Jure sangunis for grandson?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
phil100a
Rookie
Rookie

Jure sangunis for grandson?

Post by phil100a »

I obtained jure sanguinis citizenship in 2010, from the San Francisco Consulate. My adult daughter also obtained her citizenship from SF Consulate (through me) at that time.

My daughter recently gave birth to a son. Is it possible for my grandson to achieve jure sangunis citizenship through me and/or his mother? (via his 1907 immigrant great-great-grandfather)?

If so, what procedure would I follow? The Consulate has all my (and my daughter's) papers. I'm assuming that my son-in-law would have to provide vital records for himself - if so, would he also have to include vital records for his parents?
mler
Master
Master

Re: Jure sangunis for grandson?

Post by mler »

If your daughter is an Italian citizen, her son is as well. She needs to update her AIRE file to include her marriage (if she has not done so already) and add the birth information for her son. No application is needed; your grandson is already an Italian citizen, but his information needs to be registered in AIRE. You will find the forms on the consulate website.

Just an FYI. Your grandson’s records will have to be in long form and apostilled. They will also need to be translated for registration in Italy. To register the marriage, the marriage certificate as well an your son-in-law’s birth certificate will have to be registered in the same manner.

The registration of marriages, divorces, children is actually required. Your daughter should also update any address changes.
phil100a
Rookie
Rookie

Post by phil100a »

Thanks for your reply.

Here is the instruction that recommends registering for the AIRE system
https://conssanfrancisco.esteri.it/cons ... /#REQ_DOCS

The instruction, above, suggested the the entire process can be performed online if one registers with the "Fast It" system
https://serviziconsolarionline.esteri.i ... /index.sco

I need to register myself anyway, so I thought I would try to familiarize myself with the process before notifying my daughter about putting her son in the system. However, after completion of the "Fast It" form online, was unable to get a confirmation code necessary to confirm my registration; I tried several times to no avail. (I'm assuming that these systems may be compromised by COVID-19 constraints)

Thus, I was able to download a form that my daughter could use to register the birth of her child. Here is the form:
https://conssanfrancisco.esteri.it/cons ... ascita.pdf

Two questions:
1) Can my daughter simply use the enclosed form - accompanied by required documents/translations - to register her child by snail mail (US Post Office). If so, would she have to provide multiple *copies* of the documents (including the original), and how many if the latter is the case? (including her baby's birth certificate; her marriage certificate and her husband's birth certificate - all in long form, with apostile, and translated (excepting the apostile)

2) Is there a simple form for announcing a change of address that can be sent by traditional post, or must change of address also be accomplished through the AIRE system? My concern is that my daughter recently moved, so I'm not sure of the Consulate would need notification of her move *first*, in order to accept the information of her new son? Or, would the new address on the birth certificate form (again, https://serviziconsolarionline.esteri.i ... /index.sco) be sufficient for letting the Consulate know about her recent move?
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

It is a bit of a hassle. I did this for my son, who is a physician and super busy. I opted for the snail mail approach because I felt more comfortable doing so.

Like your daughter, my son had moved from the address he initially used with the consulate. Unlike your daughter, he did not register his marriage of ten years and the births of his three children (the oldest was 9 at the time of registration) in a timely manner.

I registered the address change first (by snail mail). Be sure to include proof of address and identifying documents, preferably an Italian passport.

After several months, I began the registration process for the grandkids. There is a form to register a marriage, so if your daughter has not registered hers, she will need to do this too. The registration of the marriage will need your son-in-law’s birth documents. I submitted the marriage and birth registration forms all at the same time. For each registration, she will need:

- identifying documents (as needed for updating AIRE)
- long-form certificate (marriage and/or birth) WITH apostille
- document translation
- completed form downloaded from the consulate

I believe I submitted a copy of the documents as well, but I don’t actually recall. Check the instructions.

I organized and labeled all documents and sent them to the consulate by certified mail with receipt confirmation.

I did this in January 2019 at the NY consulate. After two months without a response, I emailed them requesting status. They responded that it takes three months to complete the paperwork. In June, I went to the consulate to renew my passport, and while I was there, I asked about the status of the registration. They told me they had the documents, but had not yet completed the registration. In August (8 months after submission) my son got an email stating that his marriage and children’s births were registered, and he could come in to obtain passports for them.

I tell you this because you should be prepared for a lengthy process. This was in 2019. With Covid, don’t expect a fast response.
-
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

I should add that the address change should go more quickly. They simply need to update the address. Not document checking.
phil100a
Rookie
Rookie

Post by phil100a »

Thanks. This is all very helpful. My daughter is very busy in a graduate medical program, so I'm hoping to make this move along because she may move to the Southeastern US in a year, where she would be subject to the Miami Consulate rules which appear far more restrictive and constrained than the San Francisco consulate. And you are correct: the COVID-19 pandemic is going to slow everything down to a crawl (as if it hadn't been slow, already? :) - to I'm wondering whether or not to start this up now, or hand her the ball if she moves away from the West Coast. It would be a real drag to get started out here, only to have to have her trip back to the West Coast to finish the application process (assuming she moves to the SE)
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

The consulate rules will not be a problem at all no matter where she resides. Your daughter will not be applying for citizenship for her children; they are already citizens. She is simply completing the requirement that all citizens to keep their AIRE files updated.

Given the Covid situation and the possibility she may relocate, it may be best to only update her address in AIRE at this point. That is a simple process. Then, if she moves to the Miami jurisdiction, she would register in AIRE there, and Miami will obtain her records from SF. Once she is registered in AIRE in Miami (or in SF if she stays on the west coast), she can register her marriage and her child’s birth. You can help by obtaining the necessary documents, apostilles and translations so they will be ready to mail out when her address is recorded. That is a time-consuming process in and of itself.