Dual Citizenship is confusing! HELP ME

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
leash
Rookie
Rookie

Dual Citizenship is confusing! HELP ME

Post by leash »

I dont get this dual citizenship thing for Italy.

My mother was born is AUstralia which mean she acquired citizenship at birth. But I dont thinks he ever renounced her right to citizenship. How do I find out if she did???

My mum was born in 1959 so is she eligible through her mum, which would then make me eligible?

My grandfather was also born in Australia.

This whole process confuses me!

I am looking at travelling in a year or 2 and would live to get started on my passport ASAP

THNX :-)
Known surnames- Mollica, Alba, Cannella, Secchitano
I would like to research my family history and find out as much as I can =)
Abruzzi17

Re: Dual Citizenship is confusing! HELP ME

Post by Abruzzi17 »

what does that have to do with anything? the only 2 countries which recognized dual citizenship are Italy and Ireland. Not Australia.
matta
Rookie
Rookie

Post by matta »

Abruzzi17 wrote:what does that have to do with anything? the only 2 countries which recognized dual citizenship are Italy and Ireland. Not Australia.
Not true. In fact, there are many countries that recognize dual citizenship, including the US since 1992 (which is how most of us have US/Italy dual citizenship) and Australia (leading to Australia/Italy dual citizenship).

In terms of obtaining citizenship jure sanguinis, there are again many countries that also have this policy, including Italy, Germany, and Ireland in the EU.

As for the OP - if you're just traveling, why do you need a second passport? An Australian passport will get you up to 90 days in Italy. I do not have direct knowledge of how the process works in Australia, but in the US, obtaining an Italian passport costs US$1000+ and usually takes several (2-4) years. If you are just planning to travel for a few weeks, it makes sense to just go on your Aussie Passport.

If you still want to proceed, what we need are dates of birth, marriage, immigration, and naturalization.

Who was born in Italy? Your maternal grandmother? When was she born, when did she immigrate, when did she get married, and when (if ever) did she naturalize? Where and when was your maternal grandfather born?

You're going to have to figure out some family history before anyone can tell you if you qualify.
teddi
Veteran
Veteran

Post by teddi »

The US has recognized dual citizenship since 1980 when the Supreme Court ruled on Vance v. Terrazas. 1992 was the year Italy began allowing dual citizenship.
domenic5

Post by domenic5 »

Look in some wbsites they have free info. Just google: Italian citizenship

good luck
mandarino
Rookie
Rookie

Post by mandarino »

You might want to check out the US Embassy in Australia for more information on this issue:

Here's the link on an article that might interest you:

http://usembassy-australia.state.gov/co ... alnat.html
Searching for Mandarino from the area of Basilicata, Italy. ♥