Validation of documents

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
846newyorker
Rookie
Rookie

Validation of documents

Post by 846newyorker »

The NY consulate says that for documents issued in the USA:
"Documents which have not been issued within this consular jurisdiction must be validated by the Italian Consulate where the documents were issued."

Can someone please explain this to me? Most of my U.S. documents are from within the NY jurisdiction, where I am applying, but I do have a birth and death certificate from Pennsylvania too. However, those documents will clearly have the apostille. So is "validation" still needed by the Philadelphia consulate for these documents issued in PA and with the apostille?

If so, how do I go about doing it? Thanks for your help!
lisahickey
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Validation of documents

Post by lisahickey »

Yes, you need to send these documents, with translations and apostilles, to the consulate in Philly and they will authenticate them for you and send them back. I've found Philly to answer their phone and be helpful about telling you costs and what else you'll need (SASE). It's pretty easy and quick, but the translations need to be sent with the documents.
JJ313
Veteran
Veteran

Post by JJ313 »

Philly is also one of the consulates that will authenticate the documents while you wait if you bring them to the consulate.
846newyorker
Rookie
Rookie

Post by 846newyorker »

Thanks very much!