How to read old records from Prizzi

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
veggiemuffin

How to read old records from Prizzi

Post by veggiemuffin »

I have been going through images of records on FamilySearch.org of marriages, births, deaths, etc from 1866-1910 (it says). But I'm having trouble understanding what I'm looking at. Maybe someone who is more knowledgeable about these records can give me a clue.

The first page of a group is always the Registro Degli Atti do Matrimonio. It has very little on the page except the names of the two parties being married and the year at the top left. Looks sort of like a title page.

Next is Atto di Nascita for the municipality of Prizzi. Dates are way before the marriage date so I think this is about the date of one of the people being married?

Next is Certificato di Seguita Pubblicazione, which has a lot of writing, a couple of pages. What is this about? My translation dictionary doesn't help me figure this one out at all.

Next is Atto di Morte, which I know is someone's death but whose?

Last is another Atto di Nacscita. Another birth - possibly the other marriage partner, or a child.

These are difficult to read even if I knew Italian but once I know what the forms are about it will help me figure them out (I hope). All the records seem to be in the same format.

Thanks for any help at all.
carubia
Master
Master

Re: How to read old records from Prizzi

Post by carubia »

If these records were all together as one set, rather than as separate bunches of similar records, then it appears that you're looking at Allegati, which are records that one would submit in order to get married. When a coupled married they needed to present their own birth records. This would verify their ages and parentage (so that they were of legal age and not too closely related) and also in the margin of the birth cert would be indicated any previous marriages, so that they know neither of these people is committing bigamy. The death cert would probably be that of a parent of the bride or groom, since the parents' permission was required to get married if someone was under a certain age, unless the parent was dead. Another possibility is that the death record is for a previous spouse of the bride or groom. Once a couple announced their intention to get married, this would be announced on 3 consecutive Sundays in church and posted, as per the Council of Trent, in order to give anyone a chance to object to the marriage. ("If anyone knows a reason why these 2 people should not be joined in matrimony....") These marriage banns are what the Pubblicazione is referring to.
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Post the link to the records someone will help

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
veggiemuffin

Post by veggiemuffin »

You're right - it is Allegati. I should have said that but I don't know what is relevant. At the top of the first page it says Coperta Pei Fascicoli Degli Allegati. I looked up most of the words so I have an idea what that means. But still couldn't figure out why all those extra records were in there with the marriage record. Your explanation makes sense. Having those records all together will be very useful once I find the ones for my ancestor. Thanks!