Passport or Manifest photographs

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Seraphina
Veteran
Veteran

Passport or Manifest photographs

Post by Seraphina »

Can anyone advise me whether it is possible to view passport photographs of the person one is searching for, on either Ellis Island site or Castle Garden?

Is there a search facility for this? I only ask because I thought I had seen Peter Timber, I think it was him, directing someone how to do this. I think it must have been quite some time ago, because I can't find the thread.
I'm probably mistaken, anyway.

Seraphina
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Passport or Manifest photographs

Post by johnnyonthespot »

There are a number of places that one might find passport applications and/or naturalization documents online; one of these is ancestry . com. Unfortunately, neither CastelGarden or EllisIsland.org will have these.

If you give me a name and date of birth I will be happy to take a look on ancestry . com for you.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

I do not recall any referral to view passport photos in the USA. I may have but since I am in my early dotage I suffer from cosmic moments and do not remember any reference to immigrant fotos inthe USA. The USA and other countries did not require passports in the early years of immigration so many italians left Italy bearing these internal passports

However since Passports were first issed for internal use in Italy in 1869 to make sure young Italian men did not immigrate to avoid the military draft, passports were issued by the QUESTURA (Internal Police) in each province.

Although you may write to request passport information, the archives where these records (possible fotos) are not open to the public.

There is a website www.poliziadistato.it/scrivici (in english ) to make inquiries if you so wish. =Peter=
~Peter~
Seraphina
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Seraphina »

Thanks Carmine for the offer. It was just a thought, but I won't take it further.

Peter, I think I must have been having a "senior moment" and imagined it.

C'est la vie.

Seraphina
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

cosmic is such an elevated and preferable word don't you think? I mean..its up there! =Peter=
~Peter~
Seraphina
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Seraphina »

It's such a nice expression, Peter. Very sublime.

Seraphina