Surname help please....Di Gieso

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Genquilts
Rookie
Rookie

Surname help please....Di Gieso

Post by Genquilts »

This is the surname on my husband's grandmothers marriage certificate. I tried to locate the name using the surname search, and the white pages, but there aren't any....so I have to assume it was misspelled.

Does anyone have any idea what the name SHOULD have been. She was from Toritto, Bari and imigrated, probably through Ellis Island sometime after 1910. There is no name of that spelling on the Ellis Island website either.

Thank you for your help!
Carol
mfjp
Master
Master

Re: Surname help please....Di Gieso

Post by mfjp »

Through Ellis Island...

Digiosa,Domenico Toretto
Di Giesi,Ma. Francesca Toretto, Bari
DiGiosa,Maria Toritto
Digiosa,Vito Toritto, Italy
DiGiose,Mauro Toritto

Through Boston Harbor
Giuseppe Digiosa 11 Feb 1916 1896 Male Naples, Italy Italy

Hope this helps...

mfjp
Genquilts
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Surname help please....Di Gieso -- DiGiosa

Post by Genquilts »

Thank you for your help! Unfortunately the Maria on the Ellis Island record can't be the person I seek. She came too early (mine should be after 1912) and was too young! The M Michaela DiGiosa left from the wrong part of Italy. I need to keep looking!

Is it possible she would have used her husband's name, Durso? I know women keep their maiden names in Italy, that's why I was searching for her using DiGiosa.

Thanks again... you have been so helpful!
Carol Parente
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

Since you had not provided a given name for DiGiosa, I only posted surnames that were possibilities.... if you are looking for a particular person, you should post given names... doesn't hurt to look for the right one...
The M Michaela DiGiosa left from the wrong part of Italy. I need to keep looking!
... can you explain what this means...

Maybe you can narrow everything down by supplying a given name for her husband!

Most of the time she would have traveled over with her maiden name, and if she was traveling with her children, they would be under their fathers surname.

Also if you can provide year of birth for the couple it would also help... and where they settled...

Did you ever find a manifest for her husband??
-----------------------------------------------------
Here's a manifest of interest though...a Maria DiGesi and Saverio D'Urso couple... though not M. Michaela as you mention... I can see that this surname does create a research challenge...

First Name: Maria Francesca (mother in Italy is Maria Nicola Palumbo?) will check this name further...

Last Name: DiGesi
Ethnicity: Italy, Italian South
Last Place of Residence: Toritto, Italy
Date of Arrival: April 28, 1915
Age at Arrival:  48y    Gender:  F    Marital Status:  M  
Ship of Travel: San Guglielmo
Port of Departure: Naples
Manifest Line Number: 0024

http://ellisisland.org/search/shipManif ... 0864%2ETIF

and page 2

Going to New York to be with her husband Saverio D'Urso.

http://ellisisland.org/search/shipManif ... 0353120212

mfjp
Genquilts
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Genquilts »

:oops: I'm sorry. I have been reading posts, and KNEW that I should have put more information in that initial query! My apologies! And thank you for some direction!

You have given me much to think about. From the family stories I have heard: Maria DiGiosa (DiGieso?, DiGesi?) came through Ellis Island some time between 1912 and 1915 from Torito, Bari. I asked my mother-in-law if her grandfater (Xavier or Savier) D'urso ever came here, and she was of the opinion that her grandfather had died in Italy before her grandmother (Maria) came here. She has no memory of a grandfather.

However, your information has made me think that I need to look again at this question! It seems to be too much of a coincidence that Maria DiGesi (of the correct age and from the correct place in Italy) was coming at the correct time, to meet a husband of the correct name (even if I didn't know he was here!)

I do know that Maria lived with her son Nick D'Urso in Newark, NJ at the time of her death. I don't have the date of her death, I'm looking for that now. I will also look for a record of the death of Savier Durso.
Thank you for all of your help!
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

So Nick was obviously born it Italy...

Did you ever find his manifest?

Should be interesting to see where and with whom he'd be in USA...

I guess you never had a reason to look for Saverio's manifest... as it was thought he died in Italy....?

8O :!: :?:
It seems to be too much of a coincidence that Maria DiGesi (of the correct age and from the correct place in Italy) was coming at the correct time, to meet a husband of the correct name (even if I didn't know he was here!)

Something to look into... if I find anything, I will certainly post...

mfjp
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

Can you name Nicola's siblings if any??
Genquilts
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Genquilts »

mfjp wrote:Can you name Nicola's siblings if any??
Nicola had a sister who (I think) is the Nengia D'urso who arrived April 21, 1909. This is the grandmother of my husband.

There may have been a younger sister who died in Italy, name of Francisca. Her name was given to my mother-in-law as a middle name.

I have found a death record for Nicola that lists his birth date as Sept 9, 1896.

I will have my husband call his older uncle to see if there is more information.

Thank you for all your help!
Carol
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

I do owe you an appology... you had mentioned some of this info in one of your other posts...

Here is the manifest for research purposes...

http://www.ellisisland.org/search/shipM ... 0396%2ETIF

but what happened to page 1??? of this manifest....Did you ever see one??
I will see if I can find it through other means...

First Name: Nengia
Last Name: Durso
Ethnicity: Italian, South
Last Place of Residence: Toritto, Bari
Date of Arrival: April 21, 1909
Age at Arrival:  16y    Gender:  F    Marital Status:  S  
Ship of Travel: Neckar
Port of Departure: Naples
Manifest Line Number: 0021

Earlier today, while looking through some Toritto manifests, I found another unusual manifest... I looked at the manifest for Giambattista and Stefano DiGiosa... and sure enough... the parents were listed as Saverio and Maria.... and I thought great!!! but then the surnames were incorrect.... :? Here... take a look!... was just looking for siblings...

http://www.ellisisland.org/search/shipm ... 0699140203

page 1
http://www.ellisisland.org/search/shipM ... 0747%2ETIF
Genquilts
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Genquilts »

I receved this note when I posted a note to Ellis Island requesting clarification of the Nengia D'urso record. I followed the directions and I did find the 1st page of the manifest.

Good news! I may have found your ancestors. To view the manifest you go to www.jewishgen.org Scroll down to HOSTED ORGANIZATION. Once that is done Scroll down to the 3rd link / ELLIS ISLAND DATABASE. Then scroll down to the 5th link and click on / MISSING MANIFESTS. At the bottom of your screen you’ll see a tool bar. At the Left magnify to 0.7. Adjust to Series T715 After that is done on the same tool bar you’ll see ROLL and FRAME, on the roll you adjust the number to 1247. And the frame to 271 . You’ll see the passenger there. If you want to purchase the manifest you must call 212-561-4550 and give the same information I gave you.

Thank you again for all your assistance..I keep working!
Carol
Genquilts
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Genquilts »

In speaking to my mother in law last night she informed me that her mother did have a younger sister Frances (Franscesca sp?) who died before Mom was born. She says she was named for this sister. I had thought she had died in Italy, but was told last night that in fact she died after coming to the US. No idea of when she arrived, or with whom she traveled.

There was a cloud around the death of this sister, and she was rarely spoken of.

Now I have another D'urso to look for!
Carol
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

Created links for both pages... now you can see both pages.

Lines 20, 21...

http://img192.exs.cx/img192/4738/nunzia1rt.jpg

http://img192.exs.cx/img192/3486/saverio1at.jpg

mfjp