Surname

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
skureg

Surname

Post by skureg »

:D

Looking for my Roots and I can't find what I'm looking for..........

My surname is De Francesco and my mothers maiden name is Serino the region my parents are from is Guardiaredgia, Molise.

Any help would be greatly appreciated !!!!!!!!

8) [/b]
ptimber
Master
Master

Re: Surname

Post by ptimber »

What are you looking for?? Please be specific since you are the one who is going to do the research and I am only gvoing to guide you to appropriate websites and addresses. Peter NYC
skureg

Post by skureg »

Thanks Peter..........

Looking to find out where the De Francesco's and Serino's originated from and how far back we actually go..............

Thanks in advance
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

Serino is local in origin for Molise region. Sereno has the title for being an italioan surname but there are 254 cities towns and villages in Italy with persons having the SERINO surname while there are 192 having the orthodox spelling of SERENO. In the Moilise region tghere are only 17 Serino and fully 7 are in the town of Guardiaregia Postal code 86014 (relatives no doubt) (www.paginebianche.it for the list. The remaining 10 are in the province of Campobasso. As for De Francesco that is a base name and there are 500 cities, towns and villages in Italy with that surname but there are 34 De Francesco in Campobasso province and 9 in Guardiaregia (no doubtr relatives). De francesco is derived from French and France and Sereni is derived first froim the latin Serenus but is alos used to describe a high area devoid o vegetation. The true meaning for your family may be something that was acquired and has been lost in the mists of time. Peter
skureg

Post by skureg »

Thank You, for your help !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:D :D :D
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

We are here!! Peter
Essgee
Master
Master

Post by Essgee »

In addition, the civil records for Guardiaregia are on microfilm at the Family History Library. The FHL is the genealogical library associated with the LDS Church. They have branches all over the US...and you do not have to be a church member to use the facilities.
Go to:
www.family search.org
to find out where the branch closest to your home is located.

The civil records are the birth, marriage, and death records for the town. They cover from 1809 to 1900, I believe, for this town. They are in Italian but can be read with a translation dictionary and a lot of persistance. You may also wish to get a copy of Trafford Cole's Italian Genealogical Records or Lynne Nelson's Discovering Your Italian Ancestors. Both help you understand how to read the records and where to look for additional information.

You can track both family names in the town to at least 1809...and maybe further back with the death/marriage records. You will be able to find parents, brothers and sisters, grandparents, etc for both surnames.

Good Hunting