How to get a naturalization certificate?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
StarBlaziin

How to get a naturalization certificate?

Post by StarBlaziin »

How can I get a naturalization certificate for my great grandfather?
I would appreciate it if anyone could give me as much information as possible. I want to try to apply for dual citizenship and I just started my quest and I'm stuck already. Bummer...

Thank you!
JJ313
Veteran
Veteran

Re: How to get a naturalization certificate?

Post by JJ313 »

Without knowing more details about your GGF I can only give you general directions on where to search. Make an index search request at USCIS, NARA (national archives) and the local courts where your ancestor lived. Both USCIS (go to their geneology page) and NARA (locate the region that services the area where your ancestor lived) have websites where you can initiate the searches online. The local courts vary in their procedure.

Can you tell us why you are stuck and maybe we can help you?
StarBlaziin

Post by StarBlaziin »

My great grandfather was Salvatore Peperato. I know that he was born around December 24 1884(iffy on the year). He was married to my great grandmother Lucia(Lucy) Rubino. Then they both came to the US from Italy(around Abruzzo) in 1906. They had kids who were: Albert, Virginia, Guy, and Carl Peperato. I can't find anything on him being naturalized. I've looked in so many different places too. I don't even know if he was actually naturalized or not or around when.

Thank you for your help
JJ313
Veteran
Veteran

Post by JJ313 »

I did a quick search on ancestry.com for the census records and found a Salvator Peperato with spouse Lucy on the 1930 census living in Westmoreland, PA. There was also a 1920 record for the same location but the spouse is listed as Rosia. I no longer have an account at ancestry so I cannot view and post the images. The census records may indicate citizenship status (this is not definitive as census records can be inaccurate).

There are many different ways you can approach this search. I would try to establish the details like date and place of birth for your GGF before searching USCIS or NARA. Have you been able to find the ship manifest for your GGP? Do you know which port they came into? I looked at Ellis Island but did not find anything.

Have you searched ancestry or family search for naturalization records?
StarBlaziin

Post by StarBlaziin »

I did search ancestry but there really isn't much information. I've asked other people to help me find naturalization certificate for him, but no one can find one. If there's no record and I can get something official stating NO RECORD that would be great considering I just decided recently that I want to try for dual citizenship with Italy. This genealogy thing is hard but I love learning about my family. Thank you for your help. I appreciate it! :)
JJ313
Veteran
Veteran

Post by JJ313 »

In most cases it is easier to apply with a naturalization certificate. In some consulates, NY for example require that you also provide census records to support a no record of naturalization. Also if your search is based on incorrect information and no records are found the consulate may not accept it. Have you pulled those census records? They will help determine where your GGF lived (so you can search the right local court) and also give you some insight as to whether he may have naturalized.