d

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
JLSeate

d

Post by JLSeate »

d d d d
ptimber
Master
Master

Re: Surname...........Seate

Post by ptimber »

I suspect the correct spelling of the name is Seato and there is only one person coming into the uSA at ellisisland Salvatore Seato from Canicattini Bagni Postale 96010, Provincia Siracusa, Sicily. In Italy all records, history and documents are in the town of origin. If this Salvatore is your relative then that must be the place. The surname Seate is Spanish from Spain and there is no Seate in the italian indices. There is just one indication in ellis siland that the Seate surname is from Spain. The name Seato is not listed as an Italian surname and must be considered veryt local in origin or imported as it were from freigno places (god knows when) and underwent changeds over the years to Seato. Seato is not even an italian word!. Peter
JLSeate

Post by JLSeate »

\\
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

Yes since that is the only Seato surname tyo show up on www.ellisisland.org websitge for immigrant arrivals from italy and only one other from Hungary and that is it!!. Obviously your identityis Italian and Sicily is the placed that one person came from so that must be it. As I said it is a very local surname or imported. If you go to www.familysearch.org and just put in Seato you will come up with Seato in Germany Mexico and Maryland!! past surnames. Peter
JLSeate

Post by JLSeate »

//
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

JLSeate wrote:I'm trying to figure out what part of Italia my name is from......if any one could help me please email me..........MasterPoloGuy@aol.com.......grazie.

ciao,
Justin
Hi:
Seate/Seato/Seata/Siate in Italy not exist.. someone persons listed as Seato etc on ellis island, really are surname SEALICI(very rare) and coming from Sicily, Palermo area...

in Italy exist SIATI surname(sound in italian as SEATE in USA)currently only in Basilicata region, and someone persons was also emigrated in USA(coming from Salandra town)....but in the past Siati person also was present in Lazio region ... in fact are an Rocco Domenico Siati from Alvito town(Lazio region)..

for just search please let me know first name your ancestor..
regards, suanj
JLSeate

Post by JLSeate »

//
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

Judgiung from the surface facts it would appear that there was a spelling change, porbably resulting from job,school or social interaction after entryinto the USA. it was and frequently occursd to surnames. My personal surname changed 6 times over a 900 year period so it happens. However having said that I would not be so eager tochange my surname from Seate to Seato until I thoroughly researched surnames from the medieval period looking for connections to the surname and until I was satisfied by authorities or literature that Seato was indeed the oriignal surname. Surnames only came about around the 12th century for commoners so you are talking about 800 years for the surname give or take a century or two. Peter
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

You might want to go to www.family search.org and under Seato surname you will find the earliest reference as 1599 in Germany. Perhaps searching thru www.google.com for surname origins SEATO and then SEATE may also elicit data. Peter
JLSeate

Post by JLSeate »

//
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

First of all I am the other person if you look closely and secondly I gave you the starting websites. if you require further leads go to the internet and search for the history of surnames. Peter
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

The other person may be Suanj who is exfellent and disclosed no listing of the surname or its variations in Italy but you still have to deal with the local area that gave origin to the surname Seato in Italy. You may also wish to locate whether the town of Canicattini Bagni in Sicily has a town website by going thru www.comuni.it and putrtin that name in the lower right hand corner and then clicking the name when it apopears. Peter
JLSeate

Post by JLSeate »

//
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

There certainly is. Go to www.comuni.it and in the right hand side there is a space for you to type in Canicattini Bagni and then click and when the name of the town shows up click again and that shoulkd gvie you the municipal officers such as the mayor and perhaps a place to send him an e-mail and if the town has a website it will give you a WWW. Peter
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

There are 2,594 references to the word SEATE on the internet and 30 references to the word SEATO as well. Peter