Data Privacy Laws

Do you need information about a certain town or village in Italy, or do you need help to find it on a map?
This forum will give you a helping hand.
GeorgiaCaterina

Data Privacy Laws

Post by GeorgiaCaterina »

Are there now privacy laws in Italy that would prevent me from obtaining civil records more recent than the 1910 FHL films? If there are, does that just leave the church records that are still available?

Thank you.
JohnArmellino
Master
Master

Re: Data Privacy Laws

Post by JohnArmellino »

Italian Privacy Laws state that, for all civil acts occurring within the last 75 years, only the subject himself or herself or a family member may request an original certificate, and even then under certain restrictions. After the 75 year period has ended, requests for certificates or copies may be made to the comune's Ufficio di Stato Civile by anyone. In addition, copies of the records may be sent to the Archivio di Stato where, subject to resources, they will be available for consultation by the general public.
John Armellino
GeorgiaCaterina

Post by GeorgiaCaterina »

Thank you, John. So that means, records up to 1934 can be viewed at the Archivio di Stato.

For Petralia Sottana, is that archive located in Palermo, Sicily?

Are the records on microfilm for easy access viewing or would I have to go there and order a document one at a time and wait?

Thank you.
JohnArmellino
Master
Master

Post by JohnArmellino »

The original documents will be found at the comune of Petralia Sottana. Copies should be found at the provincial archives in Palermo. In my experience at the provincial archives in Campobasso, the records are in bound books, organized year by year. In the archivio of CB, you can take out 4 books at a time. Of course, each archivio may have its own rules and regs.
John Armellino
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Post by Italysearcher »

In my experience at the Provincial Archives in Frosinone they do not have copies of any records sent to them on a regular basis and I doubt that will happen. They have a few towns records up to 1899 but not all.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.