Process for multiple family members claiming citizenship

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
eatncake

Process for multiple family members claiming citizenship

Post by eatncake »

Hi!

I am new and just found out about claiming Italian citizenship.

I qualify from my mother-grandfather-great-grandfather, but my Mom, brother and sisters all live in different states under different consulates than me. Does anyone know if I apply what the process is for my siblings and mother to apply? Do we all have to make seperate applications or can they claim their citizenship from me once I obtain it. Or if my mother applies, does it make it easier for me and my siblings to claim citizenship. Thanks!
mler
Master
Master

Re: Process for multiple family members claiming citizenship

Post by mler »

It is my understanding that applicants must apply through the consulate in their own jurisdictions.

Your mother should apply first. Once her citizenship is established, your job is much easier. All you need is proof of her citizenship, her marriage licence, and your birth certificate. The second step should move quickly.

A bit of a pain, but there it is.
eatncake

Post by eatncake »

Thanks for the help! I was told by the San Francisco consulate that the soonest I could make an appointment to submit the documents was next July and that it would take 2.5 years after that to process it. If I wait for my mother (who is under the Chicago consulate), I am concerned that it will take 2.5 years for hers to process and then I would have to wait an additional 2.5 years for mine. Any thoughts on how much faster mine application would go if I wait for hers.
Thanks!
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

Is there any way you could claim an address in the Chicago jurisdiction?
eatncake

Post by eatncake »

I thought about that, but I am not sure what proof is needed of your address when you apply. My driver's license is from CA.
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

It depends on where you're applying. In NY, for example, an address is enough, and you can use your passport for your photo id. On another website, someone from Boston said that she applied with her sister and mother in NY, and had no problem, so it may be worth checking into.

You may want to go ahead and apply with your mom anyway using her address and presenting your passport as an id. If they questioned it, you can say that you maintain two homes. If they still question it, you then apply in San Francisco; nothing would be lost.