Dual citizenship

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
carolracana

Dual citizenship

Post by carolracana »

GF & family became Naturalized in 1921. At that time my father was 16ys old.
Would GF have had to give up Italian citizenship to become US citizen & would that include his wife & all of their children?
If so where would I find his renouncing his Italian citizenship? If so, then I am guessing I cannot apply?
Carol Racana
mler
Master
Master

Re: Dual citizenship

Post by mler »

Where was your father born? Your grandfather lost Italian citizenship when he naturalized, but your father would only lose citizenship if he, too, was born in Italy.

If your father was born in the US, go right ahead and apply.
carolracana

Post by carolracana »

No father was also born in Italy..........so now know that I cannot apply........wish I had know this before I spent so much time looking for the answers.
Thank you so much
Carol
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

Is there any possibility through your mother's line?
carolracana

Post by carolracana »

Doubt it........mother was born in US......her parents were both born in Italy. Believe they both became citizens in 1905-1907
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

You do know, of course, that you can obtain citizenship by residing in Italy for three years. If your goal in obtaining citizenship is to live there, this may be a way to go.

You may not work in Italy during that time, but given the year of your father's birth, you may be of retirement age and would not need to.
carolracana

Post by carolracana »

Thanks for information, but it would be my daughter & she would have to work. Too young to retire
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

I will PM you.