Milazzo family in Palermo

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
HughTornabene
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Milazzo family in Palermo

Post by HughTornabene »

OK Anthony,
But lets look at the reality.
I wanted a marriage transcription from about 1850, I was desperate.
So I copied a form letter (I don't speak Italian) and sent it with some money.
Don't ask me what money, I forget, probably about $20 worth of Euros.

They sent me the correct transcription and included some change, some useless wierd kind of postage scrip.
And that was Palermo about 4 or 5 years ago.
I was delighted
Hugh
milagiro

Post by milagiro »

After reading HughTornabene's post I am wondering if bmilazzo and I are related! I have done much research since my first postings here in 2008, and thanks to all the experts on this forum have found many cousins as well as a fascinating history of my family line!

I am the great-great-grandaughter of Bartolomeo Milazzo born 1845 and from Camporeale - his son was Paolo Milazzo - my great-grandfather. I have a photocopied page from: ITALIAN ACTIVITIES OF
THE INTER-MOUNTAIN REGION printed in 1930 by the International
Publishing Co., Salt Lake City, showing a photo of Paolo, his wife and children. I uploaded the image and article here: http://www.whirledvisions.com/Betz/MilazzoFamily.html - Can anyone interpret this for me? I would so appreciate it!

I was able to make out a Baroni Milazzo di S. Giorgio and something about a noble family. I know that my great-grandfather had siblings, but have not been able to trace any of them or even find out their names - could bmilazzo be a descendant of one of Paolo's siblings? I would love to know!

Betz
bmilazzo
Rookie
Rookie

Post by bmilazzo »

Perhaps somewhere back we are related but my great grandfather was named Lorenzo.
There are a large number of Milazzo's from the Louisiana area. My great grandfather may have had a brother named Paolo but my research hasn't gone that far back.
milagiro

Post by milagiro »

Paolo Milazzo immigrated first to LA in 1890 before going to WY - he was born in Camporeale / Trapani and I presume his father, Bartolemeo Milazzo, was also born in the area - so I was wondering if Lorenzo could have been a brother to either Paolo (my g-grandfather) or Bartolomeo (my g-g-grandfather)?

If you can trace your Lorenzo to Camporeale, then there is a good chance they are related
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

milagiro wrote:I know that my great-grandfather had siblings, but have not been able to trace any of them or even find out their names
Hi Betz! :D

Have you seen this 1905 arrival manifest?

http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0013

March 15, 1905:

Paul Milatzo, age 33, married, shoemaker, American Citizen, from Camporeale to New York, notations: District Court of Wyoming, November 3, 1902 (possible Naturalization date)

a few lines under his name is listed:
Montalbano Michele, age 16, male, single, agricultur, from Camporeale to New York... notations: he is travelling with his step-brother Paul Milatzo, american citizen.

Is this man your ancestor?

for reference, form Ancestry.com:

1900 United States Federal Census
about Paul Milatza
Name: Paul Milatza
[Paul Milatzo]
Home in 1900: Cheyenne Ward 1, Laramie, Wyoming
Birth Date: Dec 1871
Birthplace: Italien
[Italy]
Race: White
Immigration Year: 1892
Relationship to Head of House: Head
Father's Birthplace: Italien
Mother's Birthplace: Italien
Spouse's name: Mary
Marriage Year: 1895
Marital Status: Married
Years Married: 5
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members: Name Age
Paul Milatza 28 head, born in Italy, married since 5 years, immigration year 1892, shoemaker
Mary Milatza 22 wife, born in England, married since 5 years, mother of 2 children living, immigr. year 1893
Bartolomeo Milatza 2 son, born in WY
John Milatza 7/12 son, born in WY

http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=PqEIvCr

Laura
HughTornabene
Rookie
Rookie

Post by HughTornabene »

Wow. Great piece of research Laura.
I am most impressed. Hugh.
I have been listening in since I had a mention somewhere back there.
milagiro

Post by milagiro »

Hi Pink67!
Thanx for taking the time to look that up!

I've seen that record and it's not quite correct....Paolo Milazzo came to Louisiana in 1890 - when he arrived his name was altered to "Milatzo", because "some english lady changed the spelling of my name" (he told my father) - Paolo aka Paul then moved to WY in 1892 where he married Mary-Ann Whetcomb Benson - they had 3 children, the youngest was Mary Melchiora Milazzo (Milatzo) she was my grandmother.

In the early 1900's, Paul traveled back to Camporeale on business, when he came back to the U.S. he arrived in NY. My great-grandfather was awarded the title of Cavaliere in recognition of his service as the Italian Consul in WY, so he was always helping out his people and could have been bringing young Montalbano to the U.S. as a favor -but I've yet to unearth the surname Montalbano in our family tree. Paul's parents were Bartolomeo Milazzo and Melchiora Corpora both of Camporeale and no record of them ever remarrying.

There are so many conflicting records out there that I've spent about 10 years piecing them together! Recently I found a cousin on the Corpora side of our family and she had records galore - which not only corresponded with my research, but helped fill n the blanks....cool!

Betz
milagiro

Post by milagiro »

HughTornabene - I mentioned you earlier and was hoping you could take a look at: http://www.whirledvisions.com/Betz/MilazzoFamily.html

It is a photocopied page from: ITALIAN ACTIVITIES OF
THE INTER-MOUNTAIN REGION printed in 1930 by the International
Publishing Co., Salt Lake City, showing a photo of Paolo (my g-grandfather), his wife and children. What does the article say?
Thanx in advance!
Betz
HughTornabene
Rookie
Rookie

Post by HughTornabene »

Hi Betz,
This mainly taken from a google auto translation, directly from Italian to English. I do not speak Italian.
Hugh

CAVIORE PAOLO MILAZZO
Scommettiamo che non c'è una sola persona in Cheyenne che non conosca il Cav. Milazzo.
Non solo Io conoscono tutti, ma gli vogliono un grande bene.
Cara ed adorabile figura di una semplicita che incanta., il Cav. Milazzo è un uomo dell'antico
stampo, un italiano vecchio stile, che seguita ad amare la Patria
nostra come l'amavano i nostri padri, con umile devozione.
Il Milazzo viene da nobile famiglia, quella dei Baroni Milazzo di S. Giorgio, (una delle
più vecchie della Sicilia) ed è nato a Camporeale in provincia di Palermo nel 1871. Emigrò
nel 1902 e si situò a New Orleans in Luoisiana da dove passò nel Wyoming.
Paolo Milazzo fu fatto Cavaliere della Corona d'Italia nel 1926 in riconoscimento dei suoi
alti servigi ed è il corrispondente Consolare da Cheyenne; carica che tiene con zelo e dignità,
Egli salvò diversi italiani dalla pena di morte ed è un accanito difensore dei nostri conna-
zionali tutte le volte che si presenta l'occasione di doverli liberare da qualche guaio.
Il Milazzo perdette anni or sono uno dei figli Giovanni, valentissimo aviatore ed amico per-
sonale di Lindberg.
II ragazzo perì il 27 aprile 1927 in un accidente di volo, mentre trasportava la posta da
Chicago a Cleveland, lasciando i genitori nella più cupa desolazione.
Paolo Milazzo ha innato nel suo carattere l'istinto di mettere sempre pace e di impedire
disturbi. Ha nel suo modo di fare qualcosa dibenevolo, di protettivo che lo distingue e che
lo pone vicino alle più belle figure della emigrazione italiana in America.

CAVIORE PAUL MILAZZO
We bet that there is not one person in Cheyenne did not know Cav. Milazzo.
Not only do I know all but know him well.
Dear and adorable figure of a simplicity that charms., Cav. Milazzo is a man
of the ancient mold, an Italian old-style, who continues to love the homeland.
We loved how our fathers, with humble devotion.
The Milazzo is a noble family, the Barons Milazzo S. George (one of
Sicily's oldest) and was born in Camporeale in Palermo in 1871. Emigrated
in 1902 and located in New Orleans in Louisiana where it passed in Wyoming.
Paul Milazzo was made Knight of the Crown of Italy in 1926 in recognition of his
senior services and the corresponding Consulate to Cheyenne, a position he held with zeal and dignity,
He saved many Italians from the death penalty and is a staunch defender of our conn-
tions whenever the opportunity presents itself of having to leave some trouble.
The Milazzo years ago lost a son John, for skilful airman and personal friend of Lindberg.
The boy died April 27, 1927 in a flying accident while transporting mail from
Chicago to Cleveland, leaving parents in the darkest despair.
Paul Milazzo has an innate instinct in his nature to always put peace and prevent
disorders. Has its way of doing something dibenevolo of protection that distinguishes and
places it near the most beautiful figures of Italian emigration to America.
milagiro

Post by milagiro »

I'm sorry but I thought you spoke Italian, how kind of you to type out the entire article then translate! The article is an image so I couldn't copy n' paste - but I really, really appreciate your time!

I noticed that the article also states the immigration date as 1902 - somehow this date has entered the records as Paul's first entrance to the U.S. - but I have documents in his handwriting stating his arrival in Oct of 1890 - to New Orleans. So many questions now! If the Milazzo's are one of Sicily's oldest familys, why can't I trace them further back than 1845? Paul's father was Bartolomeo Milazzo - born 1845, and his father was Paolo Milazzo, born probably in the early 1820's - that's as far as I can go. Maybe the "old" spelling was Melazzo or something similar...? hmmmm...back to the research caves for me! :-)

Thank you kind sir for the work you put into this, please let me know if I can do anything for you!
Betz
P.S. my great-uncle was kind of famous, cool! :
http://www.flickr.com/photos/smithsonian/4010634341/
HughTornabene
Rookie
Rookie

Post by HughTornabene »

Betz,

I did cut and paste the image, then fed it through my OCR software which turned it into computer text. Shazam.

Your family has a crest, described as follows:
D'azzurro, con una torre merlata aperta e finestrata di nero piantate in un terreno al naturale nel canton destro della punta, sinistrata da un leone, e sormontata da sei stelle poste 4 e 2 il tutto d'oro.
Which I think means:
In blue, with an open battle tower and black windows on a natural landscape on the right, a lion on the left, surmounted by six stars arranged 4 and 2 all in gold.

So now you take an art course and create an image.
And maybe find someone who knows more Italian than me to verify the details.
Hugh
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

[quote="Pink672]Hi Betz!

Have you seen this 1905 arrival manifest?

www.ellisisland.org/EI...;line=0013

March 15, 1905:

Paul Milatzo, age 33, married, shoemaker, American Citizen, from Camporeale to New York, notations: District Court of Wyoming, November 3, 1902 (possible Naturalization date)

a few lines under his name is listed:
Montalbano Michele, age 16, male, single, agricultur, from Camporeale to New York... notations: he is travelling with his step-brother Paul Milatzo, american citizen.

Is this man your ancestor?[/quote]

Betz, from Ancestry.com this is the passport of the Paul Milatzo I mentioned above:

U.S. Passport Applications, 1795-1925
about Paul Milatzo
Name: Paul Milatzo
Birth Date: 8 Dec 1871
Birth Place: Camporeale, Sicily
Residence: Cheyenne, Wyoming
Passport Issue Date: 16 Nov 1904
Passport Includes a Photo: N
Source: Passport Applications, 1795-1905 (M1372)

image:
http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=aVqUdVS

Statements on the passport:

12 november 1904
...I was born at Camporeale, Sicily on 8 december 1871, I emigrated to the U.S. from Palermo, Sicily on 10 october 1890, I resided 14 years in the U.S. from 11/1/1900, date of landing at New Orleans, to this date at Cheyenne, Wyoming, except for two first years, I was naturalized before the U.S. District court of Wyoming at Cheyenne on the 3 November 1902

so, no doubt that the 1905 arrival manifest and the person listed on this passport were the same....
And Paul's declarations on the passport make me think it was "your" Paolo Milazzo.... :?
milagiro wrote:I've seen that record and it's not quite correct....Paolo Milazzo came to Louisiana in 1890 - when he arrived his name was altered to "Milatzo", because "some english lady changed the spelling of my name" (he told my father) - Paolo aka Paul then moved to WY in 1892 where he married Mary-Ann Whetcomb Benson - they had 3 children, the youngest was Mary Melchiora Milazzo (Milatzo) she was my grandmother.

In the early 1900's, Paul traveled back to Camporeale on business, when he came back to the U.S. he arrived in NY.
Don't you believe it could be the same person?

I know you probably have these records but for references I'm posting them :D

1910 United States Federal Census
about Paulo M Milazzi
Name: Paulo M Milazzi
[Paulo M Milazzo]
Age in 1910: 38
Estimated birth year: abt 1872
Birthplace: Italy
Relation to Head of House: Head
Father's Birth Place: Italy
Mother's Birth Place: Italy
Spouse's name: Mary W
Home in 1910: Cheyenne Ward 2, Laramie, Wyoming
Year of Immigration: 1891
Paulo M Milazzi 38 head, born in IT, married since 15 years, naturalized, occupation proprietor Shoe Repair Shop
Mary W Milazzi 32 wife, born in England, married since 15 years
Bartolomes Milazzi 12 son, born in WY
John F Milazzi 10 son, born in WY
Mary M Milazzi 8 daughter, born in WY

image:
http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=aVqUWPr

1920 United States Federal Census
about Paul M Miloyo
Name: Paul M Miloyo
[Paul M Milatzo]
Home in 1920: Cheyenne, Laramie, Wyoming
Estimated birth year: abt 1871
Relation to Head of House: Self (Head)
[Head]
Father's Birth Place: Italy
Mother's Birth Place: Italy
Sex: Male
Home owned: Own
Year of Immigration: 1880
Able to read: Yes
Able to Write: Yes
Paul M Miloyo 49 head, born in IT, occupation shoe maker
Mary Miloyo 42 wife, born in England
Emily Miloyo 17 dughter, born in WY

image:
http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=Ts8dcPJ

1930 United States Federal Census
about Paul Milatzo
Home in 1930: Cheyenne, Laramie, Wyoming
View Map
Estimated birth year: abt 1872
Relation to Head of House: Head

Education:

Military service:

Rent/home value:

Age at first marriage:

Parents' birthplace: View image
Paul Milatzo 58
Mary Milatzo 52

image:
http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=aVqZC9i

Laura :D
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

again form Ancestry.com:

Laramie County, Wyoming Naturalization Records, 1867-1920
about Paul Milatzo
Record Entry: Index to District Court Journal
Record Date: 3 Nov 1902
Court: 1st District Court, Laramie County, Wyoming
Vol: 4
Page: 46
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

A very nice 1900 newspaper article for Paul Milazzo:

http://pluto.state.wy.us:8080/awweb/mai ... 1&awdid=11

Title: Unfortunate Italians

Link top the site:
http://www.wyonewspapers.org/

Laura
elecar
Rookie
Rookie

Post by elecar »

Could you tell me more about the book"Italian Activities of the Inter-Mountain Regions"?