12 months? is USCIS my ONLY option?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
ecoday

Re: 12 months? is USCIS my ONLY option?

Post by ecoday »

ohhh i JUST got this email, it may be helpful:

Thank you for your interest in the new USCIS Genealogy Program, a fee-for-service program designed to provide genealogists and other researchers with timely access to historical immigration and naturalization records. Below you will find more information about the services that the program will offer. The Genealogy Program cannot begin accepting requests for index searches or record copies until August 13th, 2008. We encourage you to resubmit your request then, when online request forms will become available.

If you have any other questions about the Genealogy Program, please send them to uscis.genealogy@dhs.gov and be sure check www.uscis.gov for updates.

The USCIS Genealogy Program will offer two services:

* Index Search: Using biographical information provided by the researcher, USCIS will search its historical immigration and naturalization record index for citations related to a specific immigrant. The search results (record citations) will be returned to the researcher, along with instructions on how to request the file(s) from USCIS or the National Archives.

* Record Copy Request: Researchers with valid record citations (USCIS file numbers), gained through a USCIS Genealogy Program index search or through independent research, may request copies of historical immigration and naturalization records. Records available through the USCIS Genealogy Program are:

· Naturalization Certificate Files (C-files) from September 27, 1906 to April 1, 1946

· Alien Registration Forms from August 1, 1940 to March 31, 1944

· Visa files from July 1, 1924 to March 31, 1944

· Registry Files from March 2, 1929 to March 31, 1944

· Alien Files (A-files) number below 8 million (A8000000) and documents therein dated prior to May 1, 1951

Detailed information about the USCIS Genealogy Program and associated fees is currently available in the published rule for the Establishment of a Genealogy Program (online at: http://edocket.access.gpo.gov/2008/E8-10651.htm).
"Whatever befalls the Earth, befalls the sons and daughters of the Earth. We
did not weave the web of life, we are merely a strand in it."

1792, Chief Seattle (Seatlh) Suquamish Chief
mmonico
Rookie
Rookie

Post by mmonico »

So does this mean to wait until Aug to submit a request for Nat papers and such, or is it ok to go ahead and send them in to the address in Lee's summit??
ecoday

Post by ecoday »

i emailed the person back and asked IF my grandfather's naturalization papers OR "no records" letter would be available online on that august date and he said :

"Day,

The Genealogy Program opening August will allow you to request an index search for records related to your grandfather. If the search returns a matching naturalization certificate file number you will be able to request copies of the file from the Genealogy Program. There will be a fee for both the index search and the copies ($20 for the index search and $20 or $35 for the copies, depending on the type of record). If the index search does not return a matching record, you may then request a certification of nonexistence from the USCIS Office of Records Services (see the information from uscis.gov pasted below).

At the present you may send a Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) request to the USCIS FOIA program, requesting that the agency search for records related to your grandfather. As you mentioned, there is a significant waiting period for FOIA requests. One of the goals of the Genealogy Program is to make historical records like those you are seeking available faster than through the FOIA program, so it may be advisable for you to file a request under the Genealogy Program when it opens in August.

Please send me a message if you have any questions.

Sincerely,
Z.W.

USCIS History Office"

tell me what you think....because maybe my hopeful brain is only absorbing what i want it to say and not what it's actually saying.
"Whatever befalls the Earth, befalls the sons and daughters of the Earth. We
did not weave the web of life, we are merely a strand in it."

1792, Chief Seattle (Seatlh) Suquamish Chief
nastygunz

Post by nastygunz »

The USCIS is a nightmare, not to mention rude and inefficient, steretypical bureaucracy at its worst!, I also received a form from NARA with gold emblem and red ribbon, MUCH better!
JamesBianco
Staff
Staff

Post by JamesBianco »

I went to the website and when I tried to search, the last year available for the court I needed (Springfield, MA) was 1906, the year my great-grandfather arrived from Italy. I phoned Waltham (where I have researched many times in the past) and was told they had no indexes for The Springfield Court past the year 1906 and that Springfield had sent all of it's records to the State Archive in Boston. I called and then wrote to Boston soon after.

Sadly, I know Boston is going to tell me they can't find his naturalization because he never naturalized (his widow became a citizen 5 years after his death (he was 36 and had been a Patient at the Northampton State Hospital for 9 years at the time of his death according to the death record)

SO unfortunately I am stuck waiting for the letter from USCIS.

:(
mmonico
Rookie
Rookie

Post by mmonico »

So I am sending paper to USCIS to get records, but I dont a death certifiate or any proof of my GGF death do I need that or can I send it in without it??? anyone know for sure?
JJOC1414
Rookie
Rookie

Post by JJOC1414 »

You do NOT need to provide a death certificate. I obtained mine for a grandfather without one, so I can't see why proof of deceased would be necessary for a great-grandfather.

You just need to provide sufficient factual information to enable the searchers to locate the record!
mmonico
Rookie
Rookie

Post by mmonico »

Thanks for your help.
JMFL
Rookie
Rookie

Post by JMFL »

I got all the papers from my grandfathers naturalization from the County court of Richmond, (NY), except the actual certificate. Fortunately, my cousin has the actual certificate and will let me borrow it provided I return it to her. I understand the consulates don't keep the nat. cert. I do want to obtain a cipy of the actual certificate for my own. Do I go thru NARA or USICS to get a copy. The court sent me a certified packet that included my grandfathers petition, oath of allegience, etc but not the actual certificate.

Thanks for your help,
JM in FL
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

Certificate is available only through USCIS. The certified documents from the court should be enough for a citizenship recognition application; but if you bring in the actual certificate and a copy of it, the certificate will be returned to you.