Manniglia

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
amaniglia

Manniglia

Post by amaniglia »

My grandfather was from a small town in Sicily near Agrigento called Comitini. His name was Antonio Maniglia. He was born there on January 25, 1896 and arrived here via Ellis Island in 1913. His passport lists him as Antonino Maniglia which I translate to meaning "Little Anthony". I know about him from the time he arrived in the US but little of his family from Italy other than a picture he had of his mother (Josephine Valenti maiden name---not sure if that translates to Giuseppa Valenti). I would appreciate any guidance you might give me to get more information on my Italian roots. I subscribe to Ancestry.com world edition and am overwhelmed at all the information but have spent hours trying to find them without success.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Manniglia

Post by Tessa78 »

amaniglia wrote:My grandfather was from a small town in Sicily near Agrigento called Comitini. His name was Antonio Maniglia. He was born there on January 25, 1896 and arrived here via Ellis Island in 1913. His passport lists him as Antonino Maniglia which I translate to meaning "Little Anthony". I know about him from the time he arrived in the US but little of his family from Italy other than a picture he had of his mother (Josephine Valenti maiden name---not sure if that translates to Giuseppa Valenti). I would appreciate any guidance you might give me to get more information on my Italian roots. I subscribe to Ancestry.com world edition and am overwhelmed at all the information but have spent hours trying to find them without success.
Here is the birth record from Comitini for Antonino Maniglia...

Record #11
Dated 2 February 1896 at 10:15 Am at the town office in Comitini
Appearing before the official was Angelo Maniglia, age 36, sulfur miner residing in Comitini, to declare that at 6:20 AM on the 1st of the current month at the place at Vicolo Petrarca #14, to Giuseppa Valenti, housewife, age 30, his wife living with him, was born a male child who he presented to the official and who was given the name ANTONINO

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... Q:98982413

AND... here is the birth record for Giuseppa Valenti in 1866
Note that the first Antonino Valenti in the record is not the father. He is named further in the record (also Antonino Valenti :-) )

Record #44
Dated 22 September 1866 at 10 AM at the town office in Comitini
Appearing before the official was Antonino Valenti, son of deceased Girlando, age 40, sulfur miner living in Comitini, to present a female child born yesterday (21st) to Rosa Licata, 24, and to Antonino Valenti son of Vincenzo, age 27, sulfur miner, married couple, at the home of the parents. The child was given the name GIUSEPPA.

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... 1245368565

Could not get you Angelo Maniglia's birth record. The online records begin at 1866. He seems to be born about 1861.

T.

T.
amaniglia

Post by amaniglia »

By the way, the spelling is MANIGLIA---not as above. Only one "N".
Thanks
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Great Find T a Hug for you
Marriage of Angelo Maniglia and Giuseppa Valenti
INDEX#14
1883 Nov 24 in the town of Comitini appeared Angelo Maniglia, age 24, sulfur miner born in Favara residing in Comitini son of deceased Stefano Manglia and deceased Maria Sanfratello married Giuseppa Valenti age 17 farmer born in Comitini residing in Comitini daughter Antonino Valenti and Rosa Licata

CLICK ON IMAGE CLICK TO ENLARGE

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Grazie mille, Marty! :-)

That confirms the parents on the birth record I posted for Giuseppa/Josephine!!
Love when that happens :-D

Marriage in 1883, Antonino born in 1896... more children between 1883 and 1896?
We need to search, il mio amico!

T.
amaniglia

Post by amaniglia »

Amazing. I'm flabbergasted at how you so quickly were able to get to the sources and get the information. It's absolutely fascinating to find out about your ancestors. Wets the appetite for more. Many thanks
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

amaniglia wrote:Amazing. I'm flabbergasted at how you so quickly were able to get to the sources and get the information. It's absolutely fascinating to find out about your ancestors. Wets the appetite for more. Many thanks

It certainly does!

T.