Cresime Record

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
dixiecricket13
Veteran
Veteran

Cresime Record

Post by dixiecricket13 »

What information is found in a Cresime record?

Thanks!
maestra36
Master
Master

Re: Cresime Record

Post by maestra36 »

I believe it is a church record related to the sacrament of Confirmation
dixiecricket13
Veteran
Veteran

Post by dixiecricket13 »

Yes, but what information is found. I see names listed but are they parent names or godparent names?
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

I have honestly never worked with these type of records, so I can only pass along to you what I am reading from Trafford Cole's book (p.132). Sorry if the following doesn't answer your question. His book does not have a sample of this type of record for me to look at.

According to him, these records may list by parish all of the children in the village who participated in the cresima. Exact birth dates are not provided, but the age of the child can be presumed because confirmation usually took place between age eight and about twelve...occasionally the age of the child or the name of the father was listed. Because in earlier times the bishop's visit was made only once every few years, sometimes more than one sibling in a family participated in the cresima.
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

Someone else on this forum had previously posted the following concerning these type of records:

"They are not too informative, but do let you know that the family was still in the town at a certain time."