Allegretti and Napolitano

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Nance

Allegretti and Napolitano

Post by Nance »

My grandparents last names were Allegretti and Napolitano. Most of my family has since passed and I can't find out the answers I want or they are too old and can't remember.

They came to the US when they were small and grandpa changed his last name to Naples. I know he was from the Naples area but wondering were my grandmother was from. All I know is Northern Italy. I believe she might have been from Benevento area. I know my Uncle Al's middle name was Fume. I remember him telling me he was named for a city in Italy. Grandma's first name was Josephine. I have looked but can't find much of anything. Would like some guidance.

Thanks,
Nance
ptimber
Master
Master

Re: Allegretti and Napolitano

Post by ptimber »

Benevento is not Northern Italy.t is an adjoing province to Naples province. FIUME is the name your Uncle means. Now for your grandparents you do not say who is who and in Italy women do not lose their dientity and keep their maiden name so she would show up as ???allegretti or napolitano depending on what her last name is. As for researching may I recommend that you try the ellisisland.org website for their entry (YOU DON"T SAY anything about what you checked) and that would give you all the vital data.f that does not work and they died after 1963 you can go to the www.ssdi.genealogy.rootsweb.com (social security death index) and then click on the SS-5 box for a form letter requesting copy of original aopplication which shuld also have the vital data. May I also suggest that since you are embarking on research buy/borrow the book Italian Genealogical records by Trafford R. Cole so that you can do your thing. Peter
say
Rookie
Rookie

Post by say »

I have been researching my family from Nusco, Avellino province. My great grandfather Michele Mongelluzzo was married to a Carmela Napolitano, daughter of Pasquale and Caterina Delli Gatti. Her birth record shows her fathers parents as "unknown", which I am told means he was probably adopted and given this surname by officials. I have not come across and others with this surname in Nusco records yet, but she may have had a sibling. Allegretti is not a surname I remember from Nusco records. My great grandmother was born in 1873. Have you checked ship manifests to see if you can find where they came to America from? I also do not know if this surname would be one common to another commune, so perhaps another person could help us there?
Sherry
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

Dear Sherry I already covered that with her pending her responses. Without knwing who is who and where is where may as well wait for her to respond. Peter
say
Rookie
Rookie

Post by say »

Will do. Peter, for my own knowledge, I checked the manifests and see that Napolitano is a very common name. Do you know if it is usual for officials to give a child a common name such as this, and one that is not common for their town? I have seen other documents where parents are listed as unknown, but since I am not familiar with Italian surnames from other areas, I would not know if this is common practice??
Sherry
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

It was usually given to orphans along with esposito that I am aware but I suppose a child of deceased parents without relativces would continue with the same legal name and surname furnished at birth. I am aware of your "NUSCO" work and please accept my compliments. Peter
say
Rookie
Rookie

Post by say »

Thank you Peter, but I am afraid I am still a little confused, so please bare with me. I have not seen the name Espisito at all in Nusco documents. If it was a child given up at birth, would officials give an orphan a surname from another commune?
Sherry
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

It was a common practice in Italy, perhaps favored in one region over another but as you can see in the directories it is a common name in Italy. I am not aware of any practice but antyhign is possible and it maybe that it was a casual aberration and nothing more but who knows what the mists of time have shrouded. peter
Nance

Post by Nance »

Peter
Thank you for your reply.
My grandmother was Josephine Allegretti and my grandfather was Anthony Naples. I found nothing at Ellis Island for my grandma but think I found were grandpa came over at age 13 but not for sure. I know it is hard to trace back with limited information. I still have one aunt and uncle left to retrieve information which might be of some help. I will also check the places you have listed as well.

Again, thank you for your insight.

Nance
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Nance wrote:Peter
Thank you for your reply.
My grandmother was Josephine Allegretti and my grandfather was Anthony Naples. I found nothing at Ellis Island for my grandma but think I found were grandpa came over at age 13 but not for sure. I know it is hard to trace back with limited information. I still have one aunt and uncle left to retrieve information which might be of some help. I will also check the places you have listed as well.

Again, thank you for your insight.

Nance
Hi: are some Giuseppa (Giuseppina= Josephine is an diminutive of Giuseppa) Allegretti
-Allegretti,Giuseppa from Peitrapertna (Pietraperzia/Enna/Sicily)emigrated 1900 age 17
-Allegretti,Giuseppa from Grumo (are Grumo Appula/Bari/Puglia region and are Grumo Nevano/Napoli...-?), emigrated 1920 age 1
-Allegretti,Guiseppa from Giavana(Giavena/Treviso/ Veneto region)emigrated 1898 age 33
-Allegretti,Maria Giuseppa Potewtu(Potenza), Grsttole (Grottole/Matera province/Basilicata region in the past was in Potenza province), emigrated 1907 age 66 ;

Napolitano:

-Napolitanos(Napolitano),Antonio from Marigliano(near Naples/Napoli/Campania region) emigrated 1902 age 13
http://ellisisland.org/search/shipManif ... 3350090169

-Napolitano,Antonio from Sperone(Avellino province/Campania region)emigrated 1902 age 15
http://ellisisland.org/search/shipManif ... 2740021257

-Napolitano,Antonio from S. Salvo (Chieti province/Abruzzo region), Italy emigrated 1921 age 12
http://ellisisland.org/search/shipManif ... 0132030193

-Napolitano,Antonio from Cicciano(near Naples/Napoli province/ Campania region) emigrated 1905 age 14
http://ellisisland.org/search/shipManif ... 2389050518

-Napolitano,Anso (Antonio?)emigrated 1892 age 13
http://ellisisland.org/search/shipManif ... 4336050207

-Napolitano,Antonino from Palermo(Sicily region)emigrated 1902 age 13
http://ellisisland.org/search/shipManif ... 2780100338

For better search you know max aproximative year of emigration?
some other detail? Final destination?
regards, suanj