Looking for my Great Great Grandmother

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
SaraG

Re: Looking for my Great Great Grandmother

Post by SaraG »

How did you find information on this Maria Salatino and that she was their mother? I visited your website, I guess you have better resources than we do here in America. I do know that my Great grandfather did have a step mother at some point but i have never found any marriage records. But if his mother was Maria and all we know is that she died in an earthquake how would that be possible if she was living in America. I wish I could somehow get a hold of my great grandfather's birth record then I would really know but i cant find any church records for Messina.
JoeVenezia
Rookie
Rookie

Post by JoeVenezia »

Hi Sara,

Go back to my post on 11/30 at 7:39pm.....click on the Family Search hyperlink....Messina civil records are available which should have his birth record from 1900:

Nati 1901-1904 - FHL INTL [ 1642245 ]

This is the film you want to order from your local Family History Center:

http://www.familysearch.org/eng/library ... et_fhc.asp

Let me know if this makes sense......

Good Luck!

Joe V.
Surnames: Venezia (Atripalda), Ciotti (Roccagorga), Di Giacomo (Polla), Tassi (Ceccano)
SaraG

Post by SaraG »

what film? and no I am not able to find his birth records at the familysearch.org site. I've looked over and over, either they dont have it or I really suck at this.
JoeVenezia
Rookie
Rookie

Post by JoeVenezia »

Haa haa! You need to go to your local Family History Center.....click on the link I had in there and put in your state to find one close to you. Then you need to go to the local Center/church and order the microfilm records....you view them there....make sense?

Joe V.
Surnames: Venezia (Atripalda), Ciotti (Roccagorga), Di Giacomo (Polla), Tassi (Ceccano)
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Sara I made a little resume:

-Biff found the arrival of Antonio and Paolo Tortorella, arrived in USA the Nov 21, 1904 -Nord America ship;
-you found your great grandfather's naturalization papers and he did arrive on the Nord America on November 21, 1904;
-on the ship's manifest(Nord America on November 21, 1904) Antonio joining at Maria Salatino wife in Brooklyn, Kings, NY;
-Antonio declared in this ship's manifest that he already was in USA from 1902-1904 ( sept 1904);
-so Antonio and Maria emigrated the first time in 1902, leaving the children in Messina;
-Antonio in November 21, 1904 travelling with children: Concetta and Paolo;
-in Jul 20, 1910, Fortunato Tortorella, brother of Antonio, arrived in USA with own family and with niece Giuseppa daughter of Antonio Tortorella; all joining at Antonio Tortorella in Brooklyn, at a address that is the same declared from Antonio in November 21, 1904 arrival.

-Now: you said that Antonio wife ( Paolo mother) died in a Messina earthquake; that by family rumor..
-the big earthquake in Messina was in 1908; so maybe Maria Salatino back in Messina- for some reason -and died in 1908 earthquake...???

suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH