Problem

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
jjk_16_21
Rookie
Rookie

Problem

Post by jjk_16_21 »

Is there a way to get around my Great Grandparents marriage certificate if I can not find it? Can I just tell them they never officially got married? Would the Italian Consulate except that?
mler
Master
Master

Re: Problem

Post by mler »

The marriage certificate is generally required by the consulates, but citizenship is transferred whether or not the parents were married. In that case, of course, there would be no marriage certificate.

Your grandmother's (grandfather's) birth certificate would list the names of both parents, and I'm guessing that your grandparents (who probably were married) have the same surname on that certificate. Therefore, you may have some difficulty claiming that no marriage took place.

This does not necessarily mean, however, that your application will be denied. Try to obtain as much documentation as you can that shows a direct line of descent. (The death certificate would list one or the other as the surviving spouse.) Then speak to someone at the consulate and explain your problem. Fortunately, the birth and naturalization papers are considerably more important than the marriage certificate in proving citizenship, so my guess is that you will be ok.