Leaving the country

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
HCbaby

Leaving the country

Post by HCbaby »

I know you can find passenger records coming into the US. But what about if they left and went back to Italy? My great grandfather came over in 1903 from Sturno Italy. Then he disappears. I think he went back because his daughter was born in the same year. How can I find out? His name was Lorenzo Belfiore.
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Re: Leaving the country

Post by nuccia »

HCbaby wrote:I know you can find passenger records coming into the US. But what about if they left and went back to Italy? My great grandfather came over in 1903 from Sturno Italy. Then he disappears. I think he went back because his daughter was born in the same year. How can I find out? His name was Lorenzo Belfiore.
Was his daughter born in Italy? Perhaps see if you can get a copy of her birth act. Often when the father is out of town during the birth of a child it is listed on the birth of the child.

Unfortunately there is no out going passenger lists that I know of.
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

HCbaby wrote:I know you can find passenger records coming into the US. But what about if they left and went back to Italy? My great grandfather came over in 1903 from Sturno Italy. Then he disappears. I think he went back because his daughter was born in the same year. How can I find out? His name was Lorenzo Belfiore.
We can help search for Lorenzo in US...

Can you provide some details? date of birth, wife's name, daughter's name?
Did Lorenzo return to US, and do you have that manifest? Did his wife and children come to US?

T.
HCbaby

Post by HCbaby »

I do have the birth record for his last daughter. Her name was Maria Carpinella Belfiore. She was born in Sturno Italy on Dec. 15, 1903. The birth was reported by a mid wife. because her father was absent. It is quoted in the record that he could not report the birth himself because he finds himself in America. (the dates match up) Her mothers name was Emmanuela Ceriello. I don't know if she or the daughter came her or not. There are other siblings that did. I only find one passenger record from Ellis Island showing Lorenzo Belfiore. It says he is going to stay with a brother in-law. It also says it is his 1st time here. His son Leonard Belfiore is my grandfather. They all migrated to Glen Cove Long Island. If you can shed any light on him, It would be awesome! I do also know that he was born about 1862. That's based on the birth records of his children.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Does the family tree for Lorenzo Belfiore on Ancestry belong to you?

It contains the marriage record for Lorenzo and Emmanuela...
Lists Emmauela's birthplace as Frigento...

T.
HCbaby

Post by HCbaby »

Yes that is me. Doty/Belfiore tree. I have all the birth records of their children too. Just can't seem to find out what ever happened to Lorenzo after he came here?