Translation mistakes?

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
CowryShells
Veteran
Veteran

Translation mistakes?

Post by CowryShells »

This is a translation I received and I'm wondering how to correct the mistakes:
Si certifica che questa copia scritta e' stata paragonata da me con l’originale, quindi il fascicolo della sezione del registro d’anagrafo del Dipartimento di Sanita Regionale di Nuova York, Albany, Nuova York e' una fotocopia corretta del anagrafo intero originale di tutta la stessa.

Here is the original:
This is to certify that the within copy has been compared by me with the original thereof on file in the Vital Records Section, New York Department of Health, Albany, NY and that it is a correct photocopy of the original record of the whole thereof.

I'm thinking there is an extra "Nuova York" in the translation. Should it instead be written "Dipartimento di Sanita Regionale di Albany, Nuova York" ?
I'm thinking the e' should be è each time.
Also, I can't find "anagrafo" in the dictionary. Is it a word?

I'd really appreciate some help, because I'm not qualified to do translation repair. Thank you very much!
elba
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Translation mistakes?

Post by elba »

This is to certify that the within copy has been compared by me with the original thereof on file in the Vital Records Section, New York Department of Health, Albany, NY and that it is a correct photocopy of the original record of the whole thereof.
Personally I would have translated it thus:

Io dichiaro che la copia qui allegato e stata paragonata da me con l’originale di ciò archiviato nella Sezione Statistiche Vitali dell’ Dipartimento della Salute di Nuova York, Albany, N.Y. ed e una copia conforme con il Registro Anagrafe originale

N.B. The Vital Statistics office is referring to the New York City section of the Department Of Health in Albany, which is the capital of New York State (N.Y.)!

An Ufficio Anagrafe = Registry Office

Hope this might help...
If you think education is expensive - try ignorance!
"Gente di Mare Genealogy"
CowryShells
Veteran
Veteran

Post by CowryShells »

Yes, indeed, it is a great help! Thank you so much, Elba!
Lucap
Master
Master

Post by Lucap »

Che ne pensi, Elba, di una traduzione fatta così:

Certifico che la copia allegata è stata da me confrontata con l’originale conservato nella sezione statistiche vitali (demografiche?) del dipartimento della Salute di Nuova York, Albany, N.Y. ed è copia perfettamente conforme con il registro originale.

L.
elba
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by elba »

Lucap wrote:Che ne pensi, Elba, di una traduzione fatta così:

Certifico che la copia allegata è stata da me confrontata con l’originale conservato nella sezione statistiche vitali (demografiche?) del dipartimento della Salute di Nuova York, Albany, N.Y. ed è copia perfettamente conforme con il registro originale.

L.
That's probably more accurate than mine Luca. These are statements made by a clerk who issues these copies from the Registrar's Offices in the USA. They nearly all follow the same format and are still written in flowery, antiquated English. If they now used 'common English' it would just say:

"Please find a copy of the document which I have compared with the original which is recorded in the Register held in the New York City Vital Statistics Section in Albany N.Y. I declare that this is a true copy of the original...."
If you think education is expensive - try ignorance!
"Gente di Mare Genealogy"
CowryShells
Veteran
Veteran

Post by CowryShells »

Thank you, Lucap, I really appreciate your help too!

I neglected to include in my initial post that this quote is from a birth certificate from upstate New York. Elba, you were correct about Vital Records being just a section of the Department of Health. This is from their web site:

The Vital Records Section of the New York State Department of Health files certificates for births and deaths that occur in New York State outside of New York City and for marriage licenses issued in New York State outside of New York City.
http://www.health.state.ny.us/vital_records/

I am so thankful to both of you for your feedback! It gives me a better understanding of how the translation should read.