Appointment on Thursday! Naturalization question

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
cannoli
Rookie
Rookie

Appointment on Thursday! Naturalization question

Post by cannoli »

Is it possible that in 1916 my greatgrandmother automatically naturalized along with my greatgrandfather? (I am claiming via GGF, GF, M).

Let me explain:

For my GGF I have a Certificate of Naturalization for 1916. It lists his residence and names his wife and children.

For my GGM I have a Certificate of Citizenship from 1958. It states that she naturalized in 1916.

My relative who has all the family documents has not been able to locate a separate Certificate of Naturalization for my GGM. (I had assumed that the Certificate of Citizenship for my GGM was a Certificate of Naturalization until I looked at it closely yesterday as I was rewriting my application--San Francisco now has a new form).

So, I'm wondering if my GGM was naturalized with my GGF's document. Or should she have a separate naturalization document?

Perhaps it is not a big issue because I am claiming through my GGF, but I want to be as prepared for my Thursday appointment as possible.

Much appreciated!
mler
Master
Master

Re: Appointment on Thursday! Naturalization question

Post by mler »

Yes, your ggm naturalized with your ggf. Before the Cable Act of 1922, a woman assumed the citizenship of her husband, so when your ggf naturalized, she did as well. She would not, have received, however, her own naturalization papers. Likely, she asked for proof of her citizenship later in her life.

Good luck on Thursday.
cannoli
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Appointment on Thursday! Naturalization question

Post by cannoli »

Thank you so much for this clarification! I am so glad to know this going into my appointment. Thanks, too, for your kind wishes.