Italian Military Records

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
donnawright
Elite
Elite

Italian Military Records

Post by donnawright »

I do not want to be a pest to the officials, requesting something I really don't need just for the sake of.

I received a reply from the provincial archive that they will send the military record of one individual -- all others have to be done at the archive personally.

I know my grandfather's place and date of birth and the names of his parents. He was born in 1883 and came to America in 1913.

My GGF was born in the same town in 1860. I know his father's name. I do not know if either of these men served in the military.

Which, if either, record should I try to obtain for best bang for the buck? Here is a paragraph copied from a genealogy site.....

"While you are requesting the conscription records (registri di leva), try asking for copies of the registro dei fogli matricolari (register of service) and the foglio di ruolo (discharge papers). These last two records will only be available if your ancestor served in the military. In your request, include all information you know, including dates or areas your ancestor served in."

Your comments please.

Donna
Looking for Biagianti, Modesti & Vincenti in Tuscany and Tomaino, Curcio, Mazza, & Rizzo in Calabria
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Re: Italian Military Records

Post by nuccia »

Donna, try contacting Riccardo for information. He seems to know most about this type of thing and has helped my a lot.

Good luck.
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
ascione_m

Post by ascione_m »

Could I ask who Riccardo is?

The story from my father is that his paternal grandfather was on leave as the word came that World War I was over. Apparently, on his way back to his unit, he was killed by someone who had not heard hostilities had ceased.

I have his name, and obviously, an approximate date that he'd have been registered as dead and where he lived, but I'd like to get some information if I could, because that's about all the info I have.

Thanks
Mark
Ascione/Biancucci - Pescosolido, Frosinone, Lazio
Gorrasi - Roccadaspide, Salerno, Campania
Cerigliano - Laurenzana, Potenza, Basilicata
Colucci -
Elia/Castellucci - Alanno, Pescara, Abruzzo
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

Riccardo is forum member "ricbru"

For military deaths, you can begin at this Ministry of Defense web site: http://www.difesa.it/Ministro/Commissar ... olture.htm

Enter your grandfather's surname in the field labeled Cognome and given name in the Nome field then click Avvia Ricerca. It may seem as though nothing happened, but scroll down and view the list of records, if any. Clcik the arrow under the Dettagli column for additional information.

See this recent thread for information on ordering military records. You would, of course, need to adjust based on your grandfather's place of birth (records are held at the state archives which encompasses the subject's place of birth): http://italiangenealogy.com/Forums/view ... 19265.html
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
ascione_m

Post by ascione_m »

Carmine, you really are johnnyonthespot lol

this is what I got back:

Commissariato Generale Onoranze Caduti in Guerra

Notizie sulle sepolture dei Caduti in Guerra

Nome: MICHELANGELO
Cognome: ASCIONE
Data di Nascita: 14/4/1885
Luogo di Nascita: PESCOSOLIDO
Luogo Sepoltura: ITALIA
Data Decesso: 10/9/1917
Luogo Decesso: SUL CAMPO

Now my Italian is terible... so I get that Michelangelo Ascione was born Apr 14, 1885, Pescosolido, and died Oct 10, 1917 I guess in Sul Campo?

I don't know what the first 2 lines translate to...
Colucci -
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

The first two lines are just "headers" indicating that the following is a list of war dead.

"Luogo" means "Place", thus Place of Birth (Luogo di Nascita), Place Buried (Luogo Sepoltura), and Place of Death (Luogo Decesso). I believe "Sul Campo" means "On the field" (of battle?).
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

The address for the Frosinone archives is:

Archivio di Stato di Frosinone
Piazza De Matthaeis 41
03100 Frosinone
ITALY

Email: as-fr@beniculturali.it (remove the spaces)
Carmine

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Date of death, by the way, was September 10, 1917.
Carmine

ascione_m

Post by ascione_m »

sorry for thread-jacking Donna

thank you for your help Carmine!
Colucci -