Orgins of Surnames?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Clicker
Rookie
Rookie

Orgins of Surnames?

Post by Clicker »

I have been curious as to the orgins or etymology of my family surname, where it comes from? is it an evolution of some other name? an example of a family name 'lifted' from the town they resided in.......The name I am looking up is Talamelli, is there anywhere that I can look up family names or a place that I can go to.....I am stumped as to how to tackle this.
Tamberino
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Orgins of Surnames?

Post by Tamberino »

Italy

See also: Category:Italian surnames
Main article: Italian name#Surnames

Italy has around 350,000 surnames. Most of them derive from the following sources: patronym or ilk (e.g. Francesco Di Marco, "Francis, son of Mark" or Eduardo De Filippo, "Edward belonging to the family of Philip"), occupation (e.g. Enzo Ferrari, "Enzo the Smith"), personal characteristic (e.g. nicknames or pet names like Dario Forte, "Darius the Strong"), geographic origin (e.g. Elisabetta Romano, "Elisabeth from Rome") and objects (e.g. Carlo Sacchi, "Charles Bags"). The two most common Italian family names, Russo and Rossi, mean the same thing, "Red", possibly referring to a hair color that would have been very distinctive in Italy.
That's from Wikipedia
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

Hi,

from this italian site:

http://www.cognomiitaliani.org/cognomi/cognomi0018.htm

here is:

TALAMELLI Talamelli è specifico di Fano e del pesarese, con un ceppo anche a Gualdo Tadino nel perugino, dovrebbe derivare dal toponimo Talamello (PU), probabile luogo d'origine del capostipite.

Here is the translation (forgive my english :oops: , I hope it's ok)

Talamelli last name is particularly form Fano and Pesaro area, with a branch also in Gualdo Tadino, Perugia area, possible it comes from the placename Talamello (Pesaro and Urbino Province - Marche region), very likely it was the place of origin of the progenitor

Laura
Clicker
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Clicker »

Tamberino, great starting point. Thanks very much

Pink 67
Thank you so much.....generally I had read all of the information about how surnames were developed and altered, but had never found any specific information about MY last name.....It is amazing becuase I had a theory that this was how the surname was developed, but I never had any back-up to that, it was just a guess on my part. Thank you so very much.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Talamelli is not listedin the Italian surname dictionary and consequently isa considered local in origin or impored from abroad and Italianized.

There is no connection listed for Tamberino but there is an alteration of the base name Tamburi which was altered over the years to include various spellings including TAMBORINO and associated with Tamburini in Emilia Romagna region. The name originally stems from a nickname possibly a tambourine. =Peter=
legnoduro
Veteran
Veteran

Post by legnoduro »

Ciao Peter,
I have just discovered the name Sirena in my ancestry. These relatives came from Cosenza. Would you mind checking to see if it is in the surname dictionary? I have been unable to find its origin.

Thank you,
Richard
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Dear Richard Oddly enopugh Sirena is not liksted as an Italian surname a nd is considered an imported name since the origin appearfs to be Spain and Portugal and oddly enough spread simulltaneously to Mexico and South America in the early 1700's and to Italy at about the same time which may indicate the name may have been Sephardic in origin. I will check it out and let you know. =Peter=
legnoduro
Veteran
Veteran

Post by legnoduro »

Ciao Peter,
Ti ringrazio, sei troppo gentile!

Richard
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Since Spain ruled most of Italy from 1550-1713 the surname Sirena also appears in Italy starting inthe 1600's in Benevento. It would appear that Sirena is not of Sephardic origin but of Spanish and Portuguese origin while Serena is of Sephardic origin but why the subtle distinction?? =Peter=
legnoduro
Veteran
Veteran

Post by legnoduro »

Wow, you as a source of information are invaluable! I understand your point about the subtle difference especially since in cursive writing an "i" is often confused with a closed "e". Although maybe in the 17th and 18th centuries there was more care taken with writing.

Richard