Deolindo and Olindo surnames

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Thiagobestgtr

Deolindo and Olindo surnames

Post by Thiagobestgtr »

It is Deolindo (or De Olindo, I don't know) an italian surname? Some days ago I did an research about that, and discovered that this surname could be from: Sicily, Piemont, Liguria and Lombardy; Also, I know that the "Olindo" surname is from Jerusalem Liberatta, the famous history written by Torquato Tasso. I'm lost (hehehehe :lol: ), could someone can bring light to this mystery?

P.S. I heard that only 99 people have the "Olindo", surname in Italy... and "Deolindo" I could not find any records...

Sorry about the lame English :wink:

Greetings from Brazil
misbris
Master
Master

Re: Deolindo and Olindo surnames

Post by misbris »

Hi and welcome to the forum,

Here is a site that may help you.

http://www.gens.labo.net/en/cognomi/
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Deolindo is a surname found in Brazil while Olindo is also another variation also found in Brazile making both surnames apparently coming from a Portuguese surname in Portugal. Go to www.familysearch.org under ancestor search for this distribution of the surname.

The closest Italian surname as listed in the Italian surname dictionary is Diolaiuti which is a variation of the base surname Diotaiuti which has no apparent connection to your above portuguese surnames.

There are only Olindo surnames in Italy (www.gens.labo.net/en/cognomi) stretching from Sicily to Lombardia and Piemonte region in 32 citiers, towns and villages. Obviously the surname Deolindo, De Olindo if found or Olindo are of Portuguese roots if found in Italy. They were imported into Italy. =Peter=
~Peter~
Thiagobestgtr

Post by Thiagobestgtr »

Thank you, misbris, but i've already tried this search engine and the World Names Profile... It works very well, indeed, but results only sign to an "Olindo" surname; If I try "Deolindo" or "De Olindo", it only shows "Cognome non trovato - Surname not found" :(

Well, thank you.

and I'll continue my research :lol:
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Your question is if the Deolindo, De Olindo or Olindo surnames are Italian.The answer is no they are not italian surnames and the only surname that appears to have been imported into Italy from another country is Olindo..... =Peter=
~Peter~
Thiagobestgtr

Post by Thiagobestgtr »

It makes much sense, thank you, Peter :o . There's only one thing that I want to ask: Is there any "Nasimbeu" surname in Italy?? I'm asking this because my grand grandfather come to Brazil with this family from Italy, with some guy called "Luigi Nasimbeu" the family chief, but don't shows from where they came, only where they gone to live: São João Nepomuceno, Minas Gerais (MG).
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

They are listed as Luigi, Luigia and Pietro arriving at Rio De Janeiro in July 22,1911. Italy is the only place of origin listed BUT if you go to www.memorialdoimigrante.org.br and put in NASIMBEU and then click Buscar and go down to where it says LUIGI (in red) Nasimbeu, click on Luigi and the entire family shows up and thenbelow that is the portuguese request for ships manifest where the town of originin Italy should be listed for them. I do not speak Portuguese and since you do it will be easy for you to bring up the ships manifest. There seems to be a 60 reale fee but I am not sure. =Peter=
~Peter~