Decieco, DeCieco,deCieco

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
jamiecapaldi
Master
Master

Re: Decieco, DeCieco,deCieco

Post by jamiecapaldi »

[quote="jamiecapaldi"]You are right about different spellings.
My original family name is 'Capaldo' not 'Capaldi', but i found that on Italian Certificates. Like yours 'Decieco', i seen plenty of Di Cicco or Di Ciceo family names in the Italian Birth Records between 1857-1864 in Cassino.
My worst spelling i found is in the 1896 Bristol Directory, which is meant to spell 'capaldi' but it is spelt 'Caldalpy'.
I also have it spelt; Capalto, Capalti, Capoldi, Copaldi, etc.
The Beneddeto spelling i used in the above forum is a guess. It shows the spelling on the cencus as 'Benrietta' but shows him as a Son?quote]

I have just beaten the spellings quoted, and just found my family in a 1901 census, with the spelling:

Calliblder for Capaldi!

So it does pay for you to search only first names, dates or places all separately, and you might find the record you have been searching for that long time!!

Jamie Capaldi
NAMES: Capaldi-Tedesco-Tamilio-Minchella-Verrecchia-Tomasso-Franchitto-Innelli-Arpino-Caringi-Colacicco-Macari-Pinchera-Salera-D'Orazio-Ambrosino-Di Mambro-Sigliocolo-Masello
PLACES: Cassino- UK, USA, Ireland, Canada & Australia
http://www.cassino-families.co.uk
PUPALUP

Post by PUPALUP »

hockings wrote:i am trying to trace my family.my father was bernard decieco son of lionel and cicily from penzance. they had fourteen children .they moved to launcestone north cornwall and then to bristol.i am looking to obtain any information about my family

Good evening, you mention the name Decieco, my grandparents were called that, they had 14 children, the oldest was Lionel who was married to Phyliss Mary he also had a brother called Bernard and they did live in Penzance then moved to North Cornwall. Bernard was my uncle.

I do hope you or someone replies to this message board, although I notice the original message was posted back in Jun 2010.

Kind regards
jamiecapaldi
Master
Master

Post by jamiecapaldi »

Regarding my earlier post on the Erico Di cicco who lived with my Capaldi's in Montague Street. I found a write up in a book on him which had been spelt 'Di Ciccio', attached!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
NAMES: Capaldi-Tedesco-Tamilio-Minchella-Verrecchia-Tomasso-Franchitto-Innelli-Arpino-Caringi-Colacicco-Macari-Pinchera-Salera-D'Orazio-Ambrosino-Di Mambro-Sigliocolo-Masello
PLACES: Cassino- UK, USA, Ireland, Canada & Australia
http://www.cassino-families.co.uk
CERTACETO

Post by CERTACETO »

Jamie I have not been on the site for ages but this article is really interesting, thanks for posting it.
Rgds

Brian
CERTACETO

Post by CERTACETO »

Joanna Hickey
Jan 24, 2017
Hi Brian. Thanks for the message. Trust me on this because I have done a lot of research, as you can see. The correct names are Di Cicco and Tomasso.
I have no information on the Di Cicco name because they are not related to me. However I, as are you and most of the Bristol Italians of the first wave, am a direct decendant of Angelo Tomasso (1740) and his wife Antonia Salvatore.
Pasqua's father Gaetano and my great grandmother Maria were brother and sister.
Pascqua in Italian means Easter so that is probably why she changed her name to Hester - because it sounds like Easter but it is actually Persian for "Star".
It looks as though Giuseppe, or Joseph, died in 1918 and she quickly married a man called Serafino Schiavo in Bristol and returned to Italy because I can find no record of her in UK.
I can't ever remember my mother mentioning the name Di Cicco and I was able to decipher a lot of my research from remembering the names she talked about. I've met quite a few....
I hope this helps.
Good luck, Cousin,
Jo Hickey.
CERTACETO

Post by CERTACETO »

Anyone got any news on this link

Cheers

Brian
cedrone
Master
Master

Post by cedrone »

The site Cognomix lists the surname De Ciechi as a rare but existing Italian surname.
Howewer even if not listed in that or other similar websites, this doesn't mean a surname is absolutely not existing, it could be even more rare.
So even De Cieco could be or have been existing. This should be the correct Italian spelling, with De separated from the following part (not as used in the US). Cieco (plural ciechi) is a word meaning 'blind' so it seems evident also the origin of such a surname: descendent of someone who was blind.

https://www.cognomix.it/mappe-dei-cogno ... /DE_CIECHI
cedrone
Master
Master

Post by cedrone »

cedrone
Master
Master

Post by cedrone »

I add this:
In the Italian language very few words have the group of letters cie-
A bad transcription of surname De Cecco could be DeCeco, why to add the i? This meens it was present in the original name, so I think the name was De Cieco, now not found in the phone book, but as I said it could still exist.
CERTACETO

Post by CERTACETO »

Thanks Cedrone, I think Joanne Hickey got all the correct info on the family