived in US in 1902, 1911, 1912.

In 1902 he was single arriving with cousin vincenzo.

in 19011 it showed him married on the manifest but he did not bring his wife Assunta with him. However he had his son Generoso "Joeseph Chiocchi with him.

in 1912 he came back from italy with a different wife named lucia macanico.

Lucia I know all about. Its Asunta I have no clue about. I have even hired a person in Italy to find out about her. No luck at all. Is there any information other than he left her behind you can find out? I would like to know if she died between the years of 1911 and 1912 or did he just up and leave her for another women. I read a while back there was some type of record that showed her father coming to the US heading to Paterson NY.

I find it kind of odd that my Ggrandfather would arrive to go to Paterson New Jersey and her father paterson NY....Maybe he was looking for him or rather after him for leaving her behind? Its all a mystery and I would be at ease if there was some resolution to this.

can you help out at all?

regards Kenny
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Still Searching

Post by suanj »

kchio wrote:Essgee,

I have spoken to you many months ago concerning my family. I have basically run into a dead end trying to track my origonal great grandmother Asnuta Rego.

If you recall I had mentioned my great grandfather Pasquele arrived in US in 1902, 1911, 1912.

In 1902 he was single arriving with cousin vincenzo.

in 19011 it showed him married on the manifest but he did not bring his wife Assunta with him. However he had his son Generoso "Joeseph Chiocchi with him.

in 1912 he came back from italy with a different wife named lucia macanico.

Lucia I know all about. Its Asunta I have no clue about. I have even hired a person in Italy to find out about her. No luck at all. Is there any information other than he left her behind you can find out? I would like to know if she died between the years of 1911 and 1912 or did he just up and leave her for another women. I read a while back there was some type of record that showed her father coming to the US heading to Paterson NY.

I find it kind of odd that my Ggrandfather would arrive to go to Paterson New Jersey and her father paterson NY....Maybe he was looking for him or rather after him for leaving her behind? Its all a mystery and I would be at ease if there was some resolution to this.

can you help out at all?

regards Kenny
Hi Kenny, are this record perhaps interesting:
http://www.ellisislandrecords.org/searc ... 2635130028
suggestions? suanj
kchio

Post by kchio »

Nah,

If anything she would have came to the US after the year 1910. Her name was Asunta Rego and I think her dad was Jimmy Rego...However there are records that show jimmy coming here. But because sometimes women used thier mothers maiden name it is hard to track her.

As mentioned before and I get conflicting reports from relatives saying she came here with Pasqule in 1911, and shortly went back becuase she was very sick. Supposedly she had died shortly after that and my Ggrandfather remarried Lucia Maccario and cam back to the US in 1912. I find it hard to believe he could go to Italy in 1911 and come in 1912 with a new wife.

However these reports of her death are not valid and there is a women with her name that came with her father to paterson ny....here is where is gets fishy....my ggrandfather came to the US to paterson nj. I am assuming they came back to the US looking for Pasquale and went to the wrong town and wrong state thinking he was in paterson NY..I have a feeling he ditched her for another women....I cant verify this. and would like to find out the following.

1) did she come on the boat with him in 1911?
2) did she go back to Italy to die?
3) If not did pasquale ditch her for another women?
4) did Asunta and her father come to the US after this split up.
5) what year did she die?

I cant find anything out about her...I am trying to find out what happened to her. we are all wondering...I need to find closure on this story line...I am building a family presentation in a few weeks that has been planned for a while now and I would hate to leave this part out not knowing what happened.

If anyone can find anything out about her please post here

thanks so much

kenny
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

kchio wrote:Nah,

If anything she would have came to the US after the year 1910. Her name was Asunta Rego and I think her dad was Jimmy Rego...However there are records that show jimmy coming here. But because sometimes women used thier mothers maiden name it is hard to track her.

As mentioned before and I get conflicting reports from relatives saying she came here with Pasqule in 1911, and shortly went back becuase she was very sick. Supposedly she had died shortly after that and my Ggrandfather remarried Lucia Maccario and cam back to the US in 1912. I find it hard to believe he could go to Italy in 1911 and come in 1912 with a new wife.

However these reports of her death are not valid and there is a women with her name that came with her father to paterson ny....here is where is gets fishy....my ggrandfather came to the US to paterson nj. I am assuming they came back to the US looking for Pasquale and went to the wrong town and wrong state thinking he was in paterson NY..I have a feeling he ditched her for another women....I cant verify this. and would like to find out the following.

1) did she come on the boat with him in 1911?
2) did she go back to Italy to die?
3) If not did pasquale ditch her for another women?
4) did Asunta and her father come to the US after this split up.
5) what year did she die?

I cant find anything out about her...I am trying to find out what happened to her. we are all wondering...I need to find closure on this story line...I am building a family presentation in a few weeks that has been planned for a while now and I would hate to leave this part out not knowing what happened.

If anyone can find anything out about her please post here

thanks so much

kenny
Hi Kenny, sorry, I mistaken..
In 1911 Pasquale Chiocchi married with Assunta REGO .. Assunta Rego (I think exact spelling surname: REGA and not Rego.. are someone Assunta Rega on ellis island; please read ship's manifest Rega surname, perhaps are interesting for you) more birth place of Pasquale:Valle di Avellino ???/alias Pago del Vallo di Lauro/Avellino..???-) ...

-In Italy the women not use mother's surname, always father's surname...
regards, suanj
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by VaDeb »

Keny,

According to Tafford Cole's book "Italian Genealogy Records" divorce did not exist in Italy until 1970. (Peter frequently recommends this and it is an excellent source). Marriage in Italy required alot of paperwork and publication of the marriage. If you haven't, read the section on the marriage process. You will then understand it is highly unlikely he married a second time (in Italy) when his first wife was still living.

Do you have a copy of the second marriage of your ancestor to Lucia Maccario? If so look and see if your ancestor is recorded as single, or a widower.

Debbie
kchio

Post by kchio »

I really cant read Italian, I do have his birth certificate and marriage certificate to his second wife. But I dont know if it says he is single or not.
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

It is not likely it says he is single if his first wife died unless he was a cad. Peter
Essgee
Master
Master

Post by Essgee »

Hi Ken..

I believe that Assunta died in Italy... I do not think she would have come to American without her child and certainly if she did come, not be on the way to meet her husband...so I don't believe she ever got to America. But that doesn't mean she did not only that I don't think so. I believe Pasquale returned to America in 1911 and then went back to Italy because of her death.. Then he returned with a new wife and his son in 1912.

It would not be odd for a man with a small child to marry shortly after the death of a wife. The marriage was so one could help with the children. It was a different time and love was a different thing back then. So yes, he could have married quickly...or he could have been back in Italy for months. Remember, a lot of marriages were "arranged" back then.

If you cannot find a death record for Assunta, get a copy of the Processi of the marriage of Pasquale to his second wife. This is the paperwork that was filled out prior to the actual marriage. It would include his birth records, her birth records, the parental permission, and a record of the death of a first wife...He had to prove she was dead to remarry. If you have a copy of a record of marriage to a second wife, Assunta had to be dead. He could not have just dumped her and left. His parents had to give their permission and they would not have if was cheating on another wife. Divorce did not exist and in a community everyone would know if he was cheating.......

Again, Assunta may have come to America...but if she did, her son would have been with her. I am willing to bet that the birth of that son was the cause of her illness and she slowly deteriorated over time...and she died before he could get her to America.

Try the Processi and keep us informed...

Have a good evening........
kchio

Post by kchio »

Thank your for replying. This does make a little more sense. People said he brought her back to italy to die. There is a record of her coming to america with him. The census showed her with him. However Ellis Island has no record of her. Ellis Island only shows her father Jimmy and supposedly she was with him under her mothers maiden name I think.

Either way were would I find the Processi? I am here in america and to find all the other information of birth and wedding certificates I had to pay a man to find them. However, due to being out of work now this is something I could not afford to pay. Would you have any suggestions on how I might find this document and get a copy of it? This would really button everything up if her death matches the year he went back to Italy.

thanks for all your time. you have always been a terrific help to me.

regards.

kenny
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by VaDeb »

kchio,

I don't think you said what town in Italy your family was from. (Sorry if I missed it.) Did you check the Mormon Site to see if the records you are looking for are available on microfilm? If they are you can order them from your local family history center for about $4.00 each. Also some library's can also order the films.

Debbie
kchio

Post by kchio »

They would be from Avellino roughly 80 miles up the mountains from Naples.
kchio

Post by kchio »

Thanks for the info, went to the morman site could not find a thing there. Guess this puzzle with never be solved...Its still a mystery..

thanks all for the help

regards
kenny
kchio

Post by kchio »

Thank your for replying. This does make a little more sense. People said he brought her back to italy to die. There is a record of her coming to america with him. The census showed her with him. However Ellis Island has no record of her. Ellis Island only shows her father Jimmy and supposedly she was with him under her mothers maiden name I think.

Either way were would I find the Processi? I am here in america and to find all the other information of birth and wedding certificates I had to pay a man to find them. However, due to being out of work now this is something I could not afford to pay. Would you have any suggestions on how I might find this document and get a copy of it? This would really button everything up if her death matches the year he went back to Italy.

thanks for all your time. you have always been a terrific help to me.

regards.

kenny
Essgee
Master
Master

Post by Essgee »

Hi Kenny........

You might be able to get the copies of the Processi from the Family History Library (the Church of the Latter Day Saints--the Mormons). Sometimes they are listed as Allagetti as well. But they may not have filmed after 1910...so we have to do it differently.

Now, help me out here and maybe I can help you find out the correct document and where to get it.

You said Assunta was listed in the census....which one? What was the state, county, city, and the Enumeration District and page number. If I can see the census, it will help find out other information. Any of her relatives...do you have the names and when they came to America....this would help as well....particularly a brother or father or mother....again we can try to find them in the census and see what that reveals.

Just list names, dates of arrival if known, place they settled in America...

I will try and take it from there.

Once again, the Processi may not be on film....most of the films stop at 1910. However, it is something you can request directly from Avellino...once we get the exact locaton...and they will send the information....and it will cost very little....less then $20 probably.

Hope to hear from you soon.........
kchio

Re: Still Searching Essgee

Post by kchio »

Essgee,

You and I have spoken about 6 months ago. I will cut and paste what you told me the last time.

Hi Kenneth......

Paquale arrived first on Aug. 7, 1902, going to Paterson to meet his uncle, Carmine Chiocchi. He was single and listed at age 20. He was traveling with a brother or cousin, Vincenzo Chiocchi, age 19

There is another record for him for June 28, 1911. Listed as married at 29 years, traveled on the ship Princess Irene, out of Naples, living in Valle di Avellino. Best part is that it stated he left his wife, Assunta Rego, back in Avellino on his return.

The last record if his arrival on May 15, 1912 on the ship Berlin. He has his wife, Lucia Maccaciano age 24, and son Generoso, age 2 with him. He left his mother, Maddelena Marotta back in Avellino.

In the 1910 census of Passaic, Paterson, New Jersey, ED 138, page 4A

Chiocchi, Pasquale, age 27, married 2 years, born Italy, arrived 1901,
----------, Susan, age 18, married 2 years, had one child, one child
living, born Italy, arrived in 1906
----------, Joseph, age 2 months, born New Jersey
----------, Syvestano, brother, age 17, arrived in 1910, born Italy
----------, Angelina, sister, age 22, arrived in 1901, born Italy

I dont really know much about assunta. I only new at one point my ggrandfather had previously married before. I am a direct descendant of this women who we believe is Assunta. Now somewhere I can recall seeing her name on some document. She was listed as Suesan, I am trying to find the document as I type this. I can remember seeing Pasquales Chiocchi name, Assunta as "Suesan" and my grandfather as Joeseph real name Generoso chiocchi. This was supposedly on the 1910 consensus if I rember.

I found it it is census of 1910 sheet 4 enumerator 5852 at the very bottom you will see pasquale suesan joeseph and sylvastano's names there. I find this very wierd that she is not listed at ellis island. This was the passaic county of new jersey census. They lived in Paterson New Jersey. I am basically at a dead end here. I would really like to find out where else my family is and who they are. I would really like to find out what in the world happened to this women as supposedly she passed away very soon after having joeseph.

Please let me know what you can find. I dont know what to do anymore. Its been 6 months now of running into walls.

thanks for all your time my friend......

regards,
Kenny
Life is so very short. As we grow older we realize we have additional family in this beautiful world. Stand up and be counted and find your roots. You might be suprised you still have living relatives in the homeland.