D'Amore / information

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
mfjp
Master
Master

Re: D'Amore / information

Post by mfjp »

mfjp wrote:Wait... !!! 8O
FDooks wrote:Good day,
His wife's name was Agnes Petrino who was also born in Palermo and came at a later time with their children in 1927 to Buffalo, NY. Their children were Frank A. D'Amore (my grandfather who lived from July 1916 - 1964), and Sylvia (only child alive), and another female which I cannot remember the name.
http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/2486 ... 9308ro.jpg

Can someone take a better look at this census record??....

Since her brother Daniel was born in New York.....

Maybe Agnese was also born in the USA and not Italy?? According to this 1930 census record... she was born in New York...

mfjp :?:
Assuming that the 1930 census record is correct...

Before sending requests to ITALY, please do your American family history first.

If Agnese b1893 in New York (or New Jersey), and Anthony b1888 possibly in Italy, then you need to find more info on their parents. Once you've confirmed who their parents were... then you could write to Italy...

If Anthony was born/died in the USA, you need to find further records on him... seek out his parents census records, boat records..., his death record...

Do you have any documents that say that Anthony and Agnese were born in Italy?

On the 1930 census record, it states that Sylvia was born in New York, about 1925 - the year her father Anthony died. So... Agnes immigrating in 1927 as you mentioned, with her children, 2 years after the death of her husband, ... doesn't match the census info...

Agnese's brother Daniel... according to the census info, was also born in the USA...

Look forward to your opinions on this...

mfjp
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Hi mfjp, sometimes the census about birthplace are incorrect ( so also for surname Galli topic, in fact Albert Galli declared born in California, but really born in Italy) and
"His wife's name was Agnes Petrino who was also born in Palermo..." so say FDooks... take care, suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

suanj wrote:Hi mfjp, sometimes the census about birthplace are incorrect ( so also for surname Galli topic, in fact Albert Galli declared born in California, but really born in Italy) and
"His wife's name was Agnes Petrino who was also born in Palermo..." so say FDooks... take care, suanj
Yes, I agree suanj, birthplace info can be incorrect on the census records.

And that is why it is good idea to post a visual census record so one can catch any discrepancies!

Another example is her immigration information on the census record... what does that say? So that might be incorrect also?

When you first looked at the census record, you never thought any of this was too odd to mention?

Do you agree that the info on the census record does not match with what FDooks is saying?

mfjp
FDooks
Rookie
Rookie

Post by FDooks »

Hi.

I seen the 1920 US Census when Anthony D'Amore was living in Niagara Falls, NY. On that record, it stated he was born in Italy.
The 1930 Census that I seen before about Agnes stated Italy as well.

My aunt (Sylvia) that is still alive said that both her grandparents were born in Palermo. Anthony happened to come over to the USA first, looking for work. I may have got the date wrong on the migration but I do have it at my home on PAF. Same with Agnes. (sorry for the confusion)

My aunt stated that she never knew my greatgrandfather Anthony D'Amore nor his parents. She did state she knew Frances DiGiacomo and Pascal Petrino who were the parents of Agnes and Daniel Petrino.

I am going to try and contact Erie county for death record of both Anthony and Agnes. Neither one is located on the SS death index on-line. Hopefully that will give me their parents names.

**If agnes was born in NY, would she appear on the 1920 US census since she was alive? I didnt see any record in their under petrino or d'amore**

Thanks again for all the help.
Looking for information on the names:
D'Amore, DeLuca, Cordova, Russo, Petrino, DiGiacomo

Any help is greatly appreciated.
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

FDooks wrote:Hi.

I seen the 1920 US Census when Anthony D'Amore was living in Niagara Falls, NY. On that record, it stated he was born in Italy.
The 1930 Census that I seen before about Agnes stated Italy as well.
The 1920 Census record... which name did Ancestry.com give him? I too would like a look... he should have been married then...

Which 1930 census record states that Agnes was born in Italy? Do you still have that record?
My aunt stated that she never knew my greatgrandfather Anthony D'Amore nor his parents. She did state she knew Frances DiGiacomo and Pascal Petrino who were the parents of Agnes and Daniel Petrino.
Pascal Petrino... do you mean "Pasquale"...?
I am going to try and contact Erie county for death record of both Anthony and Agnes. Neither one is located on the SS death index on-line. Hopefully that will give me their parents names.
A very wise choice!
**If agnes was born in NY, would she appear on the 1920 US census since she was alive? I didnt see any record in their under petrino or d'amore**
I hope a 1920 census record does exist... the first (?) daughter Marie born in 1913, the second child Francis born 1915, Frank born 1917.... should all be on that 1920 census record... if they were born in the USA...

Please note that there is an 8 year gap between Agnes' son Frank and Sylvia...

She could be listed as Agnes D'Amore or close? on the 1920 census record... age about 27 years old.

So many of these records have been poorly transcribed... one never knows what name they have been given...

Thank you for your reply. Hope this makes sense.
mfjp
brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by brujaojos »

Hi All,

I'm throwing in my two cents here.

First, since you have death dates of your ancestors, please write for the Death Certificates of your ancestors. If you have exact date, that would be better for you to obtain the correct document. If not, do you know the cemetery they are buried? The cemetery can try to give you the exact date or the date of burial which will help you better locate the death certificate.

The Death Certificate could list the parents names as well as the town of origin, but most times just states "Italy". However, you will get the parents' names especially that of Antonio D'Amore.

Also, do you have the Naturalization Papers of Antonio? That too will help you find out what town he is originally from as well when he arrived.

Now here is the link for Erie County, New York and it will tell you how to obtain both Death Records and Naturalization Records.

http://www.erie.gov/depts/government/cl ... eval.phtml

Now once you found the exact town of Origin, I would see if the Family History Center has microfilm. They have tons of records for Sicily on microfilm. So I would do that before I would write to the town itself.

Now I did find this Anthony (Antonio) in the 1920 census. The age is off a little but he is married and is a boarder in Erie County, NY.

Name: Anthony Damore
Estimated birth year: abt 1885
Birthplace: Italy
Race: White
Home in 1920: Niagara Falls Ward 3, Niagara, New York
Sex: Male
Marital status: Married
Relation to Head of House: Boarder
Year of immigration: 1911
Mother's Birth Place: Italy
Father's Birth Place: Italy
Image: 755
Image Source: Year: 1920; Census Place: Niagara Falls Ward 3, Niagara, New York; Roll: T625_1241; Page: 5B; Enumeration District: 105; Image: 755.

I hope some of this is a help to you.
Trish
Smile for me!:)
Trish
Professional & Certified Genealogist
Where the Acorn Fell Genealogy Services
Genealogy-Forum
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Hi, well I read all postings, and about this story, I can say that if:
-Agnes PETRINO was born in USA sure are the birthrecord.. but I cannot find it, until this moment...
-and if Agnes was born in USA, sure must are also Pascal record on some census, for exemple 1900 census... but I cannot find it, until this moment...
-more: if Agnes born in USA, Pascal/Pasquale must be emigrated from Italy... so also for Francesca Di Giacomo/Petrino..
-but all that I found is an Pasquale Petrino age 62 in 1906, in travel with Angela Di Giacomo daughter in law and children, joining in Trenton with parents... and coming from SAN FELE(Potenza province/basilicata region) and no Palermo.... now is very strange that this surname also related was from another italian town.... http://ellisisland.org/search/shipManif ... 2908040084
-as always the memories, the USA records, and italian records they are intersected............

-and this is the Anthony and Agnes son record:

Frank Damore
SSN: 290-26-3873
Last Residence: 14224 Buffalo, Erie, New York, United States of America
Born: 1 Jan 1925
Died: 23 Jul 1997
State (Year) SSN issued: Ohio (Before 1951 )

the search continue.... regards, suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
FDooks
Rookie
Rookie

Post by FDooks »

That’s true. Agnes should appear on the Census as well from 1920. I will speak with my Aunt Sylvia so make sure she was actually born here (NY, USA) as well as my grandfather and her sisters. (I recall my Aunt saying that right before she was born, her father died…he died in 1925). I am positive that date is correct because of the gravestone. The 1920 Census that I seen Anthony D’Amore on did state that he was married and from Italy.

I will try to locate on Ancestry.com if they were all infact born in the US (my grandfather Frank and siblings).

Those two above records I was able to view from Ancestry.com through my local church.

About Pascal Petrino (He went by Pascal but I believe his full name was Pasquale)

Thanks again for all the help. I never knew researching was so difficult.

FDooks
Rookie
Rookie

Post by FDooks »

Frank Damore
SSN: 290-26-3873
Last Residence: 14224 Buffalo, Erie, New York, United States of America
Born: 1 Jan 1925
Died: 23 Jul 1997
State (Year) SSN issued: Ohio (Before 1951 )

Suanj, ^^ That is incorrect.

My grandfather Frank D'Amore was born in July of 1916/17 and died in 1964 (same area).

That is interested information about Francesca and Pascal though. I'm a little confused of the birth area fro Agnes now. I need to follow-up with my Aunt. Thank you!

About Trish' post. That was the same Census record I viewed from Anthony. That one is believed to be correct.

suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Oh right! in fact are many frank, and is very starnge that also was in Buffalo... I think for better help that you see the Palermo microfilms on LDS, so you can descover the truth! Many regards, suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
FDooks
Rookie
Rookie

Post by FDooks »

Ok I was able to obatin for more!

Anthony D'Amore met Agnes in New York. They were married in St. Anthony's Church in Buffalo, NY around 1912. All 4 of their children were born in Buffalo, NY. Anthony was born in Italy. My Aunt said he was born in Brutsee?(sp). (1885ish). Anthony did not have any brothers or sisters. His parents were killed in an Earthquake around the Brutsee area.

Agnes was born in New York. That was clarified. Her sister Angela was born in Italy as well as her parents Pasquale Petrino and Francesca Di Giacomo. Pascal and Frances has numerous children I was told, many of which stated in Italty. I was told there are alot of Di Giacomo's.

Hopefully I can build off of this. Thanks again!

suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Hey, this are good infos, finally! suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Brutsee?-- as Bruzzi? ABRUZZI?

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
FDooks
Rookie
Rookie

Post by FDooks »

it must be bruzzi
that sounds exactly like what aunt sylvia said
my spelling was way off!

hopefully this will lead to further findings

Is there any specific method I can search for to find brothers/parents of DiGiacomo since there were many of them?

I feel better now that this information is correct!

brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by brujaojos »

FDooks wrote:Ok I was able to obatin for more!

Anthony D'Amore met Agnes in New York. They were married in St. Anthony's Church in Buffalo, NY around 1912. All 4 of their children were born in Buffalo, NY. Anthony was born in Italy. My Aunt said he was born in Brutsee?(sp). (1885ish). Anthony did not have any brothers or sisters. His parents were killed in an Earthquake around the Brutsee area.

Agnes was born in New York. That was clarified. Her sister Angela was born in Italy as well as her parents Pasquale Petrino and Francesca Di Giacomo. Pascal and Frances has numerous children I was told, many of which stated in Italty. I was told there are alot of Di Giacomo's.

Hopefully I can build off of this. Thanks again!
Hi Again,

Your best bet it to try for the death certificates and Naturalization records for you biggests clues.

Was there any documentation on the Baptismal certificates of the children or the marraige certificate?

Also, do you the Marriage application? The Marriage Application has more clues for you then just the marriage certificate.

I do have ask that both Angela, Agnese, and Daniel were all siblings?

There are other Petrino's in the Buffalo area that have children with the same names such as Giuseppe Petrino and Vincenza (wife) had Maria, Angela, Agnese, Maria, and Lucia. Then there was Joseph and Margaret who live in the Buffalo area. And in New Jersey, there are a few Petrino families that have children with the names Angela, Daniel, and Agnes.

Your best bet is like Maria (Mfjp), get as much documentation here in the USA first before you try to find the information over in Italy.

I hope this helps,
Trish
Smile for me!:)
Trish
Professional & Certified Genealogist
Where the Acorn Fell Genealogy Services
Genealogy-Forum