Help with research from Sicignano, Salerno

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
terrimls

Help with research from Sicignano, Salerno

Post by terrimls »

Hi, I would appreciate help with how to research my ancestors from Sicgnano. My grandfather was born in the US in 1899, his family came over from Naples in 1894. Until now, I have been only able to trace records here in the US as I did not know the commune that his family was from. I found today on her naturalization certificate, that my grandfather's sister Louisa Margarella (B April 1891) was born in Sicignano. She also had an older sister Catherine and brother Joseph (born June 7 1893) who were also born there.

My great grandparents are Frank Margarella (born 1865) and Philomena (or Filomena) Scala (born 1869).

Now that I have the commune can anyone give me advice where to start? Are there any resources online or will I need to write to request the certificates? If I need to write is there a protocol I should follow?

I would very much appreciate any help you could provide.

Thanks
Terri
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Re: Help with research from Sicignano, Salerno

Post by Italysearcher »

The State Archives of Salerno house catalogs that document the civil state history of families and people who lived in the historic territory and the communities of the present province. These cover the period from 1809-1919 and fall into three main categories: civil state records (from the napoleonic period through the restoration and to the italian state), the draft lists for males who were called up, and military cover sheets that attest, for simple soldiers and sub-officers, to the military service given through release. The resources are searchable through inventories made available to users. At the library staff assistance is available for ancestral research who will also work by correspondence. One can make copies of documents.

The above is from the http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... nd-sources.
You can either write to them for records or directly to the town. Keep your requests simple and direct. They don't need to know how you found out the town (as described above).
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Welcome to IG website are you sure Francesco Margarella (born 1865) and Filomena Scala (born 1869) weren't born somewhere else? Contursi Terme Salerno perhaps

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
terrimls

Post by terrimls »

Hi Marty no I do not. I was hoping perhaps they were married there as their older children were born there but entirely possible philomena and frank were born elsewhere. Do you have information for them in the city you list? Thanks, Terri
terrimls

Post by terrimls »

Thanks ann.

One other question - frank and philomena came to US in 1892 and 1894 respectively but I can not find on Ellis island website. Is there somewhere else to search immigration records?